GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR tune; send ecu to APR or local?

racermp

Ready to race!
hey guys, at 6k miles, debating......

want to go stage 1, with horror stories of not resealing the ecu correctly, and future ecu issues, is it best to send the ECU to APR or is a local authorized APR installer just as reliable?

does anyone know the warranty of the tune if APR works on it or if APR doesn't warranty if the local authorized APR installer works on it.

NolaGTI

Ready to race!
I've seen on te forums where APR has helped resolve issues when an authorized dealer caused an issue so you are likely fine. However, if you can remove your own ecu and have alternate transportation for a few days sending it to APR makes sense, I would have to imagine they are the most qualified to crack it open.

eight_heads

Passed Driver's Ed
hey guys, at 6k miles, debating......

want to go stage 1, with horror stories of not resealing the ecu correctly, and future ecu issues, is it best to send the ECU to APR or is a local authorized APR installer just as reliable?

does anyone know the warranty of the tune if APR works on it or if APR doesn't warranty if the local authorized APR installer works on it.

I suggest checking with your local APR installers and see what kind of warranty they offer. Mine gives you a 12 month/12k mile warranty on their work, so I just used them. It took about 45 minutes start to finish.

racermp

Ready to race!
thanks alot guys. that helps. i'll research both options now and see what the local installers provide.

AsianInaMk6

Passed Driver's Ed
Since I'm totally new to German cars and VW. After reading all this water pump failure , dsg failure and fried ecu. Makes me really nervous to mod this car. I'm not a newb to modded cars but new to this platform .

The_Koof1

Ready to race!
I have taken mine to an authorized APR dealer for all the ECU flashing from Stage 1 all the way to K04. I have had zero issues in 25K miles and multiple flashes.

Biggest thing I can say is do your homework on who you take it to perform work on your vehicle. Search around here on regional forums, on the Vortex, ask around at shows and see who has gone where and how well the work was done. I personally will drive a good distance and pay more if I know the shop doing the work is highly professional, respected and known to do high quality work. Also check on the shop's warranty on their work.

However, if you have the means to have another vehicle for like a week or however long APR's turnaround is and can safely pull the ECU yourself, it is hard to argue against having the guys who made the tune do the work. Personally, I'd take the car into a shop to be flashed due to quick turnaround.