GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I hope I'm not going to regret this, help me out please

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Personally I think the new passats are not made as well as previous generations. I don't like the fact that VW is making specific versions of the Jetta and Passat just for the US market. The Jetta is just crap. Sure the Passat is American made and they had to make it better because it's a higher caliper car, but I'd say take into account what YOU want in a car. Me I'd keep the GTI because I love everything about it. But I understand happy wife=happier life. So I see both sides. Remember you will be losing money on trading in the GTI. You can usually get 2000 to 4000 more out of the car by selling it yourself. Especially with it still having some of the factory warranty remaining at only 28k.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the very reasonable/thoughtful feedback. Often what seems like kids on here bash each other for differing opinions.

I have to admit that new R with DSG is going to be pretty nice...here I go again.

The CC starts at about $32.5K and is pretty well equipped at that price including Xenon, nav and heated seats.

Oh, not as bad as I thought... still, I'd roll in an ATS for that kind of coin. Or just get a GLI for $24k with the same engine and not that different of a car (or just a GTI :laugh:). But to each their own, the CC does look awesome, very sexy design compared to a balndish GLI.

OP congrats on the car... not what I would do but it sounds like it works for you and that's what counts. You'll be in a new R in a couple of years though :lol:

McQueen77

Banned
Yeah, trading it in is the biggest bummer. You lose money getting out of your car early no matter what, thanks to epic depreciation, so selling it privately offsets that. Trading it in at the dealer shaves another $2000-3000 of ass raping.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
At least he got the sales tax credit, that helps. If it was equivalent to $17.1k he didn't do too bad, private it's probably an $18-19k car tops.

cranker1987

Ready to race!
Most of these posts don't seem to acknowledge the fact that the OP would be driving clients around; clients who aren't likely to be GTI drivers. My 80 year old in laws and my overweight mother all struggle to get into my GTI, regardless of front or back seat. And, it does look like a young person's car, not a real estate salesman's car, who deals with older clients. Passat sounds like a great, practical choice under those circumstances. Size and style matters in his case.

cranker1987

Ready to race!
That has no relevance at all, since the only car they could get into relatively easily would be an SUV with running boards. If that.

Well, the inlaws drive a big Buick and the parents drive an X3. I expect they all grumble behind my back about the GTI, but I did get the 4dr and tried out the back seat before purchasing a Golf to make sure it didn't require gymnastics to enter. Compared to similar sized cars, the GTI has good rear seat space, but it is tougher to get into than a larger sedan, like the Passat. Plus, good luck seating 5 full size adult Americans semi - comfortably in a GTI. The OP isn't taking his drinking buddies on a Taco Bell run. He is taking clients to view properties. The clients should be inconvenienced as little as possible to keep them in a positive mood.

McQueen77

Banned
I fully understand. This was a factor getting rid of my GTI. It was a 2 door. Great car if you are a single-ish guy with no kids in your 20s. Otherwise, nah. The 4 door though is fine as far as interior car room. It's just not a plush ride if you are driving people around.

get a 2014 vw passat sport and call it a day.

That or just get a $7k off msrp Avalon if you want pseudo plush luxury.

nomadic

Ready to race!
Driving clients around in the real estate market......well I could see wanting something more roomier than a GTI...and something more "adultish looking."

With that said, I'm 44 and if my real estate agent shuttled me around in a GTI, I'd actually look forward to it :w00t:.
But that's not everyone.

But if I went sedan, I'd pass on the Passat unless I could find a used 3.6 version. Any other version is too underpowered IMO.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Thanks for the reply's. I pulled the trigger on the 2014 Passat 1.8 Auto SE with roof. I will miss my GTI, fantastic car, quality, FUN, versatility and the list goes on and on. I drove the Passat home last night from the dealer at 10:30 pm! I found some "errors" on the paperwork regarding proper tax amount, MV fees so dinner didnt happen, but the net result will be worth it I believe.

Anyway I love my GTI but this Passat is a fine machine for what it is- a comfortable, solid VERY roomy and well equipped vehicle that IMO is excellent for what it is. Silly as it may seem, in addition to the compliant ride and much more "luxuriant" ride quality, I was amazed how much MORE tolerable it was to look in the automatic rear view mirror with the day/night mirror's filtering out the harshness and glare of the car's lights behind me. Odd observation I'll admit, but it's easy on the eyes, and something I ish my GTI had especially when those tall pickup trucks lights were boring into my eyeballs even when flipping the tab on the mirror. Auto mirror is great.

I was able to get very comfortable and was pleased with the 1.8 turbo automatic performance. Hey this isn't a DSG GTI, and I don't expect it to be, but for what it is says value for the buck this long time VW owner. Fuel economy and the benefit of regular vs premium.

Lastly I think the pricing aspect worked out. MSRP of $28,100. Selling price $24,102. Not bad huh from a former VW sales guy in the 80's? Trade is where they have an opportunity to make something on the deal. Initially they wanted to give me $14,000 (yeah sure). Eventually $16,000 for the trade, which is equal to $17.110 if it were a private sale when you consider that you pay tax on the difference between the sale price and trade which in this case $8,102 plux tax MV, BS doc fee plus payoff of $4,660.

Could I have better? Probably if I sold the car privately, but I don't have the time or patience, and the seamless transition into the other car as worth it. The dealer is giving another year of maintenance to mimic the previous 3 year 36,000 service vs current 2/24,000 on current VW program and extending the powertrain warranty to 10 years or 100,000 miles at no additional cost. Like my GTI, this is a PZEV car too. What that means for people SOME states, is that VW at their expense will replace ANY EMISSION component at their expense for 15 years or 150,000 miles. Thats worth something too if you drive your car more than 100,000 miles. Finance program 1.59% for 72 months (ill pay off early) so my payment us up to $201.22 from $177.96 with zero cash down other than equity in the car. Last day of the month is best leverage for the buyer.

Is it worth it? It has to be, no turning back but I'm pretty satisfied and will get used to the change, but some times change is good for you. I am really curious how the new higher 2015 HP Golf R with DSG will be. :DForget I just said that.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone.

Congrats on the purchase. Sounds like you're happy. Do they really recommend regular 87 oct in that? Even if they do, I'd still suggest Premium. Also that APR tune would be very worth the money if you want a little extra power to satisfy your "fast." And you can always throw it back to stock mode for the wife when you're finished driving. ;)

Nitron

Ready to race!
Pay the car off already. Are you really making those little minimum payments each month?

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
Last edited:

65Strad

Ready to race!
Up date on the Passat. Finished a maiden voyage from the NJ Shore to Va. Beach and back and have 1,038 miles on the clock. Avg. 32.7 MPG. I have to say, surprisingly, that 184 lb ft of torque on a 1.8T rated at 170hp isn't a yawn for 5 1/5 hr. drive. In fact the turbo spools so quickly I find always find myself pulling away quickly from the pack from a stop without conscience effort when glancing in the rear view mirror, and it's smooth, not herky jerky.

Sure it's big and spacious inside, but it handles great and when cruising on the Turnpike 2200 RPM at 85 mph. It's a lot of car for the money and fun to drive, although not GTI fun. My $201.02 payment is slightly more than the GTI but doesn't completely blow my almost $8,000 per month fixed nut out of the water (Nitron). Buyers remorse is over (sort of) so I'll ride it out for a while.

When the time is right, Maybe an all wheel drive DSG turbo of some sort will be in the cards when we are in the 55 plus community:D.

Last edited: