GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any old fogeys like me with a GTI - I'm 43

JoeInKS

Maybe it's a midlife crisis car (well, a reasonable cost one) or I'm sick of just pure comfort of a sedan / SUV but I'm seriously considering getting a 2012 GTI. Just curious about whether I may wind up looking like a retired guy in an 18 year old's car. Ultimately, I probably won't care but at the moment wondering who else seems to have had the same interest in the vehicle.

If you guys can chime in on what drove you to purchase one over other vehicles, it'd help me make the whole decision more concrete in my mind.

Thanks!!

elwood1

Ready to race!
If you like it, buy it. Who gives a rats ass what other people think you look like? It's your money and your choice, get what you want. And BTW, I'm a lot older than 43. I bought my GTI because I wanted a hatch, and the GTI is much more refined than the STI I traded in.

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
I wish I could afford a gti when I was 18! Get what makes you happy. I know people of all ages with VW's.

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
I just turned 39. Never felt younger. This is a car for all ages, although it may be better for older drivers who have "earned" this.
Do NOT hesitate, buy it!

flug2012

Ready to race!
If you feel old at 43 you have other issues. Who cares and buy the GTI and have fun with it! :thumbsup:

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
I'm 43 as well and love this car. Get what makes you happy. Cough, cough...Mk6 and K04. You'll grin like a 5 year old at Disney World every time you drive it.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Im 49, not old, and have owned some great cars.....my 2012 GTI is one of them---- GET IT :)

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
If you feel old at 43 you have other issues. Who cares and buy the GTI and have fun with it! :thumbsup:

Exactly...Hell, I've got 20 years on you and the GTI is still perfect for me...

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
I'm 41 here and it's a great commuter for me. I actually enjoy driving the 150 mile commute on many days. I'm lowered and on aftermarket wheels with a Stage2 tune, I don't care what anyone thinks. :lol:

jeffreyj

Ready to race!
I'll be 38 soon, so we're close. And we have similar backgrounds too it seems: started my driving life in a '83 Honda Civic hatch, then some kinda of Buick, a '89 Sentra, '91 Civic, '72 Pontiac, '87 Jetta diesel, '98 S-10, '93 Buick, and lastly my most recent '04 Corolla.

All these cars were pretty much point A to point B cars. As little as actually do drive (typically 100 miles a week), I'm not regretting the GTI purchase one bit. If it doesn't put you in a financial bind, I'd say do it. We only live once!

JoeInKS

Thanks for all the quick responses guys!

I should have reworded the 'old' statement :)

Modshack..... your signature's picture is exactly what I am looking to get. Love the white 4 door.

Again, appreciate it!!!

Uberryan

Banned
If you feel old at 43, you need to go down to the bar later tonight and get yourself knee deep in 20 something year old poon, brah. That'll make you feel like a million bucks.

I'm only 27, so the fountain of youth effects are minimal. Call yourself old when you're 90, and then buy a Maserati, and drive it into someone's store front.

I'll be 38 soon, so we're close. And we have similar backgrounds too it seems: started my driving life in a '83 Honda Civic hatch, then some kinda of Buick, a '89 Sentra, '91 Civic, '72 Pontiac, '87 Jetta diesel, '98 S-10, '93 Buick, and lastly my most recent '04 Corolla.

All these cars were pretty much point A to point B cars. As little as actually do drive (typically 100 miles a week), I'm not regretting the GTI purchase one bit. If it doesn't put you in a financial bind, I'd say do it. We only live once!

WOLO!

Candy11

Ready to race!
When I went to my customer appreciation day at the dealer I bought my GTI from there was a 65 yr old Vietnam veteran the just bought a tornado red GTI. I am 29 btw. the only person who really cares what you drive is you. I say go for it it's a great all around car!

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I'm 48 (I'll be 49 in September) - I've got twin ten year old boys, and my GTI is the car that takes them to school every morning.

Remember, the car is a turbo charged version of a very practical all (4 door should you opt for that configuration) car.

Many people think it's nothing more than a Honda Fit or Toyota Matrix - so no boy racer stigma that I've ever encountered.