GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Random Airbag Deployment!

GavinB

HI,
I have a 2011 golf gti with 85k km's on it, I have only had it 4 months and done less then 2000 km since I bought it. I was driving down the road last week at 100km when the passenger side airbags went off with out warning!! the car was not in an accident and I kept it on the road. all the seat belts went off as well.i had it taken to the local dealer on the back of a truck and while they were looking at it the drivers side airbags went off!! lucky the tech wasn't hurt.They have said there was over 36 faults logged in the system.

The insurance are saying there not interested as the car was not in an accident. Have asked for the dealer to contact VW and try to find out more about what happened and why????

Was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and if so what was the outcome???

Any advice on what I can do and what my rights are?????

Thanks

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
wow thats strange. Ive never heard of this happening in the GTI please keep it updated

Jaber

Modero
Ouch. Maybe previous owner messed with some of the electrical? Was it ever involved in a flood?

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
Man, that sucks. When I used to work as an insurance adjuster I had a case where a client hit a curb with his right front wheel in his Camaro, not even hard enough to throw his alignment even slightly off, and it blew EVERY airbag - I’m talking both curtains, seats, seat belts, driver and passenger and the knee bags for both. It’s rare but these things happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHerna

Ready to race!
In most cases, the dealer or VW should be able to tell why they went off. The car's ECU should have a record of events. They should easily be able to pinpoint exactly how it happened.

GavinB

Just a little update.

Its now been over 4 1/2 months (which is longer than I have had the car,4 months) and still no answer from VW they have had the car looked over for damage and found nothing! its not been hit underneath and no water damage. they even went as far as to check the speakers were standard as they thought that playing the music to loud had set them off! (lol).
The latest is the asked for ECU and the door impact sensors from the doors to be sent back to the factory to be checked.
Still waiting for them to find anything. As usual I will have to chase them up as they never update me on what is going on.

slowgti08

Ready to race!
Keep contacting them and annoying them with this issue to make it a priority if not they’ll keep giving you the ring around. Airbags randomly going off is not safe and they should take care of the issue immediately. If I was you I wouldn’t even trust driving the car anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tzd

Ready to race!
Just a little update.

Its now been over 4 1/2 months (which is longer than I have had the car,4 months) and still no answer from VW they have had the car looked over for damage and found nothing! its not been hit underneath and no water damage. they even went as far as to check the speakers were standard as they thought that playing the music to loud had set them off! (lol).
The latest is the asked for ECU and the door impact sensors from the doors to be sent back to the factory to be checked.
Still waiting for them to find anything. As usual I will have to chase them up as they never update me on what is going on.

Are you still dealing with the local dealership? You should get in touch with VW corporate. https://www.volkswagen.co.nz/contact/

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Any open recalls, or what about the Air Bag mfg, who mfg VW air bag system, there ever a recall/class action suit on the Japanese mfg who makes the air bags for many different models.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Wow.........serious stuff. Keep us all updated. Wonder if this is somehow related to the Takata airbag recall - ? I don't know if VW used them..

lukesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Faulty sensors ? Check your vin to see if the car was ever in an accident.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk