GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Car Guys"

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
How Stable is that using just the pad?

Once it's under the flat spot on the bottom of the strut's spring seat....it doesn't budge....just like in the video
Take your time with the jack and it won't go anywhere.

The passenger side is easier and I'd start with that side to get the feel for it.

If you want to secure it further though, you can drill a hole in the 2x4 and use the strut bolt & nut to attach it to the swaybar link mounting tab...see here:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13185

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Back in the day, I used to mess with people and tell them I had swapped the 5.0 motor from a Mustang GT into my Contour (the 2.0 version). It was hilarious watching fellow 'car guys' cringe as people kind of believed me lol. I went a little far and tried trolling folks on a Ford forum and got banned though. :(

Anyway, that guy was speaking some crap! I don't think any SVT car ever had a turbo in it.... The SVT Contour and Focus were both NA, while the Lightning (2nd gen) and Cobra (Terminators) were supercharged? Even the GT that came out 2 years later was also supercharged!

Last edited:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I had a good auto-zone experience. Not car guy related... but i went in for new wiper blades and got the dumb bosch OE regular blades.. go outside to put them on and realize the driver side is opened and the blade looks different so i take it back in and the guy like hmm do you have the adapters that came with it.. and im like nah it was literally opened and this blade was in it when i walked outside... so hes like okay lets grab another and they were out so i got the more expensive bosch evos or whatever and a $10 autozone gift card.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I had a good auto-zone experience. Not car guy related... but i went in for new wiper blades and got the dumb bosch OE regular blades.. go outside to put them on and realize the driver side is opened and the blade looks different so i take it back in and the guy like hmm do you have the adapters that came with it.. and im like nah it was literally opened and this blade was in it when i walked outside... so hes like okay lets grab another and they were out so i got the more expensive bosch evos or whatever and a $10 autozone gift card.

I worked at autozone for awhile...people all the time would try to return the oil they bought but put the old oil back in. Some were dumb enough to not even wait for the old oil to cool off before returning it.

"Why is the container hot?"..."It was on the floor and I had the heat on" ...."in the middle of August?"

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Oh and I also had a guy try to tell me my P3 gauge was the reason my car failed emissions. That was a good one.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I worked at autozone for awhile...people all the time would try to return the oil they bought but put the old oil back in. Some were dumb enough to not even wait for the old oil to cool off before returning it.

"Why is the container hot?"..."It was on the floor and I had the heat on" ...."in the middle of August?"
yeah i have no doubt it was probably someone who "returned it" with their old blade in it or something. I was just looking to swap it same for same, not trying to pull one on them, but they were out and the manager just watched me buy them and could see me installing them outside the window.
So i thought it was pretty neat of him to give me the more expensive OE style blade.

The gift card was a rebate on buying two wiper blades, they didnt give me that as part of the thing... but i was pretty happy leaving there.

The only reason i stopped there instead of advanced auto, where i normally shop, was because my Credit card gave me extra points for shopping at auto-zone so i figured what the heck its just wiper blades.

Man i really drift off in conversation... i blame it on all this cold medicine...

richterat83

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm sure you've had this happen to you before....you think you're talking to a "car guy", but they're really not....

So I go to AutoZone the other day . . .

Stopped reading right there. Knew what was coming. Continued reading and was not disappointed.
:lol:

gdub09

Ready to race!
Best auto zone type moment was my buddy used to work at Advance & one night they had the floor cleaners come. He had to stay till they were done bc there were no cameras. So we had a BBQ in the lot that night. Its like 1am and the cops show up. They ask whats going on and we tell em about the cleaners and everything. The cop, younger, looks at my buddy's WRX wagon and starts asking about it. He says he was a WRX as well and always wondered if they were faster than his cop car. I shit you not the officer calls off all the cops near the road in front of advance and they had a drag race. My buddy's WRX won and they came back and the cop was like, "This never happened okay?". We all agree and everything and supposedly his supervisor caught some wind of it because of a girl that was there. Her mom works for the city or the police department and she said it to someone.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
Best auto zone type moment was my buddy used to work at Advance & one night they had the floor cleaners come. He had to stay till they were done bc there were no cameras. So we had a BBQ in the lot that night. Its like 1am and the cops show up. They ask whats going on and we tell em about the cleaners and everything. The cop, younger, looks at my buddy's WRX wagon and starts asking about it. He says he was a WRX as well and always wondered if they were faster than his cop car. I shit you not the officer calls off all the cops near the road in front of advance and they had a drag race. My buddy's WRX won and they came back and the cop was like, "This never happened okay?". We all agree and everything and supposedly his supervisor caught some wind of it because of a girl that was there. Her mom works for the city or the police department and she said it to someone.

that is a cool story. Only in Nebraska lol

lukesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
That was entertaining.
Heard many stories but I usually stop the conversation when I smell BS..

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I have like 5 packets of bulb grease because i for some reason lose my assertiveness when they are like OH YOU DEF ARE GONNA NEED THIS. when i buy some bulbs.

I dont really care cause its $1. But yeah does anyone actually use that stuff?

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion

Wow, I can't believe people actually do that! That's beyond fucked up.