GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shuddering after driving through flooded street

KzooGerti

Passed Driver's Ed
In the pitch dark and pouring rain, I ended up driving through deeper water than I should have on Saturday night (we had 8" of rain on Saturday!). I've got the typical low RPM shuddering during acceleration, which I assume is a wet MAF and/or O2 sensor(s). No codes or CEL yet. My question is whether I should just let a few days go by to see if everything dries out, or assume that there is a more permanent problem and get it to my mechanic? Ironically, my mechanic is in an area that often floods, and I can't get to him right now even if I wanted to! Thanks everyone!

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I doubt there is serious damage. I'd wait a day or so & see if drying it out will help. Maybe pull the air filter & see if it's wet.

Pre95

Passed Driver's Ed
I doubt there is serious damage. I'd wait a day or so & see if drying it out will help. Maybe pull the air filter & see if it's wet.

This^ .. something got soaked and just needs to dry out. Under the car the o2 sensor connections are in a not-water-tight box to the right of the exhaust, might need to blow those out with some air (as they have funky connectors that might take awhile to dry out on their own).

Good luck!

KzooGerti

Passed Driver's Ed
I am due for a new air filter anyways, so I ordered one from Amazon along with an MAF cleaner spray. I don't have to drive much in the next few days. The delivery will be on Wednesday, and I'll have a rental car for work that whole day. I'll try the new air filter first. If that doesn't work, I'll clean/dry the MAF, and if that doesn't work I'll check the O2 connections under the car with the spray as well. Thanks!

KzooGerti

Passed Driver's Ed
I took a drive at lunch for a meeting, and it's already improving. I'm hoping it is just a wet/dirty air filter and the new one will make all the difference when it arrives on Wednesday. Thanks everyone!

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
Same thing happened to me except water got into my transmission housing and shredded my clutch disc...was undriveable the day after even though I got home fine that day

KzooGerti

Passed Driver's Ed
Same thing happened to me except water got into my transmission housing and shredded my clutch disc...was undriveable the day after even though I got home fine that day

Yikes! Sorry to hear it! The way it was acting at first I was a little concerned it was the transmission somehow. I’m glad it doesn’t seem to be the case.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
It would be almost impossible, except for driving directly into a lake (or like 2ft+ of water), for your air filter to get soaked/wet

It's high up, the air intake system isn't completely sealed, the hood blocks most of the air inlet, AND the air box has a drain hole (for water)

Last edited:

KzooGerti

Passed Driver's Ed
It would be almost impossible, except for driving directly into a lake (or like 2ft+ of water), for your air filter to get soaked/wet

It's high up, the air intake system isn't completely sealed, the hood blocks most of the air inlet, AND the air box has a drain hole (for water)

Thanks for the info. You could be right, but the water was pretty significant and I hit it pretty hard in the dark and rain. Could still be the MAF. I'll get the new air filter and MAF cleaner tomorrow and give them a try. No code still, which I think is good.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I had a similar thing happen to my MINI. Hit water in the dark & it was deep, water flew up onto the hood. The car stalled, I had fears of a hydro-locked engine. It did restart, & idle, but not take gas. Sat on the side of the road for a half hour or so with the engine idling. It then took gas & ran correctly. Once home I sprayed electrical connections with WD40 & removed the air filter to let it dry. That was not a GTI, but its air intake was high just like the one in the GTI.

KzooGerti

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a similar thing happen to my MINI. Hit water in the dark & it was deep, water flew up onto the hood. The car stalled, I had fears of a hydro-locked engine. It did restart, & idle, but not take gas. Sat on the side of the road for a half hour or so with the engine idling. It then took gas & ran correctly. Once home I sprayed electrical connections with WD40 & removed the air filter to let it dry. That was not a GTI, but its air intake was high just like the one in the GTI.

Scary stuff! Knock on wood, it is actually running just fine. I needed a new air filter anyways, so I'll replace that tomorrow. I'm really thankful that it seems like everything is ok. I may clean the MAF and other connectors too, but if it's running well I may just leave it alone.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Yes It can be pretty scary when you fly into some water you never even saw. Probably some water got into something on your GTI, but now it has dried out. I'm glad you are OK now.

KzooGerti

Passed Driver's Ed
The new air filter seems to have helped a lot. I may be paranoid, but there’s maybe a little more hesitation in some shifts at low speed, but it’s really minor and I’m sure it’s in my head. There’s also a slight “whined or “whistle” I can hear when the windows are down. Maybe the fan or serpentine belt? Maybe lose trim (although I looked underneath and don’t see anything)? Again, probably paranoid! I’m just thankful all seems pretty much back to normal!