GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 10-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #211
mikent256
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmI View Post
Just for clarification, I think you should post this on the MKV forum too.

In D, it does feel like a slushbox in stop and go traffic and that it so the car jerks less, so I don't think that's the problem.

However at WOT it seems odd. Even in D mode, if I'm in 6th gear and I hit the kickdown switch it immediately drops down to 3rd gear.

Not sure about revision but perhaps someone else can help on that.
Thanks for your post. I did also post it on MK5 forums. I definitely won't be buying the car unless it gets a reflash of some kind hopefully.

Either that, or the adaptive ECU is really holding back since the car hardly has any miles on it.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #212
mikent256

So the plot thickens on the GTI hunt...

I test drove a MK6 with halogens and was thoroughly impressed with the light output and beam pattern. So here I thought that solved my issue of debating between finding a car with this additional option or not.

But something just felt odd to me about the MK6. The steering was so light, you couldn't translate much of the road feel. It was almost too light and numb, it wasn't confidence inspiring. However, the exhaust note and the interior/gauges were amazing and I definitely loved having all the tech goodies.

They JUST so happened to have a MK5 08 FSI 2DR there. I decided, what the hell, let's test drive them back2back. Oddly enough, I was impressed! The car's steering felt a lot more direct and communicative, and the power seemed more eager to come on. So it was a little more noisy in the car, and the DSG was slightly more hesitant. I found myself having an absolute ball driving this thing!

So far, i'm still lusting after a MK6, but I may have to spring for a MK5 based on budget and overall fun. These used MK6's are getting harder and harder to find!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #213
dwagner88
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 CSG GTI 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikent256 View Post
So the plot thickens on the GTI hunt...

I test drove a MK6 with halogens and was thoroughly impressed with the light output and beam pattern. So here I thought that solved my issue of debating between finding a car with this additional option or not.

But something just felt odd to me about the MK6. The steering was so light, you couldn't translate much of the road feel. It was almost too light and numb, it wasn't confidence inspiring. However, the exhaust note and the interior/gauges were amazing and I definitely loved having all the tech goodies.

They JUST so happened to have a MK5 08 FSI 2DR there. I decided, what the hell, let's test drive them back2back. Oddly enough, I was impressed! The car's steering felt a lot more direct and communicative, and the power seemed more eager to come on. So it was a little more noisy in the car, and the DSG was slightly more hesitant. I found myself having an absolute ball driving this thing!

So far, i'm still lusting after a MK6, but I may have to spring for a MK5 based on budget and overall fun. These used MK6's are getting harder and harder to find!
Yeah, two things I've noticed going to a MK6 from an MS3 is that the brakes suck, and the steering is a bit numb. I thought it was nicely weighted, but it doesn't talk to you like the Mazda does. I think the rest of the positives outweigh those two negatives. It's certainly not the worst steering I've felt in a car. Oh and BTW, I'm pretty sure that my APR stage 1 GTI is faster than my mostly stock MS3 was. On the speed, I had an aftermarket RMM and an intake. I swear this GTI is pulling harder, but I can't objectively say that it is because I never go to the track.
dwagner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #214
RacingManiac
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Bye MK6, Hello MK7 PP GTI
The steering might just be the electric assisted rack....not sure when VW switched to that, but MK6 definitely has it. Is Mazda using a hydraulic or electric unit? Most reports the MK6 rack as accurate and linear, but lacking in feel...personally I thought the weighting is alright. It has more resistance than my old Toyota, but not artificially so like my father's G35, nor does it have overboosted assist at low speed like his M37...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #215
santorin
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2011|2DR GTI|CSG|6MT|NAV|SUN|
When I had my 08 A4, I removed a relay for tighter steering. Maybe the same can be done with the GTI?
santorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #216
mikent256

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwagner88 View Post
Yeah, two things I've noticed going to a MK6 from an MS3 is that the brakes suck, and the steering is a bit numb. I thought it was nicely weighted, but it doesn't talk to you like the Mazda does. I think the rest of the positives outweigh those two negatives. It's certainly not the worst steering I've felt in a car. Oh and BTW, I'm pretty sure that my APR stage 1 GTI is faster than my mostly stock MS3 was. On the speed, I had an aftermarket RMM and an intake. I swear this GTI is pulling harder, but I can't objectively say that it is because I never go to the track.
Thanks for your post. I had a fully bolted ms3 but fwd sucked with that much torque.
Quote:
Originally Posted by santorin View Post
When I had my 08 A4, I removed a relay for tighter steering. Maybe the same can be done with the GTI?
Thanks! That would be awesome if this worked!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
The steering might just be the electric assisted rack....not sure when VW switched to that, but MK6 definitely has it. Is Mazda using a hydraulic or electric unit? Most reports the MK6 rack as accurate and linear, but lacking in feel...personally I thought the weighting is alright. It has more resistance than my old Toyota, but not artificially so like my father's G35, nor does it have overboosted assist at low speed like his M37...
My 08 ms3 was hydraulic but my 11 ms3 was electric and still nicely weighted. This felt over boosted. I would love if you could change that! A slightly heavier feel would be nicer.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #217
Bruno2000
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI 2dr red
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikent256 View Post
Thanks for your post. I had a fully bolted ms3 but fwd sucked with that much torque.
Thanks! That would be awesome if this worked!!

My 08 ms3 was hydraulic but my 11 ms3 was electric and still nicely weighted. This felt over boosted. I would love if you could change that! A slightly heavier feel would be nicer.
I found it on some mk5 forum but I dont know if it can be apply on mk6.

- Yes you can change the steering assist from soft to hard, spread out over 7 adjustments, 0 to 6 (although I had always thought it was just 5 adjustments) 0 or 1 is tight, and 5 or 6 is loose, or the most assist.
I was going to finish this up, but my memory is not what it once was.
I'll add to this later, when I double check with my lap top.
(module 44 steering I believe)
Someone else will chime in if I don't get back to this.

I dug it out of my trunk...
Controller 44, Steering Assist, Adaptation, channel 1.
You will probably see a value between 2 and 5, or more likely it will be set to 3. Very stiff steering = 1, and a very light feel would = 5. These are changeable, so try it out and see how you like it.

(mine was 3, I went to 2, and drove it for two days, then I decided I liked 3 better)

Im gonna give it a try later. From what I heard, the power steering get more stiff with higher speed, simple % relative to speed and from what I heard, the power steering is totally off at about 65mph for better steering feeling. What u guys dont like is probably the steering wheel stiffness at low speed. I also heard that the power steering is the same as BMW use, probably just not set the same.

Servotronic

Servotronic offers true speed-dependent power steering, in which the amount of servo assist depends on road speed, and thus provides even more comfort for the driver. The amount of power assist is greatest at low speeds, for example when parking the car. At higher speeds, an electronic sensing system gradually reduces the level of power assist. In this way, the driver can control the car even more precisely than with conventional power steering. A number of automakers use Servotronic, including Audi, General Motors, BMW, Volkswagen, Volvo, SEAT and Porsche. Servotronic is a trademark of AM General Corp

I could be totally wrong too... I need to confirm all this.
2010 RED GTI, 2-doors, MT, APR Stage2 v1.2, B&B Turboback, S3 Intercooler, Carbonio intake Stage1&2, STD Coilovers R1, H&R R-swaybar, BSH full mounts kit, Whiteline bushings, Forge short shifter kit, Front-Brakes stage3, Unibrace UB, XB, Michelin PSS, O.Z. Black Ultraleggera ESP OFF!
Bruno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #218
mikent256

Wow thanks for your post! This would be incredible if it were adjustable! Low speed cornering and steering just seems so numb. I can't imagine how you could gauge traction in the winter/cold temps with the wheel moving so freely with the tip of your finger.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:38 PM   #219
RacingManiac
Formula 3000 Champion

VAGCOM does a lot of the thing on the car....

I honestly don't think GTI's steering is that over boosted, my dad's M37 is, this is rather normal. Doesn't feel bad really doing autocrosses, which the speed is not that high....
Old 11-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #220
mikent256

Quote:
VAGCOM does a lot of the thing on the car....

I honestly don't think GTI's steering is that over boosted, my dad's M37 is, this is rather normal. Doesn't feel bad really doing autocrosses, which the speed is not that high....
I wonder what the code of conduct is for finding a member to perform a couple VAGCOM tweaks for you. Toss him $20 and say "program this for me?"
Old 11-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #221
RacingManiac
Formula 3000 Champion

Well in my case my coworker has it and I just borrow it at work, along with any other people in the office with a VAG car.......
Old 11-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #222
mikent256

Quote:
Well in my case my coworker has it and I just borrow it at work, along with any other people in the office with a VAG car.......
Wait, why did I miss that you're in MI? LOL.

Maybe once I "seal the deal", i'll borrow/pay for their services... VAGCOM services to be clear..