GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW stand @ NY Auto Show "GTI, R, Golf Wagon"

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Love the wagon. Yeah the back isn't that great looking but it's not bad. The statement it makes is worth the looks. Hopefully it won't be much heavier.

That jetta, though. Ouch.

Love the "most of its brand over 100,000miles" claim too. I don't doubt it, it's a good message, but I wonder what words had to be chosen carefully :laugh:

butchered by autocorrecr

BlueEwok1

Banned
Epic fail, no sunroof open pics which is what so many are complaining about. And ouch yep its confirmed no leds on lower gti models, euro specs trump us again. Thanks for sharing though, those R tails are beautiful.

fkshtup

Ready to race!
I'm pumped for the sport wagon, but I have to say, it looks pretty ugly from behind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think they did good with it. Kinda looking like an Audi. Previous wagons were terrible.

Kad10

Passed Driver's Ed
Not feeling the new R. Im sure its leaps ahead of the previous model but theres something about the quad exhaust setup that makes me not like it. Theres nothing special about it now

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I was at the NY Auto Show on Friday.
Loved the GTI & R.

Even with the changes they are remarkably similar to the MK6 when you sit in them (and look them over) as I did.
Get a 7 in the same color as your previous 6 and your neighbors will never know.

The biggest differences will be in that additional torque, and quicker steering.
Performance pack too if you drive hard enough to warrant it.

jnj2455

Ready to race!
I think they did good with it. Kinda looking like an Audi. Previous wagons were terrible.

Yah I cringe a little when I see the rear end of a JSW. I thought they looked really homely/ugly.

In comparison, the new Golf wagon looks sharper and more angular (cuz it is) from behind albeit a bit generic appearing.

Anyways, I'm waiting with bated breath for this particular wagon to make it to production.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
This Saturday I went to the show to look at all the MK7s (GTI, Golf R, Golf, Golf Wagon) and I had high hopes for the MK7 GTI. Everyone praised the better interior and although some surfaces are very nice...that black faced dashboard is made from the cheapest looking/feeling plastic...the amber reflector headlights and the non-led tails made it apparent where VW cut costs for the US-Spec model.

The car that blew me away...the A3 TDI Sportback. The exterior is gorgeous and the interior quality is way ahead of anything from the VW MK7s.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
This Saturday I went to the show to look at all the MK7s (GTI, Golf R, Golf, Golf Wagon) and I had high hopes for the MK7 GTI. Everyone praised the better interior and although some surfaces are very nice...that black faced dashboard is made from the cheapest looking/feeling plastic...the amber reflector headlights and the non-led tails made it apparent where VW cut costs for the US-Spec model.

The car that blew me away...the A3 TDI Sportback. The exterior is gorgeous and the interior quality is way ahead of anything from the VW MK7s.

They brought the door trim material to the dash face surrounds.
Do you realize how many other - often high end - manufacturers do this?
Didn't look cheap to me.

What is this hang up with amber lights?
Every US spec car has them.
If the European cars had amber, and the US cars didn't - people would be jonesing for amber.

LED tail lamps would have been nice.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Didn't look cheap to me.

If it was actual piano black trim then it would be a different story. I think the designers were trying to hard with having the shiny plastic wrapping around the gauges and connecting to the center console. The A3 uses flat black plastic that is more appealing to the touch and doesn't scratch or smudge as easily.

If the European cars had amber, and the US cars didn't - people would be jonesing for amber.

The amber lights are something done to meet DOT laws here for selling a car and it is not how the designers imagined the car looking. Add in the red strip (which I kinda like) with the orange reflector and it starts to look too busy.

btw everything I said is totally subjective hahah

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Didn't look cheap to me.

LED tail lamps would have been nice.

LOL so true.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I went yesterday to the Autoshow and have to say, I was quite disappointed by many aspects of the new mk7 GTI.
the interior looked like a complete downgrade to me. Circled the areas I didn't care for...

I know, I gotta get my own pics uploaded, lol.

Anyways, the plastic carbon fiber looking trim didn't do it for me at all. Looked too cheapy, especially to the touch. The part of the dashboard that runs a long top of the cluster, as you can see now, it extends from the left vent all the way to the right vent with no break anywhere. As opposed to our mk6 where it feels like the cluster is all well within itself.
The steering wheel was odd to me. I preferred so many other ones at the show including Subaru or even the BRZ/FR-S. This one looked funny with the large center that is kind of dug into the wheel giving it as someone else mentioned a bar stool type of effect. I think it'll be a love it or hate it kind of feel and I didn't like it personally.
On the outside, well, the front isn't as bad as I thought it would be but the red line running all the way through the head lights is still just odd. I can imagine many replacing the headlights but then it won't look right since the front grille will still have the red line where it's suppose to meet the headlights.
The back is a mess IMO. The way the bottom end is slightly lifted didn't attract me as being sporty and the tail at the top seems shorter than the mk6 GTI. It almost could of passed as a regular Golf 2.5... Also it's curves aren't as attractive as the MK6. It seems too generic and hate to use the word, boring.
With what I've seen, only the modders can change my mind on what I feel of the MK7 and it's future. Perhaps we'll see some creative changes done by the enthusiasts in the coming years. I gues I feel a lil sad that the MK6 GTI seems to be the only GTI that I've ever drawn interest to and will probably be the last :(
*Fingers crossed on MK8*

Not feeling the new R. Im sure its leaps ahead of the previous model but theres something about the quad exhaust setup that makes me not like it. Theres nothing special about it now

Yeah quad looks weird on it +1. Esp the wide/oval pipes...trying too hard.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
You know what's odd?
The one thing that I don't like about the MK7's interior is rarely mentioned:

I liked the way the contour of the interior door pulls and arm rests arced up the doors to the dash and included the window switches.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
It is and my German friends like the smaller US plates and dont hate the US side markers at all.

I like amber.
I believe that it makes the clueless more aware that I am signaling a turn.
That's a good thing.