GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 11-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #15
B A
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI Black 4 Door
I am a driving enthusiast and I do not revere in just one brand. I have a feeling alot of you calling me a troll still live in your parents basement.
B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #16
lmlloyd
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI DSG
Yeah, but then you would be driving a Mustang! Sorry, I don't care if the damned thing flies, and can teleport, I still can never shake the feeling that a Mustang's navigation system refuses to give directions to anywhere that isn't a frat party, and that, much like the dates of the average Mustang driver, you can only really get it to perform after a couple of Rophenol.
lmlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #17
lmlloyd
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by B A View Post
I am a driving enthusiast and I do not revere in just one brand. I have a feeling alot of you calling me a troll still live in your parents basement.
The reason people are calling you a troll, is because there is such a huge difference between a muscle car and a sporty hatch, that it seems kind of ridiculous to compare the two. It is almost like saying buying a muscle car was a bad idea, because a motorcycle can out-accelerate it. Sure, if you want to roar down the street in a V8 monster that is twice the size of a Golf, and has a trunk suitable for hauling dead bodies, then you probably should have bought a Mustang instead of a GTI. The two vehicles have about as much in common as a pickup truck and a roadster. Most people considering a GTI, wouldn't even put a Mustang on the list.
lmlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #18
B A
Autocross Newbie

I have been sick with a cold all week and I am just loafng around watching football ( go Pats!!) and surfing around on this site. This is my first post and I am sorry if I am coming across as a hater. Things I like about my GTI- #1. The interior especially how my 6ft 2in frame fits perfectly in the cabin which is shocking!!!! #2. Exterior looks #3.Xenon lights # 4. mpg's #5. hardly any turbo lag #6 able to enhance power with an inexpensive reflash ( hopefully soon!!!!) Things I don't like #1. underpowered stock #2. Brkes,Brakes,Brakes!!!! to soft when heated up. #3. full handling potential might never be experienced because of VW internal stability control computer applications #4. metal trimmed clutch petal can be dangerous when wet!!!!! # 5. no awd- For the GTI's price point the car should just be an R32.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #19
DawnsKayBug
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Nürburgringed
I ordered my GTI before the 5.0 came out and I am kinda in the same boat as you. BUT my co worker just picked one up loaded and it was 43k with a military discount.

The stang is in another class though and I really dont see myself in a redneck mobile.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #20
B A
Autocross Newbie

The Mustang is just not a straight line fighter anymore. It now handles better than a GTI which is a shame.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #21
jasonweremy
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: United Grey Mk6 Golf Treadline
Well this has to be one of the most useless threads I have ever read in all the months I've been on this site. Would the OP also like to share some other regrets in his life with us? Maybe an gf/bf broke up with him? Maybe they left some itching feeling behind? Anyways! Why did you even come on here? Since that you've apparently been on this board for awhile then you would know that you'd get some sort of flamage because of a thread like this. "If" people around you owned dealerships then you would have bought a Ford. If it means that much to you to make a thread about regretting getting a GTI then sell it and get a Ford. You're not going to get a remorse from us. I find that some people have big cars and trucks like Fords because they are compensating for something.
jasonweremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #22
Bruno2000
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI 2dr red
B A, I dont know your level of remorse but if each times u look at your Gti and have a bad feeling and just wish something faster well, u should really considere to sell your car and get the mustang even if u will loose money.

Or u could wait for the next Apr or any flash ecu available for the 2011 for the extra power and get some GOOD tires and re-enjoy your little nimble car. 2 littles mods that could change the way u look at your car, even if the mustang is faster. Customizing your car little by little is SO much better and fun that just getting a big all-in-one piece of ford. Even if u pay a bit more for the Gti.

Look at my mods list, even if my car is probably slower that a stock mustang 5.0 lets say on tracks, do u really think it will remove all my fun? Anyone here could claim that any 2011 mustangs 5.0 is faster well, then, prove it on track now and have the guts to just follow me if u can. My ego is big uh well the driver can make a big difference here, more that expected sometimes, when we talk about speed.

I wont play devil advocate here but u said the handling of the mustang is now better that the gti, hehe very subjective and relative to tires and setup used I would say. U said, full handling potential might never be experienced because of VW internal stability control computer applications ; this is so false! depend what u means of full potential, if u wish to drift then, u cant.

For the purpose, I wish an Audi TT-RS over an modded Gti and the new STI look nice too. U know, whatever how fast your car can go, u will always get something that can be faster that you.
2010 RED GTI, 2-doors, MT, APR Stage2 v1.2, B&B Turboback, S3 Intercooler, Carbonio intake Stage1&2, STD Coilovers R1, H&R R-swaybar, BSH full mounts kit, Whiteline bushings, Forge short shifter kit, Front-Brakes stage3, Unibrace UB, XB, Michelin PSS, O.Z. Black Ultraleggera ESP OFF!
Bruno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #23
GTI_likeurmom
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: Veyron 16.4
hey calm down peoples. what you are describing is a love for cars. we all have our dream cars but for me i picked practicality over muscle. the gti mk6 has won over allot of car editors due to its all around usefullness. it totally fine to want a mustang or m3 but those are different cars than the gti. for me i am really craving a porsche, but that will have to wait. i think the gti handles very well and i cant wait to see what it will do with mods. welcome to the forum and good luck.
I cut the tether off. When I get to the pump, I remove the cap and chuck it into the nearest bush, patch of trees, or some sort of wet lands. I pump gas. Then I spend anywhere from 5 to 165 minutes retrieving the cap. I screw it back on and drive away. I'm not letting it dangle against the paint and I don't know any better way.
GTI_likeurmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #24
DawnsKayBug
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Nürburgringed
I dont see why people are jumping his shiot. The Mustang is a HELLUVA car. The V-6 is astonishing. But I can see about a 200-1 Mustang to GTI ratio which is something I like. Having a car that you dont see a bunch of.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #25
dsm1983
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by B A View Post
The Mustang is just not a straight line fighter anymore. It now handles better than a GTI which is a shame.
Maybe you should learn how to properly drive a FWD car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno2000 View Post
U know, whatever how fast your car can go, u will always get something that can be faster that you.
x2
dsm1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #26
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
Observations and comments from a logical perspective :

1. You didn't know what you were looking for when purchasing a car in the first place, or you wouldn't have this current issue.

2. Based on #1, you obviously didn't test drive other cars in the same price range or consider higher horsepower vehicles - your mistake, a big one at that. WRX will blow the GTI away as well and was cheaper than what you spent. What did you cross-shop, a Camry?

3. Your comparison is as apples to oranges as it gets - PUH-lease.

In conclusion, its quite simple - you either wait for the APR flash and get some good sticky tires and perhaps a rear sway bar, or you go lose a shitton on your trade-in and get the GT. It is a GREAT car, but they are two different segments and have some different things in mind, so don't come here with this ridiculous garbage.

PS - we all had no idea that 412hp is considerably "more" than 200hp... astounding.

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #27
r56mcs
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 10 GTI
The more I research 2011 mustang gt v8, the more I want it. I am lying in pain with lower back muscle spasm today, watching NFL. If my back was ok I would go test-drive a mustang gt v8 right now. If ford pays off my VW loan, I would come home with a v8 today. That's a lot of if's.  I think it will happen soon or later. It's about time I owned an American muscle car especially now that the muscle car is pulling more lateral g's than my "German" compact.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #28
dental MKVI
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 4 door black, 2010 gti, with dsg
yeah, I was in the same situation as you, but I drove the 2011 Mustang gt first, Yeah, it was fast loud, brutish. I used to have a 5.0 back in the day. It was mannly. But if you examined the car as a whole it was as if a person built it while being stoned. It's fit and finish was pathetic. The trunk sheet metal doesn't line up. When you open the hood, no hydrallic assist. You use a rod to prop it open.

I opened the trunk. the trunk panels are poorly fitting, the seats are made for the a burger swallowing troll. Very little lateral support The interior was a mix good materials and extremley cheap materials. Check out the sun visors vanity mirrors. Cheap!! They are not even lit, for a 30 thousand dollar car, come on ford. Touch the doors hard plastic. Cheap!! Safety system, 4 airbags, come on!! When you sit in a GTI, you feel you are sitting in a very expensive car. I should know, I have had BMWs. The GTI has a better interior than my 535i. Yeah its fast,The car is great value, I will one day buy one. Ford has come along way from when I owned my 1988 5.0. But they are no where near the germans, japanese, hell even the koreans in interior design.
After driving german cars I expect good build quality, good saftey, our GTI have 8 airbags standard!! I almost bought a 2008 charger srt8, I stopped in my tracks when it had only two airbags!!jeez!!
If you are single, don't have girlfriend/boyfriend, don't care about your safety, don't care about a nice interior, just want speed, the mustang is the way to go.
If you want a well rounded car, excellent interior and good car dynamics, the GTI is the way to go, I bought a 2010 GTI DSG 4door. And have no regrets. Hell I even got free maintenance for 3yrs.
dental MKVI is offline   Reply With Quote