GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKVI GTI Reliability!

mideastbeast61

MKVI GTI Reliability! NEED FEEDBACK!!

Hey guys,
I am new to the forum, but I intend on getting a GTI very soon. I was wondering how reliable the car was, and if there is any problems with the DSG. I heard the DSG transmission used to have a lot of problems. Can you guys please tell me your experience with reliability with your 2010 GTI's and post some pictures of your car.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

kirahead

Ready to race!
Hey guys,
I am new to the forum, but I intend on getting a GTI very soon. I was wondering how reliable the car was, and if there is any problems with the DSG. I heard the DSG transmission used to have a lot of problems. Can you guys please tell me your experience with reliability with your 2010 GTI's and post some pictures of your car.

Thanks a lot.

Yo, Got a MKVI GTI adidas 2 months ago....absolutely amazing car. DSG, best gearbox on the road, no problems at all. My dealer told me t hat you shouldn't put it in N position when at a traffic light for example, because "the DSG gets confused" I think thats total crap...but yea. Safety, as good as a Benz IMHO. You never mentioned this but style, i think the best looking hatchback inside and out. And if its a GTI, even better!. Performance wise, stunning traction, rides very flat (can bearly feel body roll), Impressive acceleration, and the awesome exhaust pop! Theres just one thing people complain about. The rattle when accelerating from 2k-3.5k RPM, its not damaging the engine or anything, its just the wastegate from the turbo, but yes, it is annoying.

Ide love to upload pics..but i have no idea how...ill try later
:happyanim:

kirahead

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

Thanks a lot.

heres pics

Attachments

• DSC00422blocked.jpg
    DSC00422blocked.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 1,682
  • Image566 blocked.jpg
    Image566 blocked.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 1,308
  • tacho small.jpg
    tacho small.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 28,290
  • DSC00424.jpg
    DSC00424.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 1,412

kirahead

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

Thanks a lot.

some more pics...sry for the spam of pics XD Ohh and forget the LED DRL, wheels, seats (if u can see them) and rear lights, they are only for the GTI adidas

Attachments

• DSC00610blocked.jpg
    DSC00610blocked.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 870
  • DSC00430.jpg
    DSC00430.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 1,354
  • DSC00815.jpg
    DSC00815.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 784
  • Image664.jpg
    Image664.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 862

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Thats nice and all but the adidas version is not available in the states:D

BlkGti415

i got my 2011 gti 6 speed manual about two weeks ago, so far my trunk light never worked and my rear nozzle leaks window washer fluid. Both issues have not been big enough to annoy me yet. I only have about 250 miles on it.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Automobile Magazine just completed their long term test on the GTI - I only took a quick skim of it in Barnes & Nobel - but I think the only problem they had was a cel.

v8282w

Ready to race!
I have had my mk6 for 3 months and 5k miles. So far so good, but I'm not holding my breath. I didnt buy it because I thought vw's were reliable. This is my fourth gti. They are great cars if you don't mind a few hiccups now and then. If you want reliable, go buy a Jap car. Good luck with your choice.

jrusoff

My one year old GTI needed a fuel injector replaced after only 10k miles. And I don't think I'm the only one on this board that has had this problem.
JR

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I think that might be more common with a lot of new cars going to direct injection....the high pressure injectors will be a lot more demanding on fuel contamination, and it might just need one bad fill up from a bad batch of dirty gas to make it an issue...

Are the injectors covered under the 5 years powertrain warranty?

s2kguy

Ready to race!
Hmm, wonder if I got an odd ball GTI. I've read for months about DSG problems, rear window washer leaks, soft glass that chips, soft paint that chips, rattles, squeaks, creaks, under hood rattles, etc. But I've put on 13,500 miles in 14 months ownership with ZERO problems, none of the above. Couldn't be more pleased with the quality and reliability.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
To be fair, a lot of that I think is circumstantial...If you live in an area with bad road and rock on the road, you are more likely to find chipping, broken glass, and squeaks and rattle...

My DSG have so far been ok, I do get some paint chip and I can note some trim rattling and squeaking....I am a lot less anal about most of that so doesn't bother me that much. If some cheap tape mod can fix them then I'll try that. Some people are noting water leak, and if thats true it'll be interesting....

VEGASVWGTI

Ready to race!
Hmm, wonder if I got an odd ball GTI. I've read for months about DSG problems, rear window washer leaks, soft glass that chips, soft paint that chips, rattles, squeaks, creaks, under hood rattles, etc. But I've put on 13,500 miles in 14 months ownership with ZERO problems, none of the above. Couldn't be more pleased with the quality and reliability.

Certainly not normal to have ZERO issues. :eek: You've done well.

My MKV problem list from start to 50000 miles:

1)Windshield wiper blade driver side tension problem replace. (Day 2)
2) Still not wiping water replace windshield and readjust
3) Bi-Xenon bulb failure 20K replace/ different bulb and color
4) Went back replaced other bulb to match off color reduced quality replacement.
5) MDI display would go blank and remain completely red at temps over 110 degrees and would not come back on until after 30 minutes of driving with the A/C on. Had to be replaced
6) 6 Disk in dash changer became stingy with the CD's and would refuse to return them. Required complete replacement and lost a few CD's too.
7) DSG mechatronics failure requiring replacement somewhere around 30K had to import parts for repair. Took the dealer a month to realize what was wrong and I was not on the forums at the time to get opinions on the problem. It was in July and these already perform poorly in extreme heat even when working correctly. I finally drove it into the service bay and refused to drive it another mile until it was completely repaired. Not a good month! :mad0259:
8) Unknown oil leak week after a service requiring a return to the dealership for some type of gasket replacement.

There were some other issues but they were really minor and some others I cannot remember right now. Scary thing is I think I got off easy compared to some of the other problems I have read about.

So far on the MK6: 5500 Miles
1) Stange other wordly ticking from the B-pillar at odd and random intervals.
2) Irritating wind noice from driver door at 75+ mph on the interstate.
3) Rear wiper nozzel drippling at random and seemingly for no reason.
4) Left rear window intermittent auto up failure (you must hold it sometimes)
5) Irritating wastegate rattle 2-3K rpm's
6) I see already this will be another poor hot weather performer but it is not nearly as bad with the 6speed. Penalties are quite high for A/C usage unfortunately in the MKVI, worse than the V IMO.

Nothing major and I love the car but yes there are issues.

McQueen77

Banned
I have had my mk6 for 3 months and 5k miles. So far so good, but I'm not holding my breath. I didnt buy it because I thought vw's were reliable. This is my fourth gti. They are great cars if you don't mind a few hiccups now and then. If you want reliable, go buy a Jap car. Good luck with your choice.[/QUOTE

Fourth GTI? That's cool, you're an old school loyalist. Here here. I'm going on 5 months in a car I got CPO w/9500 miles on it. No mechanical issues thus far, just a wind noise faulty seal issue on the passenger's side that was fixed at dealer. Annoying seals rubbing on metal sound in driver's side that I believe someone on here may have found a fix too, but a minor gripe nonetheless. I imagine the GTI will be reliable enough and if something goes out on it, thats what the warranty is for. So I have to roll in a loaner for a week. Small trade-off for such a great car.