GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Used GTI, am I pushing too far?

aagui

Hey Guys,
I'm looking to a buy a used '13 GTI that is currently priced at $27,995. I don't agree with that price at all. The car has 4k miles and is a 4-door automatic with what looks like the conv. pckg (except it has the Xenon headlights). Is it possible to get those headlights without getting the navi system?
Anyway, I am trying to get it for 24k, taking into account that the car loses 20% of its value as soon as you take it out the door. You think this is worth pursuing? This is my first car purchase, so I'm not sure what is acceptable...

Merkle

Banned
28k is about what you would pay for one new with those features and options. Does it have leather?

no, on '13 it is not possible to get bi-xenon without the nav. system.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
It has the Sunroof and Nav package, which has the traditional plaid "Jacky" cloth, sunroof, RNS-315 navigation, bi-xenon headlights with LED DRLs. , and new for 2013-up, the Laguna wheels. VW does not offer any of those options a la carte in the US...unless you get complete leather reupholstery as part of the deal like me. :D

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
way too high, imho...

aagui

Could I get away with dropping 20% off the sticker price for a new GTI 4-door with navi (~30k MSRP)?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
you should be able to get deep discounts off MSRP.. usually in the range of $2K-$3K, if not more, depending on the model year, location, dealer inventory, and so on.

If you want specific help, peep my sig and PM me/like the site on FB and I will help you.

Credit

Ready to race!
If you want specific help, peep my sig and PM me/like the site on FB and I will help you.

Gunkata being a standup guy yet again.

plat

Ready to race!
I followed the link to the dealer website and noticed that the white GTI on the photo has the Watkins-Glenn (or Laguna) wheels. This means what they're selling is a Wolfsburg special edition model marking the end of the MK6 GTI production run for North America.

Here's a blurb I copied from a VW news release:
"The GTI Wolfsburg edition goes on sale in the first quarter starting at $25,095 for a 6-speed manual model. It includes a retro golf-ball shifter, red-stitched floor mats and 18-in. Laguna wheels. Adding a 6-speed dual-clutch automatic brings the price to $26,195."

IMHO, the $27,995 price tag is too high for a used 2013 GTI but it is not clear from the ad if there are other options that are included in the vehicle that jacked the price up for $27,995. Regardless, they seem to be selling it at MSRP like a brand new car. I would say $25,000 may be a good number to consider. But, since this is the Wolfsburg special edition, they may not budge on their price. You can certainly try to haggle down the price. It won't kill or hurt you to do so.

GOBbluth

Ready to race!
This is what i paid for my brand new 2012 in June last year:
Selling Price to your new vehicles: $26,500.00
Trade ACV (actual cash value): <$6,750.00>
Vw Trade Assistance: <$500.00>
New Purchase Price: $19,250.00 +++

So 26.5k or with the vw 500 offer, 26k before taxes (but theyre not bad in NC so it was like 27,100 out the door). Mine was exact same model with Nav and xenon, but 6MT. The one you are looking at is automatic.

Still, seems like the fact that DSG model is more expensive should still mean a used model with 4k, should also be around 26k. I don't think you should be paying more than I did just bc of DSG when it is used.

You are also buying 2-3 months earlier than I did, but I still think it is high. I think 25,250 would be a decent price. If you really want it, maybe 26.5.

blitzoid

Passed Driver's Ed
Which dealer are you talking to? You may do a lot better if you run a 500mi search on autotrader. I talked to sales folks at a few dealers before getting my GTI (used) at a ford dealer in denton. The reputation of the VW dealers (when it comes to fair pricing and low BS) in Dallas isn't great...

If you do pick it up, and you want to pocket some extra cash, I'll swap wheelsets with you (running 17" portos right now) and toss some $$$ on top to make up the difference.

aagui

Which dealer are you talking to? You may do a lot better if you run a 500mi search on autotrader. I talked to sales folks at a few dealers before getting my GTI (used) at a ford dealer in denton. The reputation of the VW dealers (when it comes to fair pricing and low BS) in Dallas isn't great...

If you do pick it up, and you want to pocket some extra cash, I'll swap wheelsets with you (running 17" portos right now) and toss some $$$ on top to make up the difference.

I am looking pretty much at San Antonio, Austin and Dallas. This is the only used one I have found that I would consider (if they are willing to reduce the price significantly). Thanks for the tip though.
Actually if I buy new, I'd get conv. package just to get the laguna wheels, so it might be hard to get a trade...

aagui

I followed the link to the dealer website and noticed that the white GTI on the photo has the Watkins-Glenn (or Laguna) wheels. This means what they're selling is a Wolfsburg special edition model marking the end of the MK6 GTI production run for North America.

Here's a blurb I copied from a VW news release:
"The GTI Wolfsburg edition goes on sale in the first quarter starting at $25,095 for a 6-speed manual model. It includes a retro golf-ball shifter, red-stitched floor mats and 18-in. Laguna wheels. Adding a 6-speed dual-clutch automatic brings the price to $26,195."

Well, since the picture shows LED headlights, I don't think it's the Wolfsburg. I'm thinking it might be the sunroof+Navi version. But the installed options part doesn't give much info on it.