GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No oil pan bolt??

pdan

Ready to race!
Hey guys, I figured I'd check with someone before I did something stupid. Going to change the oil today, and saw it was a 19mm bolt online that needed to come out to change to oil. Go down, and where I thought the bolt is there was this

So am I being completely dumb and just missing something, sorry this is my first actual oil change ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZiggyMKVI

Ready to race!
Looks like someone decided to put in a different style bolt. Where did you get the oil changed before?

pdan

Ready to race!
This is the first time I've changed the oil, I bought it CPO back in November. So that is definitely where the oil pan bolt should go, now I just have to find something that will fit it I guess.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
That is the oem bolt. My 2013 has one of those. When I went to the dealer for some crush washers I asked the parts man about that bolt. He handed me the exact same one & said it was normal.

Make sure to replace the crush washer otherwise you'll have a drip.

It's a T45 Torx bit. I bought a nice set at NAPA.

Last edited:

ZiggyMKVI

Ready to race!
That is the oem bolt. My 2013 has one of those. When I went to the dealer for some crush washers I asked the parts man about that bolt. He handed me the exact same one & said it was normal.

Ah my 2010 has a hex head bolt, not one like that. I have since gone to a ecs magnetic drain plug tho.

pdan

Ready to race!

It's a T45 Torx bit. I bought a nice set at NAPA.

Ahhh thanks a bunch. I too have an ecs plug I'll be replacing it with. On the way to get yet another torx bit ha

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Hey guys, I figured I'd check with someone before I did something stupid. Going to change the oil today, and saw it was a 19mm bolt online that needed to come out to change to oil. Go down, and where I thought the bolt is there was this

So am I being completely dumb and just missing something, sorry this is my first actual oil change ha.

It is a bolt but not the hex bolt you probably imagined. This is a T45 torx head. I think the mk5 is a hex I'm not positive on that. Either way if you own and do work on a mk6 a fine torx set is a must have along with a "triple square" set. Just be careful not to confuse torx with Allen as you may get it the first time but will eventually strip this head using the wrong tool. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask us all for questions bro!

pdan

Ready to race!
Soooooo went and bought a t45 and big surprise it doesn't fit. It's slightly too large. Does anyone know of a standard bolt that they would have used instead, otherwise I'm just gonna go out and try and buy a whole set

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
It's rather odd that a T45 doesn't fit yours. I just went out in the garage & checked again & yes it's a T45. The one in my pan was removed & reinstalled with the T45 & the spare on the garage shelf is also a T45. I'm at a real loss to explain why your T45 does not fit.

pdan

Ready to race!
So I have no idea why a t45 didn't really fit, but a t40 was too small. So what I ended up doing (for better or worse) was taking a hammer and I managed to hammer the torx into the bolt lol. It went in and I was able to get it out.

I have no idea why it didn't want to go in, there didn't seem to be any deposits or anything on the bolt head. Anyway got it out, changed the oil and replaced it with an ecs tuning drainplug, I feel a lot better now ha.

Thanks everyone for the help, should go much smoother next time

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Glad you got it done. The only thing I can think of is that the quality of your Torx bit is in question.