GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY DSG Fluid change tips and tricks

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Yes, same exact procedure.

VSWAGN

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok, first off, thank you so much for this! I've been going round in circles over this DSG service, but I don't think I could sleep at night knowing that I dropped $400+ on a fluid drain that I could do myself in front of my house. Problem is, I have no tools and have very little experience under the hood, haha (hey man, everybody gotta start somewhere).

So, between this DIY and the video posted, do you think I can do this by myself and not blow up my car? The most I've ever done under the hood is an oil filter change and...replace my tires (if that counts). Is the allen wrenches and the funnel all I need (aside from a jack and blocks)?

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Ok, first off, thank you so much for this! I've been going round in circles over this DSG service, but I don't think I could sleep at night knowing that I dropped $400+ on a fluid drain that I could do myself in front of my house. Problem is, I have no tools and have very little experience under the hood, haha (hey man, everybody gotta start somewhere).

So, between this DIY and the video posted, do you think I can do this by myself and not blow up my car? The most I've ever done under the hood is an oil filter change and...replace my tires (if that counts). Is the allen wrenches and the funnel all I need (aside from a jack and blocks)?

The allen wrench for the transmission plug is HUGE!! Special order online or autozone has them too.

VSWAGN

Passed Driver's Ed
The allen wrench for the transmission plug is HUGE!! Special order online or autozone has them too.

Fantastic! Thanks for the response, I'm gonna try and knock this out in the next week or two. I gotta order the parts and tools, but other than that, I think I got the confidence now to tackle it.

Jet08

Ready to race!
I used a 14mm socket mount allen rather than the standard L allen key and I am glad I did as the dealer service department decided that the plug needed to be torqued to over 100 newton metres at the last DSG service.

relicstrat

Passed Driver's Ed
Here is 2013R's youtube video on how to do the DSG fluid change. Vagcom temp monitoring starts at 15:01 of the video.

zrickety

The Fixer
I had a leak and had to replace that o-ring again. The torque specs are 15 ft lb for the filter housing, 33 ft lb for that drain plug (use new aluminum washer).