GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe Install Pricing?

JayJayTheJetPlane

Ready to race!
Hey guys, so I recently bought a 3" beluga catless downpipe (ccta) for 150$ and i want to have it installed on my mk6 that is cbfa to the stock catback....I let tyrolsports shop (10 min drive from me in nyc) know what I have and need from them welding/install wise, they quoted me $450+Tax....now i know we all live in different areas so price differences will vary but this seems quite steep to me, almost 500 to cut and weld?! Thats more than the setup itself...anyone have any experience with having this done to their car? Is this around the ballpark in pricing?

jon570

Ready to race!

You do have to either cut 2 of the tabs or bore the holes out of two mounting tabs to fit a CBFA. You will also need to have another oxygen sensor welded onto the lower section right after where the DP mounts to the subframe. Other than that, nothing needs to change. Buy an oxygen sensor bung, take it to a welder to put on, then line up your stock DP gasket to the CCTA downpipe and itll give you an idea of where you need to bore out the holes. Its not difficult. Easily $400 saved after buying the parts and paying a welder.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
It's comical what decently known shops in this area charge for a downpipe install. It takes an hour, max.

Obviously this is a little different as the flange needs to be modified and the bung welded. Any decent exhaust shop should take care of that relatively cheap. Then pay a local forum member a couple bucks to install, if you aren't DIY

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i paid $80 bucks at my local mechanic. 1 hour of labor.
Granted i bought a downpipe that actually fits my car, CCTA, and didnt need to modify it.

JayJayTheJetPlane

Ready to race!
It's comical what decently known shops in this area charge for a downpipe install. It takes an hour, max.

Obviously this is a little different as the flange needs to be modified and the bung welded. Any decent exhaust shop should take care of that relatively cheap. Then pay a local forum member a couple bucks to install, if you aren't DIY

Seriously man...Once i saw they were near I figured theyd be the best bet but since they have fame they can charge those crazy prices and get away with it lol...I've done most things on my own but the problem is I dont have any stands for the car and i need cuts and welds done so figured its just easiest to get it there done on the spot....But yeah im going to start looking around little local exhaust shops and see if they can do the work for much cheaper

jon570

Ready to race!
Exactly lol every other downpipe is $300^ So for the steal of a price Im hoping modifying would still keep me under that cost

I actually used a piece from AEM on mine called a no weld oxygen sensor bung. worked very well. Cost $40 on amazon, couldnt find a welder in my time frame so i gave it a try figuring if i hated it i could return it but it worked quite well and doesnt leak.

Last edited:

JayJayTheJetPlane

Ready to race!
So went to another 2 local shops today and yup they looked at this down pipe baffled, both charged me 300 & 350 to install an o2bung and instal whole down pipe...they also said it would take about 3 hours -_- so I'm going to safely assume these people don't know what they're doing when it comes to gti exhaust systems

Laimface

Ready to race!
I got mine installed for free because I was having my clutch installed :D