GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

*****2.0t build thread

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
if it's any less I still have the pride of knowing I did it ALL myself.

This is the main reason I don't give a shit what a dyno says.

I pieced together a turbo kit and made it run myself. I may not have tuned it solo, but considering almost everyone just buys a kit, I'll still be proud no matter what.

Props for doing it yourself.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
This is the main reason I don't give a shit what a dyno says.

I pieced together a turbo kit and made it run myself. I may not have tuned it solo, but considering almost everyone just buys a kit, I'll still be proud no matter what.

Props for doing it yourself.

Fuckin right man. Thanks, and props to you as well!

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I can guarantee it will say more than 450whp

That would be awesome for sure! I know I can push it more, but the goal is 450whp. If I can then get it to hook up a little better I'll be set. As is I have zero third gear traction unless it's 80 degrees out. It's a fun daily beater, and it should (and does) put sad faces on a LOT of higher priced and way higher power cars. Works for me!

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
As is I have zero third gear traction unless it's 80 degrees out.

This makes me want to race a 3+ car.

With the 5858 I can pretty easily maintain traction in 3rd up till about 23psi, granted the power band is substanitally smaller than a 3071rwg. I'm thinking the later spool helps with traction.

Makes me wonder how it would play out from a roll as everyone with 3+ talks about just spinning.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
This makes me want to race a 3+ car.

With the 5858 I can pretty easily maintain traction in 3rd up till about 23psi, granted the power band is substanitally smaller than a 3071rwg. I'm thinking the later spool helps with traction.

Makes me wonder how it would play out from a roll as everyone with 3+ talks about just spinning.

It's the later spool that's helping you. Mine is a T25 manifold, so it spools even quicker. I've been tuning (or trying to) tune a friends T3 GT3071 on an FSI and it spool a lot later than mine. With that being said, it gets like 100% traction in third and feels fast as hell.

I pedal the shit out of it and can get around it. I over exaggerated a tad, I can get a decent amount of traction in 3rd in probably 70 degree plus weather, but it still spins. 2nd gear could start a forest fire any way you twist it though. These tires work really well when it's warm, and really bad when it's cooler.

Edit: I'll be lining up against said FSI in he next few weeks and can let you know what kind of differences I see. I'm 99.99% sure my car makes a decent amount more power than his, but we'll see.

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
It's the later spool that's helping you. Mine is a T25 manifold, so it spools even quicker. I've been tuning (or trying to) tune a friends T3 GT3071 on an FSI and it spool a lot later than mine. With that being said, it gets like 100% traction in third and feels fast as hell.

I pedal the shit out of it and can get around it. I over exaggerated a tad, I can get a decent amount of traction in 3rd in probably 70 degree plus weather, but it still spins. 2nd gear could start a forest fire any way you twist it though. These tires work really well when it's warm, and really bad when it's cooler.

Edit: I'll be lining up against said FSI in he next few weeks and can let you know what kind of differences I see. I'm 99.99% sure my car makes a decent amount more power than his, but we'll see.
OOOOooo! Can I watch? (that sounded dirty after I wrote it)

ErBall

Measurement Mogul

I actually went from an APR stage 3 kit to this current setup, and often wonder if i traded the 'feeling' of fast for actually being so.

Granted I never would have hit my goals on the older kit, but at the medium boost levels I'm still running I'd be curious how it stacks up.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
OOOOooo! Can I watch? (that sounded dirty after I wrote it)

LOL, I'll let you know!

I actually went from an APR stage 3 kit to this current setup, and often wonder if i traded the 'feeling' of fast for actually being so.

Granted I never would have hit my goals on the older kit, but at the medium boost levels I'm still running I'd be curious how it stacks up.

It's the same theory as the K04 and stage 1/2 cars. The massive torque spike creates an illusion of being fast. I've actually adjusted my boost control all the way to try and make it spool as late as possible and I can still make full boost by like 3800 RPM which immediately blows the tires off. Eh, whatever, still fun I guess. I'll just wait for the massive torque spike to eat another trans and go from there..

xpystchrisx

GTI Enthusiast
Bumping this thread, not sure if you've still got the car. Can you tell me why you swapped from the KWs to the Bilstein PSS? I'm trying to make that same decision now and wanted some feed back, if possible.
Thanks!

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Bumping this thread, not sure if you've still got the car. Can you tell me why you swapped from the KWs to the Bilstein PSS? I'm trying to make that same decision now and wanted some feed back, if possible.
Thanks!

Yep I still have it. Just haven't updated this much. My ST's had a pile of miles on them (like 80k or so IIRC) so I wanted to refresh them. Not to mention they were always a tad on the soft side and I wanted some coils with higher spring rates. I wasn't a huge fan of the PSS's when I got them, but after adjusting ride height a few times they work VERY well. Handling and ride quality are both very good.

clownish

just clowning around
Have your PSSs made any noises? I'm pretty sure my front right is blown after 50k mi or so. Hoping it might just be a bad strut mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk