GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jerky cruise control??

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
I've noticed recently that when I set my cruise control over 75 MPH it is very jerky trying to maintain speed. I can see the RPMs jumping up and down 100 or so every couple seconds and I can feel the car lurching and decelerating almost constantly. Getting ready for a 4k mile road trip and would like to be able to use it, any ideas?

Car is a 2012 DSG with 37k miles.

I've also noticed my MPGs have gone done probably 10-15%, not sure if that could be related.

kennega

Ready to race!
When you're just driving around like normal and you're maintaining speed with your foot (over 75) - do you experience the same thing? Sounds symptomatic of a leak somewhere or perhaps misfires. Any chance you've got access to a VAG-COM?

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
When you're just driving around like normal and you're maintaining speed with your foot (over 75) - do you experience the same thing? Sounds symptomatic of a leak somewhere or perhaps misfires. Any chance you've got access to a VAG-COM?
I don't have access to a VAGCOM unfortunately. I can turn the cruise off and the problem goes away. The best way I can describe it is it feels like it's trying really hard to maintain a perfect speed and it's over reacting if it goes half a MPH off in either direction.

The plugs and coils are stock, I'm honestly surprised I haven't had to replace one yet. My car has had none of the typical GTI issues.

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
I feel like I've felt this sensation before. Haven't really worried about it and don't remember if it was present stock. I'll have to try without cruise control and pay attention.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
cruise will always try to maintain its indicated speed but the GTI has always been super smooth in my experience. The best is when you hit a huge uphill going 75 on cruise, drops to 72 and GTI says "let me downshift to 4th!". All it knows it to maintain requested speed.

corydd

Go Kart Champion
I would get it checked out. I've used cruise control in my GTI many times and haven't experienced anything like this.

red_stapler

Ready to race!
I'm a total noob when it comes to these cars; but if I were trying to figure it out, maybe shift to manual mode and see if it jerks if you make it hold 6th gear, maybe try 5th also?