GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Dongle issues...

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Ever since I updated my IPhone to the new IOS 11, I have not been able to connect my dongle to my IPhone. I used to have occasional problems (after several logging runs, it would disconnect [similar issue]) and I would be able to either remove battery terminal for a few minutes or unplug dongle and forget Bluetooth and reconnect. This always worked for me. Now I am getting a different message now than I used to when having sporadic problems before. Right now, It will connect to Bluetooth (in IPhone settings) and when I open the APR Mobile app it will have a "light" shade of green meaning its "connected but not functional". When it is functional (normal operation) the light shade of green turns to a dark shade of green and the ECU programs and Logging options come up; and this is not happening anymore. When I select the green connection indicator button in the app it says "communicating with ECU; Checking if were Flashing..." which is a new and weird message. I can still switch programs from the cruise control and all that fun stuff, but now logging is at a stale mate. Unfortunately I think I left my VAGCOM at the other house in PA, so this is all I have at the moment. I have had nothing but problems with the dongle the last year and a half. When I first bought it I was stage 1 and all I used it for was program switching and deleting codes; and it worked great. Now that I am running 100 oct daily and spraying tons of meth I need to log at least once a week to make sure everything is running right. Ever since using it to log regularly I have had nothing but problems. I am going to try to connect with my Surface Pro and see if its just an IOS issue or if its a bad dongle.

I was hoping APR would chime in and let me/us know if they are having a problem with the new IOS. I have read old posts a while ago and there seemed to be the same issue with an older IOS update that apr had some problems with apple getting the updates in on time or something. I dunno.. I just want my dongle to work.

The bright side is that this gives me a reason P&P my k04 and run a custom eurodyne or Cobb tune! :)

Anyone else having these issues??

ahard48

Ready to race!
That's a bummer considering I have been wanting to purchase an APR Dongle. Have you submitted a support ticket through APR's website, PM Arin, or post in APR's 2.0 thread? Might get more publicity that way for answers.

Sauce118

Ready to race!
That's a bummer considering I have been wanting to purchase an APR Dongle. Have you submitted a support ticket through APR's website, PM Arin, or post in APR's 2.0 thread? Might get more publicity that way for answers.

Yea Good idea... I was giving them a couple weeks to get up to speed with these new apple updates. I have been working like crazy since I posted and still haven't had the chance to try and connect w/ my surface instead of iPhone. Other than the connectivity issues, I absolutely love the dongle/mobile app. I leave mine plugged in all the time and when I want to switch programs, or get a CEL, or lock my ECU, or go into Valet mode, or re-calibrate the TB to stock position ( I know there is plenty of debate about this) all it takes is a quick press of an icon on the phone screen. Also, I have not compared the dongle to the "turbo" button on VCDS, but I'm pretty sure the dongle gives significantly more data points per x period of time. Meaning you get more/quicker readings with the dongle than you do w/ VCDS. Like I said I have never verified this but that Is one of their selling points.

Still haven't been able to connect w/ my iPhone since posting this thread. I will try tonight to get hooked up with my surface. I am currently out of meth and cant pick up more meth until later this week, so I have been running 93oct K04 file instead of the 100oct, which is what I normally run daily. Because of this, I haven't had the need to make sure there is no CF in regards to timing pull on the 93 file. Once I pick up the meth and pop back over to 100oct, I will need to log my car somehow. Hopefully I can get this figured out within the next week or so. I do, however, know that it is not a OBD2 port problem. Everything else I plug in to that port works ad advertised.

Last edited:

DarianBx3

Ready to race!
The APR mobile iOS app is literally not even on the App Store right now. Doesn't exist. I submitted a support ticket.

But also, in the latest update log before the app was pulled, they mentioned a Gen2 dongle. Says it just supports the new Simos ECUs, who knows if it has increased functionality.

APR Mobile has worked fine for me on my 7+ throughout iOS 11.

Noodle1

Ready to race!
Same happened to me, i sent a support ticket, i was sent a dongle and it dosent work on my galaxy, iphone or Ipad, way to go apr.

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Yea. I’m gonna call them tomorrow. I either need to know if it’s gonna Get fixed or I’m gonna have to figure out another way to log by next week if I want to run my meth. It is bullsh!t though. Nothing telling us this Was gonna happen, nothing telling us when it’s gonna be fixed. Nothing........

DarianBx3

Ready to race!
Yea. I’m gonna call them tomorrow. I either need to know if it’s gonna Get fixed or I’m gonna have to figure out another way to log by next week if I want to run my meth. It is bullsh!t though. Nothing telling us this Was gonna happen, nothing telling us when it’s gonna be fixed. Nothing........

They responded to my support ticket telling me that it will be fixed and re submitted to the app store next week or the week after. I'm assuming they pulled the app since people were having problems.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
More reason for me to hold off on upgrading the ios on my iPhone.

So doesn't currently work with the APR Bluetooth dongle and connecting to external USB DAC/ AMPS for headphones seem to be problematic as well.

Hopefully APR gets the app updated in a timely manner.

Somewhat off topic however companies like Oppo, Audioquest, and Mojo have been trying to fix their USB DAC/ AMP iPhone compatibility issues for at least 1 year with little success... hopefully this isn't the same with the APR bluetooth dongle as well.

Sauce118

Ready to race!
More reason for me to hold off on upgrading the ios on my iPhone.

So doesn't currently work with the APR Bluetooth dongle and connecting to external USB DAC/ AMPS for headphones seem to be problematic as well.

Hopefully APR gets the app updated in a timely manner.

Somewhat off topic however companies like Oppo, Audioquest, and Mojo have been trying to fix their USB DAC/ AMP iPhone compatibility issues for at least 1 year with little success... hopefully this isn't the same with the APR bluetooth dongle as well.

Before I made this thread, I was researching to see if maybe it was something I was doing (that I didn't know I was doing) or if I could do something differently to make it work, etc. I came across a thread on vortex years back when the dongle first came out and the same thing happened. I followed the thread to the end and it took apr literally almost a year to get it "updated" and working properly. APR blamed it on apple, saying that they submitted their data in time, but apple still didn't do their part. I am the furthest thing from a programmer so I have no idea what that all entails, but I just hope it doesn't take them that long this time.

I do eventually wanna port and polish my turbo and run custom eurodyne software, but I am not ready to do this yet cuz my GTI is my daily. But if this doesn't get sorted out it looks like I might be doing that sooner rather than later.

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Looks like the app is back in the App Store. I will try and connect the dongle tomorrow morning and report back... fingers crossed

ahard48

Ready to race!
Looks like the app is back in the App Store. I will try and connect the dongle tomorrow morning and report back... fingers crossed

Yes please let us know!

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Okay.. well the app "connects" now. I had to physically remove the dongle, forget it on Bluetooth, turn car off; then reverse the procedure... The app is also back in the app store as of now, so I was able to just delete it and re-install it to start fresh. There are still problems though; it connects (seems very intermittent however) to the Logging function and the Fault code function. Butttttt, it still tells me "ECMS NOT ENABLED" when I try to select that particular tab in the app. Which, for those of you who don't know, is the program/file/flash switching function. I am still able to switch files via the cruise control (the old school way), but for some reason the app will not read/communicate properly with my ECU to display my installed files, so I cannot switch on the fly. This is not a huge issue, however, it still does not work as advertised. I am still keeping my fingers crossed that they got to a certain point and released the app, but are still working to improve the efficiency of it. I am, however, hoping after a few weeks I will be able to use the dongle/app to switch programs again (Just an optimistic thought, as APR hasn't made any statements). The only time this really becomes an issue for me is when I run out of meth while driving on the highway or something. When this happens I would like to be able to switch from 100 octane to 93 real quick. I mean, the HFS-4 controller will cut boost to spring pressure (7-8 psi) when the low level sensor in the tank is tripped, but who wants to putt around on 7-8 psi when all they have to do is switch the file from 100 to 93 by the "press of a button/icon". I can always just pull over and switch back to 93 via cruise control, but it was nice just to be able to press a button/icon while driving and switch programs until I was able to make a new mixture and fill the meth tank up. Anyways; all in all, it looks like they are making progress at least, which is good. I still am hoping for a fully functional device in the near future, as that is how it is advertised on their site and that is what I bought the dongle for. I have been using it for some time now (until this happened) with no problems. I was hoping APR would chime in on this thread and give us an update by now, but I guess that's not gonna happen. Best of luck to everyone...

Last edited:

medolave

^new update released today to fix that issue, or so the app store says. Haven't tried it. (Version 1.0.17)

Last edited:

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Okay.. Tranny is out right now. Will be back in tomorrow.. Hopefully by then she'll be gtg. Anyone else verify that it works? Thanks medolave