GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'08 Rabbit to '11 Golf TDI

KH27

So...

Right now I am driving a 2008 4 door Rabbit, 65k miles on it.

I'm looking at a new 2011 2 door Golf TDI.

After my trade in value, tax, title and registration, I'm looking at about a $450 payment, from $300. My question is... does this seem worth it?

I'm looking to switch for a number of reasons: I want a car with better fuel economy. Also, I'm concerned about the miles on my Rabbit. Another big selling factor is VW's carefree maintenance.

Are you guys thinking the money I'll be saving in fuel and service (for both the Rabbit and Golf) is worth the extra payment?

Ronan1

Ready to race!
willl you be saving 150 in gas per month? The mk6 is a nice car. I love mine.

You can also add in the fact that you won't be paying for any maintenance for 36k miles.....probably a wash.

The TDI is a nice car, and the torque is amazing. Also factor in higher resale values than the regular Golf.

aditya369us

Ready to race!
What is the price you getting on 2011 golf tdi ?

So...

Right now I am driving a 2008 4 door Rabbit, 65k miles on it.

I'm looking at a new 2011 2 door Golf TDI.

After my trade in value, tax, title and registration, I'm looking at about a $450 payment, from $300. My question is... does this seem worth it?

I'm looking to switch for a number of reasons: I want a car with better fuel economy. Also, I'm concerned about the miles on my Rabbit. Another big selling factor is VW's carefree maintenance.

Are you guys thinking the money I'll be saving in fuel and service (for both the Rabbit and Golf) is worth the extra payment?

What are the numbers on your golf tdi ? Come on, share the knowledge !

KH27

I'm trying to get them down to $24,700 on the Golf TDI. They last told me $25,000.

Also, it's a two door Automatic, no sunroof, no nav, or cold weather package, pretty basic Golf TDI.

aditya369us

Ready to race!
I'm trying to get them down to $24,700 on the Golf TDI. They last told me $25,000.

Also, it's a two door Automatic, no sunroof, no nav, or cold weather package, pretty basic Golf TDI.

That is a bit high for that car. What was the sticker on the car ? I guess they are giving you like 500 off of sticker or something. I just bought mine two days ago for 22,850 plus ttl, (sticker was 24,560). Granted mine was a manual , but still they have an automatic for 23,900 I believe. And there may even be some room in that price. The dealer I used seems to have pretty good prices compared to others in Texas. Maybe you should buy out of state ? TAKE THE COLD WEATHER PACKAGE ! For where you live it is 295 well spent !

Last edited:

tuan209

Passed Driver's Ed

Way too high.

There was one in Houston with 2DR, sunroof, Dynaudio, and xenons for 25,600.

I think you can do much better than 24,700.

Merelington

Ready to race!
Unless you're racking up miles really quickly I wouldn't trade a 3 yr old car to save a little on gas. You'll be losing more $$ by taking the brunt of the depreciation than you'll save in fuel.

Keep the rabbit, have 0 monthly payments for a while, then in 3-4 years buy a mk7 TDI. Some fuel saving tips to get you by:

-Inflate tires to about 38 psi for less rolling resistance
-Keep your air filter clean
-Remove the spare wheel in the hatch if you've got road side assistance and aren't going on long trips
-Draft larger trucks on the highway (but never construction/cement truck unless you want to accumulate stone chips)
-Remember that Cruise Control is your friend on the highway
-Instead of coasting downhill give her a little gas so you can coast uphill (for routes you frequent)
-Go stage 1 APR

Last edited:

aditya369us

Ready to race!
I would upgrade to the mk6 tdi because your fuel savings alone will be at least 5cents per mile , plus you won't be paying anything for maintenance for the next three years, you get a fresh set of tires and brakes etc, and the tdi will loose A LOT LESS ( percent wise) in depreciation over the next two or three years than the 08 rabbit . I have a family member who bought a 2009 jetta tdi, used it for 25k miles, and only lost 2000 dollars when she traded it in after about two years.
(p.s. Don't buy the new jetta tdi though. If you do buy a new tdi, buy the golf tdi )

golftdi4life

Passed Driver's Ed
Go for it. The MKVI is a much more refined car, I just went from a MKV Golf to a MKVI Golf 2 door. You should get some great fuel economy with the TDI if you do most of your driving on the highway.