GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 11-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #29
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
Quote:
Originally Posted by project92raddoslc View Post
You're not really paying more for the slight interior differences. The real package is the exterior styling, k04 and awd.

I'd be much more open to the R if it had a TSI, but I do not agree with spending more money for older technology.

OP, unless you're able to get a slamming deal, I think it's worth waiting to see what the mk7 has to offer. Your TDI value won't depreciate all that much over the next few years so enjoy the bangin MPGs for the time being and make a move when you see fit.
Yep all very valid points. Nothing wrong with waiting... and I do plan on doing so.

My main issue with this chassis is road noise and I really hope the new platform makes a difference. I can't carry on a conversation in my car still without yelling. And this is after downsizing from 18s to 17s and going from summer tires to all seasons.

Don't' think the R will fix that gripe
Old 11-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #30
Chef_R_Gamie
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 Golf R 2Dr Candy White
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblGTI View Post
I've been contemplating switching to an R recently too.

I just don't feel like starting over with my mods, and it seems like everyone who gets an R immediately regrets it for some reason. I have seen so much Golf R hate these last few months.
Quote:
I mean, I'm not hating on the R at all!! I think the car is beautiful. I'd love it in white, and almost pulled the trigger on one when I went in for my 20k service (the dealership had a used CW R with 1k miles on it).

I guess I just can't justify it right now and the reviews I've seen from some owners have scared me a bit. I'm an impulse buyer, but I've been thinking about how much money I've already spent on the GTI and how much I would spend on the R and, well....it's the dumbest car buying decision I could make right now lol

Maybe in the future though.
Hahaha I hear ya... Yeah be careful with those impulse purchases.... I think everyone here knows a little something about those
Old 11-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #31
Lou Maiuri
Banned

Drives: One Tray Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_R_Gamie View Post
Hahaha I hear ya... Yeah be careful with those impulse purchases.... I think everyone here knows a little something about those
The R is somewhat unreliable when going the mod route. Notice how your engine cover says TSI, yet your actual head is an FSI? HPFP is needed for stage 1+ too.
Lou Maiuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #32
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleazn248 View Post
Haha I told my mom that. She was like wtf why a V-Dub get the Audi. I just couldn't convince myself to drop that much dough on an A3 unless it had Quattro and was Alpine white with Titanium Plus Package. I looked into a used one with 5k on and the dealer wanted 42k for it. He said it was rare.
yep, i hear ya.

Quote:
You're paying for the name as well. And I don't mean part of the price is owning a nice Audi. It's the intimidation factor. Most people just expect the car to be priced where it's at because of the name, so they don't even make a dent in their "negotiating".

It's kinda funny from a car dealer's point of view.
yeah, I was definitely "paying" for the look/the front end primarily - with the LEDs, facelifted bumper 09+, etc. The rear tails were LED's as well, but yeah, definitely lost some creature comforts from the GTI.

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #33
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

my engine cover says TFSI, lol...

No GunKata, no care.

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Old 11-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #34
McQueen77
Banned

Drives: "We only make one thing..."
i think the R looks real nice and everytime ive been at the dealer since they came out i stare at them. they are nicer than the GTI, plain and simple. they also cost a lot more. the fact that they also have a k04 make them a nice place to start modding. i love the dual center exhaust and the interior is really, really nice. its just hard selling people a VW that costs almost $40k optioned, after taxes and fees etc..
McQueen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #35
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen77 View Post
i think the R looks real nice and everytime ive been at the dealer since they came out i stare at them. they are nicer than the GTI, plain and simple. they also cost a lot more. the fact that they also have a k04 make them a nice place to start modding. i love the dual center exhaust and the interior is really, really nice. its just hard selling people a VW that costs almost $40k optioned, after taxes and fees etc..
Yep... but recently they have been running them at up to 5k OFF sticker. Which is still a lot of money, but the gap has narrowed. Since the GTIs get at most a 3500 discount.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #36
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Yeah, I mean if it was 2010 again and the R was actually here, and at those discounted prices, and the dealer said you can get the Premium R for $33K, or the MT GTI Autobahn for $29K (also discounted), I'd gladly have paid the extra for the R at the time.

No GunKata, no care.

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Last edited by GunKata; 11-26-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #37
SuperCommuterGolf
Oval Champion

Drives: 2012 TDI
I am thinking the same thing OP.....especially with $5k off ....
SuperCommuterGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #38
Chef_R_Gamie
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 Golf R 2Dr Candy White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Maiuri View Post
The R is somewhat unreliable when going the mod route. Notice how your engine cover says TSI, yet your actual head is an FSI? HPFP is needed for stage 1+ too.
Yeah I think
With modding right now you're right... I feel while there are some good products for the car the better stuff is still in production ... I haven't heard of any problems with just stage 1 Ecu upgrade have you?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #39
McQueen77
Banned

Drives: "We only make one thing..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtdi View Post
Yep... but recently they have been running them at up to 5k OFF sticker. Which is still a lot of money, but the gap has narrowed. Since the GTIs get at most a 3500 discount.
yeah.. end of the day though, im just a cheap bastard.. ok, maybe not cheap but value minded. i havent even driven the R, so I don't really know but every review I've seen seems to be the same conclusion: its good, but not good enough. also seems like it has a lot of nanny's in place that the R32 which is basically a classic, didn't have. like VW tried to do basically just an upscale GTI, like the next trim line above autobahn.. and lets remember that the R is not true AWD either.. that being said, even if I'm only going to pay 'only' five grand more than a GTI, it needs to be a lot better for the price hike.

my mom used to say to me 'you have champagne tastes on a beer budget'. that being said, the GTI is perfect for me. i want nice but i can't really afford nice. the R seems expensive to me. sounds messed up but if i'm paying in the mid 30s and up, i want it to the have the 4 circles on the grill or the 3-point star emblem...
McQueen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #40
confuc1ous
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 gti, 6spd, 2dr, sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCommuterGolf View Post
I am thinking the same thing OP.....especially with $5k off ....
I didnt realize they were doing that, discounting so much, can someone name a dealer thats dropping them for that much off? I really wanted one but realized it has a lot of what my GTi already has including the same transmission which is a big one for me, the transmission we have right now is a weak link for the GTi's, less from a parts perspective but from more of a feel. The blue needles and all the fluff aren't that big of a draw for me but it does look nicer and the AWD is huge.

Going from a TDI to an R is a big change, but going from a GTi to an R, there has to be some middle point and 5k off sticker isnt bad whatsoever, you just have to negotiate a sick number for the trade to make up a bit there.
confuc1ous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #41
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
Yeah, I mean if it was 2010 again and the R was actually here, and at those discounted prices, and the dealer said you can get the Premium R for $33K, or the MT GTI Autobahn for $29K (also discounted), I'd gladly have paid the extra for the R at the time.
Yep... that price difference makes it a very attractive buy. And R's are rare and resale will be that much better in the end anyways. So its a literally a no brainer.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #42
SuperCommuterGolf
Oval Champion

Drives: 2012 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by confuc1ous View Post
I didnt realize they were doing that, discounting so much, can someone name a dealer thats dropping them for that much off? I really wanted one but realized it has a lot of what my GTi already has including the same transmission which is a big one for me, the transmission we have right now is a weak link for the GTi's, less from a parts perspective but from more of a feel. The blue needles and all the fluff aren't that big of a draw for me but it does look nicer and the AWD is huge.

Going from a TDI to an R is a big change, but going from a GTi to an R, there has to be some middle point and 5k off sticker isnt bad whatsoever, you just have to negotiate a sick number for the trade to make up a bit there.
Im not even sure there is $5K off but I've seen it mentioned several times especially here in SoCal. Through USAA I only see a $3100 discount. Who knows, Ill keep looking though.
SuperCommuterGolf is offline   Reply With Quote