GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tinted

2010 UG

Ready to race!
I got my car tinted yesterday and thought I'd some (crappy) pics. Its 30% on the fronts, 20% everywhere else. The third pic shows a lot more difference between the shades than I can see in real life.

MasterKevin

Ready to race!
very nice :) keep it up

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Love the tinted look, darker than I'd go, but it does look good.

2010 UG

Ready to race!
I was a little worried about it being too dark myself. Once you're in the car though there's almost no loss in visibility, its more like sitting in the shade. My previous cars have always had factory tint so I got to learn a little bit about the different options this time around. I can really tell the difference in using a higher quality film.

GTIstump

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks great man.....:thumbsup: Geezz...I very near went with a Carbon 2-door.....seeing yours, I'm a little sad right now......I LOVE'it. :clap:

My tint man is lined up for next weekend or the one after....can't wait. :) Thinking of going 25-30% myself. ;)

archetypaul

Passed Driver's Ed
I was a little worried about it being too dark myself. Once you're in the car though there's almost no loss in visibility, its more like sitting in the shade. My previous cars have always had factory tint so I got to learn a little bit about the different options this time around. I can really tell the difference in using a higher quality film.

getting a tint on my CW very soon, though i know nothing about tint films. Any suggestions for a good place to read up on which kind of tint would be good? Looking for around 35% with as little visibility loss as possible.

2010 UG

Ready to race!
I cant remember anywhere specifically that I used for research, I really just did searches for tinting forums, and different types of tint (ceramic, metallic, etc.). The sales guy was very helpful as well and had heat lamp type set-up that allowed you to feel the difference of different shades/types.

Seeing that you're in Houston I would definitely recommend the shop I used if your looking for a place. It was Executive Motorsports on Hillcroft and Voss. I called on Saturday morning hoping to set up an appointment and had shiny new tinted windows an hour later. The work itself took maybe 30 minutes. If you're a little bit more south I've heard rave reviews about Pablo Blue in Clear Lake.

Last edited:

archetypaul

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks for the advice, i've seen people mention Executive a few times so i was thinking about going there. Hopefully i'll get something done next weekend.

Chasing Neil

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks great man.....:thumbsup: Geezz...I very near went with a Carbon 2-door.....seeing yours, I'm a little sad right now......I LOVE'it. :clap:

My tint man is lined up for next weekend or the one after....can't wait. :) Thinking of going 25-30% myself. ;)
just to clarify for ya it was a united grey and not the carbon steel grey. i originally wanted a united grey seeing the autoguide review: http://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/volkswagen/2010-volkswagen-gti-first-drive-1195.html

that said, from what i've noticed we all have a little gti envy when it comes to colors, options and layups... might be an interesting poll to see if you could repurchase how you'd option your gti...

anyway, tints are a must. i got 30% all around on my 4door csg. if anything it helps with the headlight reflection from the mirrors. the tints actually saved me from having to get an antiglare rear view.

archetypaul

Passed Driver's Ed
As per 2010 UG's suggestion i stopped by Executive Motorsports today to inquire about a tint for my 2010 CW TDI. I think i've decided on the nichrome (metallic) but i haven't decided whether i'll do 30% all around or 20% on the hatch or hatch + rear windows. I'm pretty sure about the hatch but i can't really decide if i like the front and rear windows having different shades when they butt up against each other.

Which tint did you get UG? For the metallic tints i recall there being titanium and nichrome to choose from. Also, what part of houston are you in? If it's convenient for you i'd really appreciate seeing your tint job in person before i plop the bucks down to get it done.

edgary

Ready to race!
How much did they quote you for 30% front and 20% on the rest?

My friendly neighborhood dealership quoted me $399 for such service and I have no idea how that compares to outside shops.

2010 UG

Ready to race!
How much did they quote you for 30% front and 20% on the rest?

My friendly neighborhood dealership quoted me $399 for such service and I have no idea how that compares to outside shops.

Final price after taxes was 297