GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P0413 Woes

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

I've got a nice P0413 code - Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve "A" Circuit Open.

I've checked the Solenoid wires and they appear to be in good shape and connected.

I've checked the wire connected to the secondary air pump next to the drivers side fog light and that appears to be in good shape and connected.

What would be the next steps in figuring out whats wrong? Replacing the solenoid? Running some sort of test through Vagcom (Which I don't have)? I'd hate to take it to the dealership

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
The problem still persists.

I disconnected the 2 wires coming off of the secondary air injection valve and inspected the ends. Everything was clean and free of debris. Insepcted the wiring loom; nothing frayed, everything looked clean.

Got under the car and inspected the secondary air pump. Couldn't see any cracks; all 4 bolts on the outer edges not cracked, still intact. Disconnected the plug and inspected. It was clean and free of debris. Plugged it back in. Wiring loom looked clean, no frays.

Inspected the fuses for the hell of it. None of the fuses were blown; didn't think they would be.

cleared the engine code, went for a short drive. turned the car off and back on and boom the CEL came back.

I have noticed that the secondary air pump no longer runs on old starts. Really not sure what the next step would be.

Is it time to replace the secondary air injection valve?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/secondary-air-injection-valve/06j131097d/

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Hmmm I wonder if a dying battery could result in this CEL? Not enough power getting to the SAI on startup??

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Bumping this thread again.

P0413 code is still present after switching to a new battery.

Inspected the wiring harness coming from the pump and the 2 wiring harnesses that come off the check valve attached to the engine. All appear to be fine; clean and nothing ripped. I unplugged them all and inspected the pins and they look fine.

Are there any other wires/sensors I should be looking for?

The pump doesn't run at all on cold starts anymore.

If the pump was bad, would I be throwing a different code?

Mk6 Steve

Ready to race!
I literally just had a SAI “insufficient flow” pop up right after installing the K04. It turned out to be a wad of steel wool lodged in the breather hose LOL WTF?! Only my luck....the previous owner probably used it as a rudimentary air filter if I had to guess

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I literally just had a SAI “insufficient flow” pop up right after installing the K04. It turned out to be a wad of steel wool lodged in the breather hose LOL WTF?! Only my luck....the previous owner probably used it as a rudimentary air filter if I had to guess

LOL nice. Mine isn't the "insufficient flow" code... kinda wish it was considering how well I've been with electrical stuff lately.

Does anyone know what the switching valve A is? is this the "combo-valve"?

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Hmmmm maybe its the R2 Secondary air injection (AIR) pump relay on the fuse box...

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Wasn't the R2 relay.

Would it be the SAI pressure sensor? Pretty sure it would throw a different code if it was that.

Stupid PZEV models and their extra emissions crap. Might need a VAGCOM for this one.

Anyone have any thoughts at all?

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Does anyone know where the N112 valve is located on our cars?

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Just to follow up on this. Ordered a new pressure sensor - the one that attaches to the check/combo valve.

Installed it and cleared the CEL. Waited for a cold start and I heard the secondary air pump kick on for 20/30 seconds like normal!

Not sure if this issue is solved yet though because when I turned her off and back on the same CEL came back... maybe it’ll take a few times for it to stop popping up?

I don’t get it because everything sounded normal on this last cold start but still the CEL.

We’ll see what happens tomorrow am when I start it for work. Hoping this sensor fixes it. Cleared the CEL again so she should be good to go for another cold start

Darkryd87

not sure if this is still applicable, but I've heard people doing a sai delete

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
not sure if this is still applicable, but I've heard people doing a sai delete

Yes, I've heard of this too but I believe it will still leave you with a check engine light.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Permanent DTC still won't go away. Maybe I have to perform a certain drive cycle for it to register? I'm not sure.

Ever since replacing the pressure sensor when I clear the CEL and wait for a cold start the SAI pump will kick on at start up for 20/30 seconds and then turn off, like normal. But the next time I turn the car off and back on the CEL appears again and the pump doesn't kick on.

I'm stumped and short of replacing the check/combo valve, I'm not sure what to do. Doesn't seem like the combo valve is faulty since the system will run when the CEL is cleared upon a cold start up.