GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 Installed - Wooing sound over 2k RPM?

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Hey guys,
Just had my K04 installed 3 days ago and since then, immediately as I drove it out the shop the car had this newly wooing sound over 2k rpmish but goes away when off the accelerator. Is that normal with a K04? Specifically I'm on Integrated Engineering, using APR K04 file. Believe it is 3.1.

Now, if the sound is normal, that's fine, but I want to make sure I'm not leaking pressure/air out of anywhere. I can't believe it's the intake either but it is possible. I'm just not familiar with this sound so much and I'm pretty used to the intake before. I can't imagine it got louder or that this is even it...

Anyone else know what I'm talking about when immediately driving off in K04?

UberFast

Ready to race!
My intake noise definitely got louder after I went k04 but I wouldn't rule out a boost leak just yet though. Whats your boost gauge look like? Are you holding boost just fine?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I didn't change any pipes. I haven't tested well if I'm holding boost because I've mostly stayed out of it as I got a new clutch disc installed and can't push it for at least 500 miles.

Honestly the sound appears to come from the left side/drivers side of the engine where the intake filter sits, but I'm not positive.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
I am leaning on the side of turbo noises here. If it sounds like sucking its the intake. If it sounds like a whistle or psssssssss its the turbo. You can actually hear the turbo well at the k04 level. Its pretty cool

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Chris659

Ready to race!
I remember experiencing several new sounds after I went k04. You no longer have a muffler on the turbo so you will hear more than before.

Could you have someone rev and hold the Rpms while you listen under the hood? This way you could try to pinpoint what side the noise is coming from. If it's starting at 2k and it sounds like it's from the driver side, then more than likely that's just the intake.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I remember experiencing several new sounds after I went k04. You no longer have a muffler on the turbo so you will hear more than before.

Could you have someone rev and hold the Rpms while you listen under the hood? This way you could try to pinpoint what side the noise is coming from. If it's starting at 2k and it sounds like it's from the driver side, then more than likely that's just the intake.

no load on the engine tho when your just revving it in neutral

UberFast

Ready to race!
Pressure test your charge system. Easy to do and can make a boost leak tester for cheap. Only way to know for sure if you have a boost leak.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I'm probably over thinking it and it's probably just new sounds as others have mentioned. I can't see how the shop that did the install didn't drive it and immediately notice it. It's impossible. It kicks in to gear nearly as soon as driving off. Zero boost required, lol.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Turbo is always spinning the turbine

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That was my thought but I'm like, is that tiny turbine really causing all the noise? I looked at the K04 and compared it to my stock SRT4 turbo and was like, no way this little thing outputs that much power, lol.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Does your car have whistle tips installed? They make that WOOOO WOOOOOO.

I'm sorry, I'm so ashamed of myself.... I'll go now.

adema69

Ready to race!
k04 will be louder than stock turbo. Stock ihi has a muffler on the turbo itself and the k04 does not. If the car is boosting correctly and no error codes I would not worry to much about it.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
off topic but youre going to have to do at least aftermarket IC piping at some point with the APR tune its just too much boost for those OEM connectors. Once you get your clutch and start going WOT they'll probably pop that day lol. Think about going aftermarket TOP and CHARGE PIPE with silicone sleeves and clamps instead of a kit that tries to use the STOCK intercooler connectors, theyre garbage