GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

.:Eurocode Tuning:. Group Buy on our Rotamass Lighweight Crank Pulley for the 2.0TSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

info@eurocode

Ready to race!
The team at Eurocode Tuning is excited to announce an introductory group buy for our Rotamass Lightweight Crank Pulley Upgrade for the transverse and longitudinal Audi/VW 2.0TSI (timing chain) engine.

The Group Buy is: CLOSED

Terms of the Group Buy are as Follows:

• Group buy will run from May 4, 2013, through May 31, 2013
  • A refundable $199.95 dollar deposit is required to join the group buy (backing out may affect others)
  • We will only ship to the billing address associated with the credit card used to place the order
  • All merchandise is in stock, we will ship out the moment we hit the maximum discount of 21 units
  • The group buy is limited to 40 units
  • Only black pulleys are eligible for the group buy

Pricing:

• MSRP: 249.95
  • 1-5 Units $239.95
  • 6-10 Units $229.95
  • 11-20 Units $219.95
  • 21-40 Units $199.95

Please click HERE to place your order. Please add you forum username at checkout so we can update the list.

EuroCode Tuning Rotamass 2.0TSI Lightweight Crank Pulley

Goal

Our goal with the Rotamass Lightweight Crank Pulley was to decrease the rotational mass of Volkswagen/Audi’s 2.0TSI engine. Our Rotamass Lightweight Crank Pulley weighs a mere eleven ounces and is over three pounds lighter than the OEM crank pulley. This reduction in weight from the crank shaft is equal to removing nearly 100 pounds of vehicle weight! Throttle response, horsepower and torque are all improved with this affordable and easy to install part.

Engineering

Designed by Eurocode Tuning's in house product development team, our Rotamass Lightweight Crank Pulley was engineered from scratch. The first step was to create a digital 3D model of the factory pulley to ensure that both the gearing for the attachment to the engine's crankshaft as well as the pulley's grooves for the ribbed belt were an exact match. We then calculated the speed of the accessories that the pulley drives and reduced the diameter of the pulley to slightly under drive them, with an output that still is within tolerances. We chose 6061-T6 billet aluminum to machine the pulley and built it to Aerospace standards for precision, quality and accuracy.

Manufacturing

Our Rotamass Lightweight Crank Pulley is manufactured in Southern California to our specifications utilizing United States sourced 6061-T6 billet Aluminum. Special tooling was created to match the grooves to the factory pulley identically and a total of four operations were performed to machine the pulley. The first two operations we performed on an Okuma Cadet CNC Lathe with final two operations being performed on a Hass Automation MINIMILL. The net result is a product that is concentric to .002 of an inch! The pulleys were then tumble de-burred and coated with MIL-A-8625 Type III Hard Anodize Electroplating. Laser engraving finishes the product with our part number, branding and batch number.

Testing

36 months, over 50,000 miles and multiple vehicles have been used to test our crank pulley under multiple seasons and driving conditions. There is a common misconception that the factory crank pulley is a harmonic balancer which is not the case. The Volkswagen/Audi TSI engine's rotating section is fully balanced from the factory prior to the accessory drive pulley being installed. Since our Rotamass Lightweight Crank Pulley is precision balanced by both design and manufacturing, it performs nearly identical to the factory part it replaces. With our test engine, we removed the crankshaft prior to the installation of the pulley, measured the bearings and crankshaft journals. During all of our testing there was absolutely zero signs of abnormal engine wear.

Performance

Numbers always count! The Rotamass Lightweight Crank Pulley provides dyno proven performance gains of up to 9 horsepower. Turbo spool time is greatly decreased and there is increase in acceleration that you can truly feel.

Value

Our goal is to provide the best value for our consumers and design parts that are easy to install by the average Joe. Because the factory part needs a special tool to remove it which is very large and expensive, we decided to build our own that can be included with every purchase. The tool we designed can be used with a standard ½ inch drive breaker bar as to create the leverage necessary to both remove the factory pulley and install our Rotamass Lightweight Crank Pulley. Since most do it yourselfers do not own two ½ drive breaker bars, we also threaded our installation tool with ½ in NPT threads allowing the customer to obtain a 36” piece of black pipe from their local hardware store if they so desire. This attention to detail also has reduced the size of the products packaging to a mere 10” by 5” by 3” and just under 5 pounds which will substantially reduce the shipping costs.

Application

Fits most VW , Audi, Seat and Skoda 1.8L and 2.0L TSI Engines built from 2008 through 2013. Direct replacement for OEM part number 06H-105-243-K. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about compatibility with your vehicle.

Installation

Comprehensive installation guide can be found here

Additional Images

Dynographs

Customer Reviews

The CAR:

I have a 2012 A4 quattro 8 spd auto with about 5K miles. I do not have any mods to the engine yet so this is my first foray in getting mow paawwaaaa! (or for this case, unleashing more power.)

The PART:

I already have the EC AluKreuz installed in the car for a while now, so I am expecting the new part to have the same attention to detail and quality. I was not disappointed. I chose the black hard anodized instead of the red one just to give it more stealth from the dealers. The part looks masterfully crafted, void of any machining defects, dings or scratches. The finish and laser etching are top notch as well.

The Rotamass has a smaller diameter and is considerably lighter at 11 oz (0.7 lbs) compared to 4.0 lbs of the OEM part, eliminating 3.3 lbs of rotating mass. The smaller diameter of the Rotamass under-drives the power steering, alternator and AC which further reduces the load on the engine.

The kit contains pulley, removal tool, bolt and belt – everything you need to get it installed. I do have to mention that even with the removal tool, EC’s attention to detail shows. It is cleverly designed and surprisingly, well finished.

The INSTALL:

I am not a stranger to EC’s services, having my suspension parts and the first oil change done by them. Going with them for the install of the pulley is a no brainer. Its always a treat to visit Eurocode. They’re always working on a project and my time there goes by fast.

There is nothing else to say about their techs, they know how to work on VAG cars and they do it the right way. EC’s techs took a little less than an hour and with everything buttoned up, everything still looks OEM. As with the AluKreuz though, its too bad I can not see the blingy pulley as much when I pop the hood.

The DRIVE:

On idle, I did not perceive any new noises or vibrations. But Surprisingly, as soon as I stepped on the gas, I can feel the difference. It revs more freely, it pulls harder, and there is less turbo lag. The acceleration from 1st and 2nd gears is so addicting that I kept doing it after every green light. Accelerating from partial throttle was also smoother because of the immediate turbo spool. There used to be some waiting time for the turbo to kick in, but its more seamless now.

As for the components affected by the new pulley, there are no charging problems so far and the AC and power steering seems to work normally.

I went on a 1400 mile road trip to Arizona with the family and I did not encounter any problems driving through high 90 deg temps fully loaded and with the AC on. It drove smoothly and quietly as usual. Early morning engine starts at sub 40 temps were also uneventful.

Where I found something different though is in passing. Accelerating from 60 to 80 has a bit more urgency. Even surging to 100 seems less cumbersome. I did not expect such a difference in character especially since the car was packed.

The VERDICT:

I was honestly a bit skeptical if I was actually going to feel any improvements with the Rotamass, but I did. It’s a quality part that has improved the drivability of my A4. It has indeed taken the driving experience a couple of notches up the fun scale. Now, if only my warranty will run out already so I can get the APR stage I done.

Eurocode Rotamass Pulley and Intercooler Hose kit

Last night, having received the package from Eurocode, I went ahead and had the Pulley and Hoses installed. My initial impressions opening the box was that, as usual, the quality of the EC products was outstanding. I really do appreciate the time and effort EC seem to be investing in their products. I will tell you, as others have mentioned - the difference in the size and weight between the old pulley and EC pulley is unbelievable. I new it would be lighter, but the difference is crazy.

The install of the hoses was very straight forward, and on the ramp, probably took all of 20 minutes. I got these more because they were on sale at a reasonable price point, and frankly, I like EC goodies - I was not expecting any noticeable gains per se.

The Rotamass pulley took a little longer to install - maybe 40 mins - with two things being the biggest challenge. Firstly, access to the pulley is tight. We ended up unscrewing the Fan control unit to get the sockets up there comfortably. We also noticed that for my car at least, top dead center was very faintly marked. My mechanic (Audi Master Tech who does all my work) called out that it was definitely different to previous year B8's.

So with the new belt on, hoses tight and everything back together, I've put about 100 miles on the car. I will say that if you are looking for a night and day difference, this isn't going to be it. However, I do notice a little more responsiveness from the throttle pedal, very early in the rev range. The car just has a little more "pep" about it. The pedal almost feels lighter if that makes sense.

Anyway, the bottom line - worthwhile investment? Both the items were to me - but then I appreciate EC's build quality, business ethics and passion, and for every small incremental gain I'm collecting, I feel it's money well spent.

I don't have a catalog of pictures (there are photos of the pipes and Pulley all over the forum) but for the sake of it, here's one whilst the car was under surgery.

Results: The stock pulley is super heavy and the Eurocode replacement feels like a feather in comparison. The tool they provide with the pulley is probably created to closer tolerances than the actual pulley is. And I mean that in a good way because it is super critical that the tool fits the pulley incredibly tight or your chances at a successful install are nil. Eurocode delivered on the fit with flying colors. Performance wise I feel like I have a bit more bottom end but it isn't revolutionary. It's hard to tell when the improvements are so small and they quote a change in the < 10 hp range. I am convinced that mods like this all add up a noticeable difference though and am happy I got it. The price on this piece is right and I'm a huge fan of Eurocode in general. They literally have better customer service than any company I have dealt with in my life, so I'm happy to pick up their new products when they become available. In fact, I think I'm going to order their FMIC today which is the only thing they make that isn't on my car yet.

Installed mine today, and it is a noticeable difference to the butt dyno for sure. Great part again for Eurocode, and great cust service (had a small issue today, called and they were a ton of help!) Can't wait for the rest of my stuff to arrive.

Got mine installed at Eurocode this morning. Very straightforward 45 minute install.
The fit and finish is excellent and all parts included with the kit are quality pieces.

So far so good, no CEL's, no new noises or vibrations.

I have noticed that i have better throttle response throughout the powerband, especially from around idle to 3000 RPM

6th gear pulls on the freeway have some more urgency at a given throttle than it did before.

Another thing I noticed was that DSG "fart" has a smaller duration to it, Ill have to test that in different weather conditions and longer term but I think this could be due to the improved reving characteristics.

K04 power wants to come on a little earlier as well, seems like the car really wants to get going starting at 2700-2800 RPM compared to 3000 from before, again, ill have to verify this in long term.

I wasnt expecting night and day, but i think this is another one of those parts to add that "round out" the motor mod list, especially those with upgraded turbos. For the price I think it was worth it.

I visited my friends from Eurocode Tuning today during their VW/Audi mini-meet. I didn't expect them to do much else besides flashing cars to allow people to take advantage of the APR sale before it ends, but they were able to squeeze in the Rotamass Crank Pulley install for my car, which they did at an unbeatable price. The install took about 45 minutes beginning to end, but having a lift undoubtedly made it easier and quicker.

I didn't drive the car for a few hours after the install and hung around the shop. When it came time to leave, I was anxious to see how the Rotamass changed the experience of driving the car. The first surprise came before even driving the car, immediately upon turning the ignition key: the motor cranked and started noticeably quicker, which makes sense since the load on the starter is reduced. At idle I couldn't hear or feel any difference from what I'm used to.

I pulled away from the shop and continued to try to sense sounds and vibrations that I wasn't used to, but couldn't detect any. Moving with traffic towards the freeway I put on the A/C, and soon got cool air coming from the vents. I couldn't really goose it on the surface streets and the meter was on at the freeway on-ramp, so there was just a brief full-throttle run before I had to let off and merge onto the busy 405 freeway. There seemed to be more urgency when accelerating, but one quick sprint was really not conclusive.

The rest of the freeway driving was uneventful, the car didn't seem much different from what I'm used to. The A/C soon cooled down the cabin, and there was no CEL for insufficient alternator current or anything like that. I got home twenty minutes later and parked the car for a couple of hours before leaving again around 8PM to go to dinner.

With the roads far less busy now (and driving on surface streets except for a sprint on the 10 freeway on the way back), I got to exercise the mid-range quite a bit. I'm driving the DSG mostly in manual these days, and the improvement in throttle response from idle to around 3500 RPM is nothing short of remarkable. The engine is much more lively, more than the estimated 9 HP gain would seem to suggest. I remember reading the first impressions of the Audi owner linked to earlier in the thread who said the mid-range was very addictive now, and I agree.

There was also a comment made in this thread which dismissed the benefits of the Rotamass and that suggested to "just go BT". Maybe it was meant as a joke, but I'd like to suggest that those with larger turbos would especially benefit from the Rotamass because larger turbos spool later. Once boosting you'd be hard-pressed to detect the extra 9 HP the Rotamass gives you back, but until then any reduction in parasitic loss is very welcome and very noticeable.

The only downside I see is for people who live in extremely hot climates and who are often stuck in slow traffic. The undercranking mean that the A/C won't cool the air quite as much. At highway speeds it shouldn't make much difference, but when you're sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic it might. My A/C still worked fine on surface streets, but the stock pulley would provide cooler air at the same engine speeds.

Here are some pictures: #1 and #2 are the stock pulley, #3 and #4 are the Rotamass, #5 and #6 are some of the cars that showed up, and #7 is the owner of Eurocode Tuning, Mr. David Sarabi, manning the grill and tending to hot dogs, burgers, and some corn.

Thanks David and everyone at Eurocode Tuning!

Last edited:

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
I'm doing more in-depth research on all forums and google, I'm very interested. I was interested In this pulley before but am scared of what/any possible damage could incure from a MUCH smaller pulley

jerome99

Go Kart Champion

Light weight flywheel, and the lightened pulley is a lot of rotating weight gone. The car was designed for neither so I wonder how it will behave.

Was it tested with an aftermarket clutch?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

kern417

Go Kart Champion
Light weight flywheel, and the lightened pulley is a lot of rotating weight gone. The car was designed for neither so I wonder how it will behave.

i didn't really make it clear, but i was bumping in hopes of a response to the same question. i have a lwfw so i'm curious. it's been almost a week since you asked but i guess who ever is running the eurocode account on here isn't answering questions or doesn't know the answers.

jerome99

Go Kart Champion
i didn't really make it clear, but i was bumping in hopes of a response to the same question. i have a lwfw so i'm curious. it's been almost a week since you asked but i guess who ever is running the eurocode account on here isn't answering questions or doesn't know the answers.

lol got ya, with the LWFW + Crank pulley that is a lot of weight gone. If I don't get an answers I am not getting one until there is enough miles on one with a LWFW

f00kie1

Go Kart Champion
So, one person paid, no response from OP, and 10 days left in the group buy to reach 20 (max discount)?

info@eurocode

Ready to race!
I'm doing more in-depth research on all forums and google, I'm very interested. I was interested In this pulley before but am scared of what/any possible damage could incure from a MUCH smaller pulley
Completely understandable, we have tested the pulley setup on many different cars with all turbo configurations (IHI, K04, 28RS Stage III, 71R Stage III+) and have found zero negative effects to the power train, steering and electrical system.
Interested. How will it act with a LW FW is that too much weight gone?
We are running the pulley on many cars that have lightweight flywheels, it has been tested with DXD Stage III and IV as well as Clutchmasters FX400.
I have a 500W amp -- any ideas if this will cause any issues?
We are not stereo experts but the amount of current that is drawn could cause a strain on your electrical system if you do not have the correct gauge feeding the power supply. If you would like to PM the specs on the amplifier, we can perform a load test to see if there may be a potential issue. I can do it both stock and modified to see if the change will make a difference regarding your circumstance.

We have tested it with both DXD and CM (models above). The TSI motor is internally balanced by design from the factory and has counter rotating balance shafts in the crank case. Our pulley is extremely precise when it comes to both balance and concentricity. (+/- .002 of an inch).

The product has reviewed very well with those who have installed it and we are consistently getting feedback that there is a positive, noticable difference.

Last edited:

djrobot

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm pretty excited to try this product. I think it will mesh well the other engine mods I've done. Can't wait!

f00kie1

Go Kart Champion
So how does this work? I think I only paid $200, so are you going to charge me extra? When will it ship?

Status
Not open for further replies.