GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Euro Cup Holder Install **Pretty Easy Install**

arilious

Passed Driver's Ed
this DIY is missing pictures FYI... and this install was a B***h to complete because i was missing crucial parts... took me 5ish hours to complete using this broken DIY...

1. biggest thing was getting the mouldings and clips all back into place...

2. the ESP clip does not slide to the right very easily like he says... broke two clips and lost a metal piece in the abyss that holds my ESP button in place...

I'm by no means a very experienced mechanic.. but i do not recommend this... all of the work, bloody hands, broken clips, and frustration are not worth a $30 product. However, it does look nice.......

Last edited:

chinoyboi14

Ready to race!
this DIY is missing pictures FYI... and this install was a B***h to complete because i was missing crucial parts... took me 5ish hours to complete using this broken DIY...

2. the ESP clip does not slide to the right very easily like he says... broke two clips and lost a metal piece in the abyss that holds my ESP button in place...

I'm by no means a very experience mechanic.. nor should i be.. i do not recommend this... all of the work, bloody hands, broken clips, and frustration are not worth a $30 product. However, it does look nice.......
The ESP button has a little tab on the harness side that you press on in order to slide it out of the button.

arilious

Passed Driver's Ed
haha, oh, i pressed it... many times...

inc55

Go Kart Champion

I'm by no means a very experienced mechanic.. but i do not recommend this... all of the work, bloody hands, broken clips, and frustration are not worth a $30 product. However, it does look nice.......

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I never intended on making this DIY. I just wanted to help others install this awesome cup holder. If my intention was to make the DIY I would make it much nicer with many pics and probably a video. This DIY is a combo of my finished pics with pics from another DIY. I hope others aren't discouraged by your difficult install. Other people think its easier.

camelgolf

Ready to race!
Even though it was time consuming I found it a pretty easy install even with the couple pictures that were missing lol

zVp

Go Kart Champion
I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I never intended on making this DIY. I just wanted to help others install this awesome cup holder. If my intention was to make the DIY I would make it much nicer with many pics and probably a video. This DIY is a combo of my finished pics with pics from another DIY. I hope others aren't discouraged by your difficult install. Other people think its easier.

You did a good job with this DIY. It's not perfect by any means, but it shows a good overview on the process in installing it. And mind you, you wrote it almost 3 years ago so it's obviously dated.

Not sure why the other member complained about it. If there were no pictures/missing pictures and missing information, he could have found another DIY to use that was more relevant to his learning methods, rather than insult your DIY. You did a good job and I think I used your instructions to install mine. I had some nicks and cuts and cursed many, many times, but in the end, it helped tremendously and I wouldn't have done it without your DIY. And I'm sure many other members can attest to that as well.

Good job dude!

P_m651

Ready to race!
I just installed my unit!! Looks and feels good.

Thanks OP for the initial instructions. ~2hr 10min. Didn't break anything, and didn't get any bloody scrapes, but probably installed/reinstalled everything about twice in order to get all the clips lined up. And no extra screws left over!

Getting the midi out was a good pain. Another was that I wasn't able to remove the entire console, so I just lifted it up as far as I could get it, and dealt with the cupholder screws blindly.

I found this other DIY thread to be a helpful supplement.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...er-console&p=67133117&viewfull=1#post67133117

finallyamused

Ready to race!
Installed it in an hour, wasn't hard, a little tedious and had to be careful. I don't see why people are complaining, even without pictures, common sense can get you through 95% of this.

P_m651

Ready to race!
Ok been living the Euro Cupholder Life for a few days now. I find it's hard to have enough space for my drinks, since I store so much more crap in it now.

ThatGTI

Go Kart Champion
I'm from the UK so I'm lost with this. What's it like for you guys then before you do the conversion? What's in its place?

Our stock cupholder is the one on the left, then people upgrade to the Euro one which is on the right.

triggerking135

Passed Driver's Ed
Our stock cupholder is the one on the left, then people upgrade to the Euro one which is on the right.

Thanks for that! Didn't realise there was such a difference.

Although in the US you guys benefit from the orange reflectors on the front bumper. I know it's a matter of opinion but I like them. Over here the only cars that still have those are high end BMW's so to me it makes the US golf look expensive, and lush.