GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Less engine braking than usual

dub*man

Ready to race!
Hi all,

I have a 2011 GTI with 114,000 miles on it. The only change I have on it is R8 Coil packs. A few days ago I noticed the car seemed to coast in gear for way longer than it usually did on the same roads I drive every single day. I have a few unusual symptoms..

1. Seemingly coasts forever
2. Lots of rev hang (more than usual)
3. Sometimes runs very rough at idle. (started to misfire once but a few revs sorted that out)

I scanned the car with vagcom but there were not codes stored relating to the motor.

Any ideas as to what I can look into next?

thanks

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
INTAKE MAINIFOLD FLAPS

I have a few unusual symptoms..

1. Seemingly coasts forever
2. Lots of rev hang (more than usual)
3. Sometimes runs very rough at idle. (started to misfire once but a few revs sorted that out)

I scanned the car with vagcom but there were not codes stored relating to the motor.

Any ideas as to what I can look into next?

thanks
Those all point toward intake manifold flaps not working correctly
( not in the correct position, opening and closing when they should )

Check the linkage and make sure its ok then rotate the flaps by hand and make sure they move freely might have carbon build up, if not might be time for a new intake manifold. Hope this helps Bob.G

dub*man

Ready to race!
Thanks for all the help everyone. The car had a valve cleaning performed at 58k. Still no codes being logged. I checked the actuator and it seemed to move freely enough. There was nothing that felt like it was being blocked up by anything.
The only resistance I felt was from the spring mechanism.

I may just buy a new manifold and have a cleaning performed.

Is a small increase in turbo lag also common when the manifold goes bad? Sound and feels like it reaches peak boost by 2600ish RPM whereas before it was closer to 2000 RPM.

simpson110

Ready to race!
From the description you give it sounds like low compression. I would do a compression test on all the cylinders just to see where you're at. Chances are you will be fine, but just a thought.

zrickety

The Fixer
Sounds like you may have a boost leak too, or perhaps it's all carbon buildup. The extra rev hang would be the ECU burning the extra fuel. Loss of power would go with that but more gradually. If it's only been a few days it points to something else. Have you checked the plugs and were they torqued properly?

dub*man

Ready to race!
Sorry for long reply time.. Car is going for new intake manifold and carbon cleaning at dealer. I'll post results:)