GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

View Poll Results: Which Do YOU Prefer?
Mediocre Performance (Lower Quality/Undetermined Reliability) but Priced Lower? 6 8.82%
Higher Performance (Better Quality/Reliability) Product but Priced Higher? 62 91.18%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #29
2013R
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: 2015 Subaru WRX
funny how so many people chose "quality" yet all we ever hear about around here is "price".
2013R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #30
C4L
Banned

Drives: '10 GTI / '13 CC / '07 ZZR600
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Bowers View Post
Here is a wrench to toss in the gears.....Ferrari more expensive right.......they have also been lighting themselves on fire and burning to the ground like nobodys business.

More expensive doesnt always mean better.
Quality and Reliability are NOT the same.

Reliability, at most, is just one of many components that make up a products Total Quality. This is the very reason VW has been rated Highest Total Quality for 3 years running...

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/volk...ar-165983.html

'Best' is relative. Ferrari makes some of the 'best' cars in the World, even though a Scion tC is more reliable...

For me, best = total quality. All encompassing. And quality = 'niceness'. When you say something is 'nice' that is usually a testament to its total or overall quality.

That is a NICE watch.
That is a NICE computer.
That is a NICE TV.
That is NICE shirt.
That is a NICE stereo.
Those are NICE shoes.

None of those have to do with reliability/durability but how 'quality' the product is.

For some reason this concept is lost on most people when it comes to cars. No other consumer product in the consumer market is more evaluated in terms of totality or total/overall quality based solely on reliability than with cars.
C4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #31
C4L
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013R View Post
funny how so many people chose "quality" yet all we ever hear about around here is "price".
Many people in any market segment will try to maximize quality for a given price point.

There are still some people who just want the cheapest of things though. Which I can't even understand.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #32
Muskie
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: 2011 GMC Terrain
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013R View Post
Buying the most expensive does not mean quality. Look at monster cable. A digital cable is a digital cable.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #33
Devilchrono
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2015 Blizzard Pearl Toyota Rav4
While I haven't bought anything for my GTI yet, I know from my past cars that I'm willing to pay a little more for a product based on the quality/performance of the part vs. an ebay one. I guess you could consider me a brand snob in that sense, but I know the "big name" has spent the money on the R&D to make a solid product.
Devilchrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #34
chinqutie
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: APR KO4 GTI, 2013 x128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4L View Post
Many people in any market segment will try to maximize quality for a given price point.

There are still some people who just want the cheapest of things though. Which I can't even understand.
True. I always hear crap about my summer wheels and exhuast and yet most PM's I get are about them lol
ko4 club member#14ADV.1/DPE/Akrapovic/Bilstein/Vredestein/DorbritzDesigns/Forge/SPM/034/Stoptech/P3Cars/Southbend/Peloquin/Whiteline/Hotchkis/Unibrace/Osir/OEM+
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
Using automatic climate control as justification to buy/not buy a car = STUPIDEST THING EVER.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
I've found that if my pants are down around my ankles, this site moves A LOT faster..
chinqutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #35
A_Bowers

Drives: MKVI GTI
Quote:

This right here is about the best answer I have seen.

Well put Sir

Build Thread::Southbend Stage 3 review::SPM Intercooler Review::SPM Full Engine Mount Review
A_Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #36
C4L
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
Buying the most expensive does not mean quality. Look at monster cable. A digital cable is a digital cable.
It could provide intrinsic value as well. Buying from a name brand could provide brand quality and the equity that brand has.

In the end you are always getting something, whether tangible or intangible. If that difference isn't worth it to you, then that is fine. But that doesn't mean that difference isn't there.

This is specifically how goods are priced in the consumer marketplace. If the consumer saw no value in the more expensive product, they wouldn't buy it, and the product wouldn't exist. The market, in the end, determines the price of goods.

I can promise you there are more people buying $20 Monster Cable optical audio cables from Best Buy than there are people buying $5 toslink cables from Monoprice.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #37
2013R
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: 2015 Subaru WRX
i mostly buy Monster cable. that doesnt mean i walk into Best Buy to buy it. I find it online and pay half price. Probably, the same price the cheaper cables would be at Best Buy...
2013R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #38
samwapp
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 6MT Black
I would never compromise quality if something were cheaper. If I had a limited budget now and couldn't afford a quality part, I'd rather wait to come up with that money than buy a worse part now. In reality, you get what you payed for.
RIP GUNKATAFAG, GTI787, Jorge
samwapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #39
mk6medic
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: something faster than K04
A sad part about this is like was said earlier, belittlement because you own and/or like a different brand than I do is rampant. Not just in this forum (though this place is extremely judgmental and harsh) but everywhere. Another issue that brand x may have been bad in the past, but has made great strides to become better, and has done so, but no one will forgive their past blunders. Why? I gave VW another chance after owning one that was a lemon, and honestly it has not been all hearts and rainbows.

We all strive for the perfect blend of affordability compromised with performance, in any product. I'm always willing to pay more for quality, but only if it is backed up with consumer reviews. Like Tommy Boy said, I can shit in a box, slap a guarantee on it and sell it. You think the guarantee fairy will come down and make you feel all cozy, but you're still left with a guaranteed piece of shit. Consumer reviews make that piece of shit into diamonds. We all want a guaranteed diamond. R&D certainly can help.

Does top level matter? Not at all. Some features, while 'nice to have' aren't necessary and come with other products, such as nav. For me, why spend around a grand for something that my phone does for free? I don't buy things to impress people. I buy more for functionality. If I did want to impress people, I would not be driving a GTI. Outside of this forum, it is not viewed as the best car ever made.

Also, I don't care what the name on the product is, as long as it performs as expected and didn't break the bank. I will stick with one brand so long as its good, but have no issue with having different brands of same product in my household/vehicle. When it doesn't perform as expected, then I care what the name is. As consumers, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshay View Post
Iono man. You meatspinned me once when I was in the library. I'm still bitter about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbdog View Post
Lol NEEK is like how GK was before he became a mod. Lol.
mk6medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #40
grambles423
Limited Activity

Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Expensive Materials =/= Quality. Its a fake image OEMs want you to believe.

I've seen a torn apart Ferrari, terrible terrible quality, amazing materials.
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #41
grambles423
Limited Activity

Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Furthermore, I think this discussion is great. I'm glad to see people understand the TRUE definition of quality.
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #42
Bender
Banned

Drives: 2014 Focus ST
Quote:

My mind has melted as we agree on something!

That said, price does not necessarily denote quality and quality is not necessarily dependent on price.

For me, there is a point on the scale where quality and price intersect in a way that makes me warm and fuzzy on all fronts. I can't ignore either.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote