GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CEL for misfires = carbon buildup ?

///809

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey Peeps..

Wondering if anyone could chime in and see if all this adds up.

So Friday evening my girl is driving the car and the CEL comes on. Saturday morning I swing by an indy and when they check the errors the car is throwing are misfires on 3 of 4 cylinders.

The manager first tells me that It could be the coil pack, but if it was it might be a specific cylinder and not 3 of them. So he says the next cause of this can be the carbon buildup.

Can anyone confirm ?

And if so, he estimated around $370 to clean it.

Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks in advance for any input.

speedster

Go Kart Champion
For $370 they won't be doing a real clean, probably just spraying some product into the intake. Might get you by for a while but sooner or later you're going to need a real clean ($700+).

How many miles do you have?

You could get a cheap USB borescope on eBay for $20 and feed it down the temp sensor hole on the air intake and see how much buildup there is.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
swap the coilpacks and see if the misfire follows it. or replace them with redtops because you will be down the road anyway. if it's still bad check your plugs. i have yet to hear of anyone confirming that their misfires were due to carbon buildup, though it could happen.

sean@apr

Ready to race!
swap the coilpacks and see if the misfire follows it. or replace them with redtops because you will be down the road anyway. if it's still bad check your plugs. i have yet to hear of anyone confirming that their misfires were due to carbon buildup, though it could happen.

This.

///809

Passed Driver's Ed
@speedster - He mentioned removing it from the engine and cleaning it, but if avg price is about 700+ then you might be right.

@kern417 Thanks, that was my first assumption I just wanted to run what he told me to see if someone had heard of it. He cleared the codes I believe, or atleast the CEL is not there anymore. Should I replace w/ redtops and just wait to see if it comes back on?

Or should It still throw the code if the problem persist? (even if the CEL light is off)

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
carbon build up can give you a rough idle, which new plugs, and coils won't fix.....at least that was my experience....got 70k miles before I needed a cleaning.

speedster

Go Kart Champion
@speedster - He mentioned removing it from the engine and cleaning it, but if avg price is about 700+ then you might be right.

@kern417 Thanks, that was my first assumption I just wanted to run what he told me to see if someone had heard of it. He cleared the codes I believe, or atleast the CEL is not there anymore. Should I replace w/ redtops and just wait to see if it comes back on?

Or should It still throw the code if the problem persist? (even if the CEL light is off)
You can't remove the valves without disassembling the entire engine. Maybe he meant he's is going to remove the intake manifold?

45k is right. I had it at 50k and they were crazily dirty.