GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheels

pmburke80

Ready to race!
I'm currently in negotiations for a new 2010 MKVI. I'm going with 17" Denvers to keep my payment low.

I'm considering the 18x8 R8 style wheels. I really like the look of them. What is the stock offset, 35 or 45 and what else do I need to be on the lookout for with aftermarket wheels? I know the the bolt pattern is 5x112. Is there really any difference between the MK5 and the MK6? Most wheels I see are for the MK5. A set that I am looking at is available with 42 offset and 35. Will either of these fit without problems?

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Mk5 and MK6 are basically the same car. IF it will work for one it will work for the other wheel wise..et45 is okay and kind of conservative. et35 is more agressive, but you wanna be a little lower to complete the wide low look. :thumbup: good luck with your purchase.

pmburke80

Ready to race!
So anything between 45 and 35 I'll be okay? I don't plan on doing anything soon with the suspension. I'm guessing closer to 35 means that the wheels will be farther "out." Is this correct or is it the oposite?

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Yes you are correct sir.

General rule is, suspension before wheels. Even if its just springs.

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion

pmburke80

Ready to race!
Yes. I was reading that post earlier. I just wanted to make sure. I appreciate your help. I won't be making any modifications for a few years. I had my fun the my Mazdaspeed, boost controller, intake, DP, tires, springs and sways. I just kept the original wheels so I'm unfamiliar with offset #s and what not. The MKVI for the time being is just going to be my daily driver. With stock suspension the wheels I'm looking at are all 18x8 with 5x112 bolt pattern and the offsets are either 45, 42 or 35. However, I can't decide if I'm sold on the R8 style wheels or if I like the RS4 wheels. Both look good from the pictures that I've seen.

How many of you guys with aftermarket wheels have been able to use the original lug bolts?

Last edited:

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
It really depends on whos making them. If they are reps most of the time the stock bolts work. However most aftermarket wheels use conical style bolts and the oems are ballseat.

Also RS4> R8s (unless the v10s). Just IMO it matchs the car better. And et42 would be stellar.

pmburke80

Ready to race!
I like the 19" of the R8s and the RS4 in one of the pics of someone's car here. I can't find it at the moment. I think it was MasterKevin's. However my problem in Saint Louis is the winter months. I'm tired of changing out my Dunlop Direzza Star Specs on my MX-5 for my all seasons on the same wheels every time the season changes.

There aren't very many options and well priced all season's for sizes 225/35-19 or 235/35-19.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Save yourself a bunch of cash and hassel and get vw take off wheels. Basically just steel wheels. IIRC they are like $25 a wheel. It would make up the difference in the cost of tires to just buy a dedicated winter set of wheels than swapping tires winter tires on your summer wheels.

Snow tires in 16" are way way way less expensive. The only problem is storing them durring the offseason.

pmburke80

Ready to race!
I'm done swapping. Just going to go with a performance all-season tire. Down the road in a few years when I change the suspension, then I'll get another set of wheels and tires so that I can take them off and switch them myself. This car is just my driver for now. It's handling characteristics don't come close to the handling of my Mazdaspeed MX-5. Of course I do realize I'm comparing two completely different cars. I just love small rwd roadsters and I really hate to get rid of it but it's time.

JCS-2.0T

Ready to race!
If you aren't going lower, I wouldn't get too aggressive of an offset as it kinda looks silly IMO. Stick with 42-45 to be more aggressive than stock yet maintain a good look for the ride height.

MasterKevin

Ready to race!
RS4s are nice :p haha

pmburke80

Ready to race!
I went back to the lot and looked at how the wheels are lined up with the car. And inch and half out would look retarded. I am going to stick with the 42-45. Definitely like the gunmetal wheels however those I've come across only come in 35. So I might have to have them painted.