GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Selling a car STOCK VS MODD

JISUN_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
i am planing to sell my car by 2017.

i was looking for part out but labor fee was too much

so i rather sell with all part

but how much you guys willing to purchase?

would you guys rather purchase stock or mod?

i have

APR Stage 2 ECU TUNED
APR TCU TUNED
APR FRONT&REAR INTAKE(2017 NEW)
APR DOWNPIPE
APR INTERCOOLER

FULL AIRLIFT
19" ROTIFORM KPS WHEEL SET (Michelin PSS Tire 90%) Current
18" Laguna Wheel Set (Michelin PS3+ 70%)

Golf R Front Bumper
Carbon Fiber extended Wings
Custom Quad Exhaust Tip

Currently 42K Mile(DSG Oil Change Done 40K)
Oil change Every 5K with Liquy Moly Oil
Done All maintained up to date.
2014 GTI Autobanh
No Accident
1 Owner

* im not APR Fanboy, dealer was close by and i just got good deal on them.
* i have ALL the Paper work

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Everyone wants to buy a car stock because in most cases you can believe it wasn't beat on already and has the platform to be carved into what they want. Buying a modded car is like taking someone else's vision and trying to rock it.

I'm not saying buying modded always is a bad thing because in most cases, you are getting a better deal where the parts come included but the dealer isn't charging you completely for them because they don't even know exactly what is on the car.

I think as a seller, you can make more money obviously selling it stock, OR as you did, listing the parts involved, being honest and upfront to a potential buyer and they might give you moreso what it is worth with the parts included.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
If you cant remove any of the items on your own and you need to pay for labor, I say sell the rotiforms separately and the car as is. Its more then likely you wont make back the money spent on mods no matter how you decide to sell them. The money you'll make selling the parts separately will be just making the money back spent on labor.

if you can remove parts on your own though Id consider still selling the car as a stage 2 vehicle but remove and sell the intercooler, R bumper, rear intake pipe, carbon fiber pieces

Pre95

Passed Driver's Ed
Generally selling a modified car puts you in to a niche market of where commuters will discard wanting to purchase your vehicle because as described above, most people feel if someone modified their car they were driving it harder (or question workmanship, aftermarket part reliability, etc). It's best to return the car to as stock as possible, sell the mods 2nd hand, and list the car on it's own.

zrickety

The Fixer
Cars are like houses, you don't always get money for the improvements but to the right buyer they are a plus. I wouldn't bother pulling and swapping parts hoping to make an extra $1000 or whatever. GTI by definition is an enthusiast car, people want performance. Stage 2, intercooler, pipes, etc all are bonus.
NADA is a good place to look up values...dealer price for your car would be $18k. You can expect $15-16 if you trade and anywhere in the middle if you sell privately. A cloth interior stock GTI near me with the same miles is $16k at the dealer.

BIG FAT UNCLE PAULY

Ready to race!
First, you never get the money back from mods made.

Second, modified cars sell for much less than stock cars. Dealers wouldn't even look at mine when I was selling.

Best thing is if you can replace as much stock parts as possible and don't mention any mods left on when selling.

Modified cars are financial disasters. After selling my GTI for a big loss two years ago I finally replaced it with a new Mazda MX-5 Miata which I will keep stock.

Turbosharef

Go Kart Newbie
To sell a heavily modded car is one thing, you have to appeal to a certain small market that wants an already complete modded cars, those people are hard to find but they are out there. for your car specifically though, other than the air ride it is lightly modded in my opinion with mods that someone would probably do anyways. i would try to sell it as a complete unit if you're not in a rush , im sure it will sell.