GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Top speed stock gti 2.0?

serge1

Ready to race!
GPS confirmed? or off the speedo, gotta realize how inaccurate the cars speedo (analog and digital) are at the higher speeds

That's true. However, indicated speed on the GTI I tested three weeks ago, was exactly on par with the GPS device I was carrying: 126 mph. The GTI is the first car I've ever driven with a 100% accurate speedometer. The car did not go any faster than 126 mph, and I tried several times. I was very frustrated and disappointed. :mad0259:

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion
I'm stage 2 and I did a top speed run this Thursday on my way to Chicago lol. My car slowed down a lot once I passed 130mph and it kept climing till about 145mph (that's what it said on the electronic speedo). Once I hit 145mph I do think I had a little more left but not much, so it's hard for me to believe people are reaching 150mph+ because I was on the gas pedal for a good 45-50seconds. I even recorded it so I'll upload it soon. Also I did do my top speed run with two other passengers in the car with me, they wanted to see how fast my little car could go lol, so maybe I could have gone faster without the two.

Here's the vid

Last edited:

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
Also I did do my top speed run with two other passengers in the car with me, they wanted to see how fast my little car could go lol, so maybe I could have gone faster without the two.

That may have been your problem. I'm thinking at least a few hundred pounds was added to the weight of your car with your two passengers. My car only has stage 1 and definitely wasn't slowing like yours. What octane were you using?

Fordson

Ready to race!
Stage I flash only - 300' above sea level - about 75 degrees F. Road pretty level, maybe gaining and losing 25' over the whole approx. 2 miles.

Got up to 135 (just to make sure the limiter was deactivated, you see), but from the way it was climbing, I would say it was good for maybe 150-152. Gearing puts it at just under 152 mph at 6k rpm in 6th, where the power with this tune, stock turbo, really starts to fall off.

Cars with more hp than torque have higher top speeds, compared to their acceleration - my tuned SVT Focus would do 140 true, even with only 155 hp at the wheels, because it was making it at 7000 rpm.

The GTI is more a torque car, and unless you install a larger turbo it's just not going to make big hp at the engine speeds you need for a really high top speed...but even though my GTI will probably only go 10-12 mph faster than the Focus, it gets up there a HELL of a lot faster.

BSosa2492

Ready to race!
i only got 121 out of it (on the digital reader)

qshashaa

Ready to race!
I searched the forum and have not come across what the stock gti is capable of. I read on line that it is around 149mph. What are your top speeds stock?
i have a 2012 gti 6 speed manual 2 door, it wont go more than 120 on the MDI it said 193km and wouldnt go any further thats the new governor i guess, really fast though, wanna go faster get a chip

black power

Passed Driver's Ed
mine is stock and i got 260 km/h thats around 161 mph

John Y1

Ready to race!
That's true. However, indicated speed on the GTI I tested three weeks ago, was exactly on par with the GPS device I was carrying: 126 mph. The GTI is the first car I've ever driven with a 100% accurate speedometer. The car did not go any faster than 126 mph, and I tried several times. I was very frustrated and disappointed. :mad0259:

Assuming you are riding around in a US-spec, stock GTI in Germany, that more or less make sense - you have a 130 mph limiter. I have also noticed the my speedometer readings coincide very closely with the Garmin.

Mine is US spec, and I am also in Germany. The car is chipped but while in stock mode (which I thought still had a limiter but clearly doesn't) the car hit a GPS indicated 151 mph. It has an S3 intercooler. I have seen 153 mph (both on level ground) in chipped mode and I think it had a little more.

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
Top speed 200 km/h
Couldn't do more unfortunately :mad0259:

black power

Passed Driver's Ed
bro u gotta try it...i did 250 km/h for 5 mins after that i started driving 120 km/h i felt that im not moving :p loool

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
bro u gotta try it...i did 250 km/h for 5 mins after that i started driving 120 km/h i felt that im not moving :p loool

Depends on the roads and u know what i mean :laugh:

black power

Passed Driver's Ed
lol try out town roads ;)

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
lol try out town roads ;)

haha well you let me know when you are back in town and we'll check out those TOWN ROADS u talkin about :happyanim: