GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI AWD conversion

JenkumLover

The question isn't how, it's why? and the V8 swap into a GTI... why? this for quarter mile, for show, just for shits and giggles for a project's sake or? :::scratching my head on this one::

I like projects, and I want to go fast. I like having something unique. Im not sure how much a 2.0 tsi engine weighs, but an all aluminum LS v8 weighs around 450 fully dressed with oil in it. I would set the engine as low and far back as possible and I doubt handling would be affected at all.

JenkumLover

x2 I have to agree with Gunkata. I don't see your logic or what you are trying to accomplish. First you're wanting and AWD swap and now you're talking about a rearwheel v8 GTI? seems pointless why waste your money doing all this to your car. I think you may have purchased the wrong car when you thought about buying your GTI. just my opinion.

I love the GTI, I just like to mess around with things, I think crazy engine swaps are cool, I also think its cool when someone changes a front wheel drive car to rear wheel drive. I guess its not for everyone, but Im glad that there are people who do these things, its fun . The GTI already has the driveshaft tunnel for rear wheel drive, and the rear end already exists and bolts in, so the hard part is already done. I suppose I could spend $10 grand on stage 3 upgrades, but for me I can think of better ways to spend my money.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
why not buy an old 944 and drop a V8 in it? or an Rx7 with V8 LS1 swap, something like that, where its only $10K instead of like $30K that it looks like you may be doing with all thats involved with new cars, motors, trans, etc, etc.

AdvanSuper

Banned
OP needs to wake the fuck up and stop dreaming.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
I think most of posts, including mine, have been about cost effectiveness. But if you have the money and resources to do it, go for it. Personally, I wish VW would have gone with their 3.6 motor in the new R. I'd be considering one if they did

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
why not buy an old 944 and drop a V8 in it? or an Rx7 with V8 LS1 swap, something like that, where its only $10K instead of like $30K that it looks like you may be doing with all thats involved with new cars, motors, trans, etc, etc.

but it's not a GTI then

TDI110

O_o
he definitely bought the wrong car, I'm all one for projects and the AWD swap but a V8 swap... really?! No way will an LS1 for example fit w/ transmission into a Golf w/o major modification to the engine bay and under body, and I don't think the R AWD system would be up to the job even if it was possible.

HOLLIS

Ready to race!
I don't get it but, I want to see this damn thing happen!!! DO IT!!!!!

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Honestly, I think it'd be way cooler if you did a FI swapped drivetrain from a salvaged Passat/CC 3.6 4mo. I've seen them both in salvage auction selling well below $5k. 2nd and 4th gen haldex respectively a base of ~300hp in a fairly light compact box thats already set up to fit..mostly. Then TT it up. RAI was looking for 600+ hp out of their project 3.6 CC. It would sound way cooler than a LSX, it would be AWD like you wanted, and VW kids wouldn't hate on you so much.

Uberryan

Banned
this project was attempted on a MKV GTI/R32 to convert the GTI to AWD/RWD, it was "ATTEMPTED" and fell through because cost was way above the value of the cost it would be to buy an R32 and turbo it. You will spend far more than $10k on this V8/AWD conversion.

Also, modification to the rear will be required as the spare tire wheel wells in the hatch sit higher on the R's to make room for the AWD components. This is not as easy at it may appear.

But by all means, baller, take on the project and report back. Be sure to post cost of the project in total as you go along. That way by the time you're done, I can price out a turbo'd R32/BT Golf R, or a new M3 for the price you dropped on doing this. Those cars will still be faster.

JenkumLover

Honestly, I think it'd be way cooler if you did a FI swapped drivetrain from a salvaged Passat/CC 3.6 4mo. I've seen them both in salvage auction selling well below $5k. 2nd and 4th gen haldex respectively a base of ~300hp in a fairly light compact box thats already set up to fit..mostly. Then TT it up. RAI was looking for 600+ hp out of their project 3.6 CC. It would sound way cooler than a LSX, it would be AWD like you wanted, and VW kids wouldn't hate on you so much.

That would be very cool, but very difficult, that motor would need a new bottom end to handle the power most likely.

LSX would be very easy and cheap, for $5000 I can easily get a motor and trans with a small cam in it and have 400plus horsepower with serious torque. Just need a Golf R rear end with stronger axles and custom driveshaft. I may have to alter the floor pan and firewall for engine and transmission clearance but that would be easy.

I dont think VW kids would hate, hopefully they would think it was cool, but maybe it would be like a honda fanboy who saw a V8 in civic or something.

I have seen in VW magazines some pretty crazy fabrication work and motor swaps.

JenkumLover

this project was attempted on a MKV GTI/R32 to convert the GTI to AWD/RWD, it was "ATTEMPTED" and fell through because cost was way above the value of the cost it would be to buy an R32 and turbo it. You will spend far more than $10k on this V8/AWD conversion.

Also, modification to the rear will be required as the spare tire wheel wells in the hatch sit higher on the R's to make room for the AWD components. This is not as easy at it may appear.

But by all means, baller, take on the project and report back. Be sure to post cost of the project in total as you go along. That way by the time you're done, I can price out a turbo'd R32/BT Golf R, or a new M3 for the price you dropped on doing this. Those cars will still be faster.

The cost would be high for someone who was paying someone else to do it for them. For me all I would need is the raw materials. Maybe at the end I would need a tuner to help me to keep my gauges and interface working.