GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VIDEOS: 09 TSI K04 DSG vs. 09 JB4 335xi

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
When you get over 500whp with the N54 I wouldn't call the car streetable because of the crazy turbo lag you have until 4000rpms. You're basically driving a slug and once you hit the gas you lose your shit.

jaycheetwood

Go Kart Champion
looks like rear seats are out in that car. also, don't tracks require you to have a cage once your in the 11's or something?

I think it depends on the tracks and who you know on the tracks. I didnt hear of him being kicked off for it. I know some tracks are crazy about it. It seems in all their videos of being in the 11s, cages were never required.

When you get over 500whp with the N54 I wouldn't call the car streetable because of the crazy turbo lag you have until 4000rpms. You're basically driving a slug and once you hit the gas you lose your shit.

Based on the below dyno, I would say its fairly streetable at 500WHP, makes 300WHP @ 3200RPM and 500WTQ about the same time. I dont think that would feel all too laggy to me.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
^^Actually that's a nice solid graph and right at 500rwhp sio perhaps its even at the higher power levels when drivability suffers... let me pull up the one I was talking about...

jaycheetwood

Go Kart Champion
^^Actually that's a nice solid graph and right at 500rwhp let me pull up the one I was talking about...

My graph was not a single turbo upgrade though, this is with the RB turbo upgrades on the N54. Personally I think 500whp would be the perfect amount for that car for a daily, i feel after that traction becomes a bitch and the wear and tear increases dramatically.

Either way, the engine has great potential.

I still like a K04 GTi though, bang for buck right there.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

Basically car is slower until 4k rpms than a stock N54... Completely stupid in a DD if you ask me. But that 500whp dyno looks solid.

jaycheetwood

Go Kart Champion

Basically car is slower until 4k rpms than a stock N54... Completely stupid in a DD if you ask me. But that 500whp dyno looks solid.

Yeah the TQ in that graph blows, mods? Single turbo?

With the upgraded twins you seem to still keep up the WTQ which to me is what is needed for DD over high whp.

500WTQ/500WHP N54 would be my ideal. I love TQ.

reillyse

Go Kart Champion
He only trapped 106 with those mods? You'd probably have a real close run with a JB4 335i.

I saw your buddy didn't have a passenger, but I'm still surprised at how well a 106mph car kept up with a 112mph car. Didn't seem like a 6mph difference in traps. Given that info, I was expecting you to walk him even with the passenger.

When we get time to do a 60-120 roll u will see me pulling harder. At the drag strip I start walking him around the 1/8th mile mark @ which point I am going about 89-90 mph which you really dont get to see in these videos

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
I think the rb turbos are a better turbo swap for a daily duty /streetable car...what's even crazier is that upgrade is cheaper than putting a stage 3 kit on a gti

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtP1

Go Kart Champion
I guess i dont get this.. fully bolted and tuned 335i's are in the high 11s easily and low 11s with some more work. And are making 650WHP stock engine on single turbo upgrades running low 10s. The N54 also has forged internals stock.

how much more can be asked for?

For $2500 in mods you can make 400WHP.

Op did great in beating this one, but this one is just a simple tune, Auto and an AWD model. Good kill either way, but there are "quicker" setups (RWD, 6 speed, more mods.) Not discrediting the OP though as his 112MPH trap is respectable to me.

I dunno, according to the interwebz here no gti has ever lost to a 335 :p

i was, of course, being sarcastic. 335 is a great car to build on.

jaycheetwood

Go Kart Champion
I dunno, according to the interwebz here no gti has ever lost to a 335 :p

i was, of course, being sarcastic. 335 is a great car to build on.

Like i said, not hating on the GTi at all. I think both are very capable cars. Especially a K04 GTi.