GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tuning/Chip FAQ Thread: Which One Do I choose?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

ThatVWGuy

Ready to race!
If you don't want APR there are still good choices out there. I kept it simple with a Unitronic stage 1+ tune and 25k miles later a new clutch. Unitronic has been good to me and John responds quickly to inquiries.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
My goal is to have power and support from my tuner. No Apr parts on my cars.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Unitronic is great imo for set it and leave it.

If you want custom tuning ability Cobb is probably your best bet and then you can go to pretty much any tuner you want and have them tune it.

Eurodyne also allows custom tunes but the Eurodyne guys on a company level can be pretty rough and they dont have as big of a tuning network as cobb does.

So if you are just after good reliable power Unitronic is great, Giac is good so is Revo (since you dont want APR i left them out)

If you want to get custom tunes Cobb would be the best bet. You get their Access port and base maps and then basically anyone who is a dealer can tune.. hell you can even buy maps over the internet without going anywhere and just run logs through your AP and send them back via email to get adjustments.

So its really what you plan on doing to determine where you go.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
If I didn't initially go with GIAC, I would have went with Unitronic. Their products are amazing as I have used quite a bit of them now and have their intercooler. After fixing my leak issue the car pulls hard and is a beast. Their intercooler does a killer job on IATs.

Now that Cobb is in the ring for our cars, they have put a lot of potential out there for what you can squeeze out of your car. You can get a protune and get some pretty awesome numbers while also having the car be very drivable on the street from what people have said. My top three picks would be Unitronic, GIAC and Cobb.

FriggenT1

Banned
If I didn't initially go with GIAC, I would have went with Unitronic. Their products are amazing as I have used quite a bit of them now and have their intercooler. After fixing my leak issue the car pulls hard and is a beast. Their intercooler does a killer job on IATs.

Now that Cobb is in the ring for our cars, they have put a lot of potential out there for what you can squeeze out of your car. You can get a protune and get some pretty awesome numbers while also having the car be very drivable on the street from what people have said. My top three picks would be Unitronic, GIAC and Cobb.

Uni doesn't make the power your giac tune does either though.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

FriggenT1

Banned
Power isnt everything.

No, you're right there. I like John, and I REALLY like the Uni connect, and wish more big tuners offered a similar option. Uni makes power, I'm not insinuating it doesn't, I'm simply saying that for those who enjoy the 1/4 that the traps aren't as high (at least on k04)

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
No, you're right there. I like John, and I REALLY like the Uni connect, and wish more big tuners offered a similar option. Uni makes power, I'm not insinuating it doesn't, I'm simply saying that for those who enjoy the 1/4 that the traps aren't as high (at least on k04)

Unitronic is a great company and John stands by the software and products they make. I have their intercooler anencephaly it works great! GIAC was just there when I decided to get tuned. I was getting an AWE-Tuning TBE installed at what happened to be a GIAC dealer and it happened to be during their spring sale. So I got an awesome deal especially for the power and smoothness their tune offers. They've been tuning VWs for a long time and i don't regret it. I was on the fence when it came to tunes and if it wasn't for GIAC I would have went with Unitronic because I hear nothing but good things about their software and customer service. I like the E40 race file as it really wakes up the car and feels even more refined especially once you hit 4th gear. I'm most likely going to get their DSG tune so then I can flash to their 204 "clutchbuster" file. Honestly I'm more excited for the DSG tune than getting extra power. Both will be fun but I'm more interested in the smoother operation of the DSG to coincide with the tune.

I agree that more companies need to give the ability to flash from home as there are some great software tuners that all can offer something great to the VW community. I also like the GIAC flashloader because I can switch between stock, pump, and race mode very quickly and easily. Their power isn't all in your face if you don't want it to be either. It's very linear. My car is a mutt and has all sorts of different companies products in it, so I do t play favoritism by any means. I'm in it for quality and performance and learning what works better for my needs.

Totally_Stock_Except

Passed Driver's Ed
+1 for DSG tune-- it makes a huge difference and cures roughness that gets wrongly attributed to engine tunes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
I'll go on record here and say a DSG tune is all but required if you do the ECU.

(I have APR v2.4, btw)