GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW will unveil US-spec Golf R at Detroit Auto Show

Stifun

Ready to race!
I have a feeling guys once APR gets a hold of the S3 Sedan coming that car will be a BEAST! It already does 0-60mph in 4.8-4.9 bone stock. Once it gets modded and tuned that sucker will be a SLEEPER!

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I have a feeling guys once APR gets a hold of the S3 Sedan coming that car will be a BEAST! It already does 0-60mph in 4.8-4.9 bone stock. Once it gets modded and tuned that sucker will be a SLEEPER!

Yeah... it's the exact same running gear as the Golf R. What ever APR and other tuners do to one, they will do to the other. Except the S3 will unfortunately end up being substantially more money.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Agreed on tuning potential.

and yes, S3 is DSG only. R will be both. It's the same car, lol.

chris101

Ready to race!
Looks like Audi will eventually not even offer the S4 in manual at this rate :( It will be a sad day when DSG is the only option for Audi. I lost all interest in Lexus and Mercedes when they went all auto a few years ago too. Heck, even the Porsche PDK only thing is a turn off for me (good thing I love old-skool air cooled 911s though ;) )

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
really? with the S4 starting around $46k-$47k?

Look at the a3 it is priced nearly at A4 levels as well... "Starting" means nothing.

A3 with quattro and the 2.0 and sound is 38k
A4 is like 42k equally equipped.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
interesting rims on this golf R looks nice , havent seen those yet on the R. perhaps factory?

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
interesting rims on this golf R looks nice , havent seen those yet on the R. perhaps factory?

I've seen those wheels on a few R photos. They are definitely an OEM option. I think the ones we see in all the pics are the 19s, so I'm HOPING so hard that these are the standard 18's. If they are, I wouldn't replace them with aftermarket wheels. I think they look great.

Here is an R on the showroom floor with them:

krische

vdubber in training
I've seen those wheels on a few R photos. They are definitely an OEM option. I think the ones we see in all the pics are the 19s, so I'm HOPING so hard that these are the standard 18's. If they are, I wouldn't replace them with aftermarket wheels. I think they look great.

The tire sidewall looks way to narrow for those to be 18's.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Just confirmed by reading through the vw.de site, those are indeed the OEM, but they are 19's.

Google Translation:

Sportiness goes into the next round. With the serienmäßigen18-inch alloy wheels "Cadiz" with 225 mm wide tires - optionally also in the 19-inch version - the new Golf R a lot of respect on the road. Not only during driving. The wheels in cast aluminum'll also stand in for a perfect look. And even with the 19-inch alloy wheels "Pretoria" optional makes the new Golf R is a good figure. The black-painted brake calipers along with "R" logo emphasize the sporty overall impression.

The one's we've seen pictured are the Cadiz 19's with 235/35/ZR19's on them. You can zoom in on pics and read the tire size. But, according to this, those wheels come in 18's and 19's. I'm guessing these sexy ones are the optional 19" Pretoria mentioned above. I wonder if they'll be offered here. Not sure I would want 19's anyway though.

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Smart buyers will buy an a3 and k04 it with supporting mods...

I know that feel ;) :D

Just confirmed by reading through the vw.de site, those are indeed the OEM, but they are 19's.

Google Translation:

The one's we've seen pictured are the Cadiz 19's with 235/35/ZR19's on them. You can zoom in on pics and read the tire size. But, according to this, those wheels come in 18's and 19's. I'm guessing these sexy ones are the optional 19" Pretoria mentioned above. I wonder if they'll be offered here. Not sure I would want 19's anyway though.

wow, finally some nice ass OEM wheels offered by VW, not bad.

Is the base a3 awd?

butchered by autocorrecr

doubt it - fwd.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
R wheels always looked great...

MK4, Mk5, Mk6 and now mk7. Them and the lagunas I wouldn't ever swap out. For street cred "weight savings"