GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

One month shy of 5 years ownership...first post on this forum

nasieg

Hi all,

I am a long time GTI owner. As a matter of fact the Mk1 was the second car I've owned and I had a couple of MK2's later also. Of course that was a long time, and because I always was a BMW die hard, I went with that brand for a couple of decades, until 5 years ago, when I realized that a dual purpose BMW 335 was too much of a compromise for a street/track car. So I decided to replace it with used M3 for the track and a new 2013 Mk6 GTI (DSG) for a DD.

The GTI has now 52k miles and I am still very happy with it. As a matter of fact, it is the car that I have owned the longest ever and even though I leased or owned 7 new BMW's, an Audi A4 and a WRX STI, I feel that for the money this is the best car I have ever owned.

So why have I never posted here before? Well, I really spend most of my time on the M3 forum because the e46 M3 is kind of my toy and the car that satisfy my modding bug if you will. I told myself that the GTI would remain stock, so that I can keep the resale value potential at its peak. That was until last week, when I hit a deer on my way to work. It wasn't totaled, nor did it do any structural damage. Never the less, it's a $9k repair job and I was secretly hoping the insurance would have totaled it........I already had my I on lightly used Golf R. Well no such luck. So now I wait a few weeks until I get my car back.

All that being said. Now that the pristine/stock factor is out the window, I think I want to at least do a stage 1 tune, or whatever makes sense, and get a little more fun out of this car. Without reading through tons of tune threads, what are my best choices? Is there a clear one, or like in most cases, multiple equivalents?

Any help is greatly appreciated and I hope to contribute whenever I can as well.

Last edited:

BlueE30

Ready to race!
From what I've learnt in my short time, the absolute best tune, although it will end up costing a bit more but you do get a lot more, is the stratified tune. The tune itself is, on paper, cheaper than a Unitronic or an APR tune however you need to buy the COBB Accessport. The COBB Accessport is an amazing tool to have for your car though, so like I mentioned, you get a lot more than just a tune with the AP.

That being said, I have an APR stage 1 tune and it's been fantastic for me. I've had it for 4+ years and my stock clutch has held just fine. That's the only engine performance part I have, it really wakes the car up and doesn't really affect reliability, especially since you're DSG. I've also heard the various DSG tunes are really amazing so I would personally budget for a DSG tune with the engine tune.

Good luck! If you have the mula for the COBB AP, get a custom stratified tune!

nasieg

From what I've learnt in my short time, the absolute best tune, although it will end up costing a bit more but you do get a lot more, is the stratified tune. The tune itself is, on paper, cheaper than a Unitronic or an APR tune however you need to buy the COBB Accessport. The COBB Accessport is an amazing tool to have for your car though, so like I mentioned, you get a lot more than just a tune with the AP.

That being said, I have an APR stage 1 tune and it's been fantastic for me. I've had it for 4+ years and my stock clutch has held just fine. That's the only engine performance part I have, it really wakes the car up and doesn't really affect reliability.

Good luck! If you have the mula for the COBB AP, get a custom stratified tune!

Thanks for your insight. So it sounds like the COBB is similar to what I have done on my M3. Where you get a based tune, then do some data logging, send it back, and then they fine tune it? Did I understand that correctly? I wonder if the cable and data logger I have would be the same for this car? If so, it could save the money on that.

BTW, your screen name suggests your a Bimmer guy also? :)

clownish

just clowning around
I really feel like the best tune when we're talking about basically canned tunes, even with a stratefied pro tune, is the tuner closest to you that you trust. That way any issues can be resolved relatively painlessly. Especially since this is a stage 1/2 tune and not anything too extreme. My APR k04 tune has been excellent and while I'm curious about Cobb or Eurodyne it's not really worth swapping when all the tunes are very similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frank5o

Passed Driver's Ed
I highly recommend going stage II if you can ( emmisions inspection). With a catless downpipe, the stock cat back sounds good.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

nasieg

I really feel like the best tune when we're talking about basically canned tunes, even with a stratefied pro tune, is the tuner closest to you that you trust. That way any issues can be resolved relatively painlessly. Especially since this is a stage 1/2 tune and not anything too extreme. My APR k04 tune has been excellent and while I'm curious about Cobb or Eurodyne it's not really worth swapping when all the tunes are very similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like there is an APR tuning place within 30 miles. Might go that option.
Although the COBB tune with logging might get a few more ponies out of the car, I feel the gains are minimal for the fine tuning. As I wrote before, I had this done on my e46 M3 and the final tune did almost nothing.

I highly recommend going stage II if you can ( emmisions inspection). With a catless downpipe, the stock cat back sounds good.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

In CA going Cat less is not an option, nor do I care to become a gross polluter :thumbdown:. Besides, I don't want to deal with the headaches, and realistically I won't keep the car more than 2 more years. With that in mind, I can justify spending ~$600 for a tune, to have a bit more fun while I own this car, but more would be probably a waste of money.

Ol' Man

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

I am a long time GTI owner. As a matter of fact the Mk1 was the second car I've owned and I had a couple of MK2's later also. Of course that was a long time, and because I always was a BMW die hard, I went with that brand for a couple of decades, until 5 years ago, when I realized that a dual purpose BMW 335 was too much of a compromise for a street/track car. So I decided to replace it with used M3 for the track and a new 2013 Mk6 GTI (DSG) for a DD.

The GTI has now 52k miles and I am still very happy with it. As a matter of fact, it is the car that I have owned the longest ever and even though I leased or owned 7 new BMW's, an Audi A4 and a WRX STI, I feel that for the money this is the best car I have ever owned.

So why have I never posted here before? Well, I really spend most of my time on the M3 forum because the e46 M3 is kind of my toy and the car that satisfy my modding bug if you will. I told myself that the GTI would remain stock, so that I can keep the resale value potential at its peak. That was until last week, when I hit a deer on my way to work. It wasn't totaled, nor did it do any structural damage. Never the less, it's a $9k repair job and I was secretly hoping the insurance would have totaled it........I already had my I on lightly used Golf R. Well no such luck. So now I wait a few weeks until I get my car back.

All that being said. Now that the pristine/stock factor is out the window, I think I want to at least do a stage 1 tune, or whatever makes sends, and get a little more fun out of this car. Without reading through tons of tune threads, what are my best choices? Is there a clear one, or like in most cases, multiple equivalents?

Any help is greatly appreciated and I hope to contribute whenever I can as well.
WOW! That looks exactly like mine, the 1st pic that is. The 2nd pic makes me cringe. I have been thinking of getting a Stage 1 tune also but the car has been so reliable I hate to mess with it. Also, at the age of 73, just not sure how much I need a tune. Mine is also a DSG but only has 23,000 miles on it. Hopefully yours will look as good as new when ya get it back.

nasieg

WOW! That looks exactly like mine, the 1st pic that is. The 2nd pic makes me cringe. I have been thinking of getting a Stage 1 tune also but the car has been so reliable I hate to mess with it. Also, at the age of 73, just not sure how much I need a tune. Mine is also a DSG but only has 23,000 miles on it. Hopefully yours will look as good as new when ya get it back.

Yep, it sucked, as I was planning on selling it for top dollar at some point in the next year or two. Not sure how much it will impact resale? The body shop that is fixing it is one of the best around and there is no structural damage. It should be as good as new afterwards, minus the rock chips on the hood......so at least there's that ;-)

I see go for the tune, now more than ever. You are never too old for more hp! :)

BlueE30

Ready to race!
Thanks for your insight. So it sounds like the COBB is similar to what I have done on my M3. Where you get a based tune, then do some data logging, send it back, and then they fine tune it? Did I understand that correctly? I wonder if the cable and data logger I have would be the same for this car? If so, it could save the money on that.

BTW, your screen name suggests your a Bimmer guy also? :)

As the APR dealer is relatively close to you, I say go that route! Mine has been completely issue free and really wakes the car up.

And yes, have an e30 turbo that is the more dedicated fun car over the GTI.

Your M3 sounds badass and a hoot to drive!

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
It sounds like you want the OEM+ options.
Stage 1 tune or stage 1+ if u have access to 93 octane. I'd go with the recommendation of a tuner that's closest to you.

With stage 1 you can generally just swipe ur cc and be done. However I'd at the very least get r8 red top coils and a better intercooler especially if u live somewhere that gets hot. The golf r ic is a nice upgrade comparable to the s3 ic and is a direct swap no extra bits needed.

Besides that good tires are always needed.

Some other upgrades to consider is 034 motorsports rear sway bar that is designed to be paired with stock front sway bar or H&R sways 22 rear and 26 front are popular for DDs if you want to go bigger as well as the 24/28 combo these claim to be maintenance free. Also I'd get 034 motorsports engine, tranny and dogbone mount to help reign in the extra power ur adding. As well a spring/strut combo would feel great with a bigger rsb. Or you could shell out for coilovers.

You could put in a cai but if you live anywhere where carb is a factor you're only real option is a p-flo which has a carb number and will pass inspection.

As you can see once u start it's a hole that's hard to get out of. I've got a butt ton of links in my build thread if u want to look.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

nasieg

As the APR dealer is relatively close to you, I say go that route! Mine has been completely issue free and really wakes the car up.

And yes, have an e30 turbo that is the more dedicated fun car over the GTI.

Your M3 sounds badass and a hoot to drive!

e30 turbo sounds bad ass as well. I had a E30 M3 with an S52 swap. That was my first dedicated track car, but because the S52 proved unreliable and the values of the e30 M3's kept going up, I ended up selling it for an offer too good to refuse. With the proceeds I easily bought a low mileage e46 M3 and had enough left over to do most of the mods I needed/wanted for the track. As it sits, I probably got $35-40k in to it and it's pretty clean 43k mile car. Almost too nice to track, but I'm OCD, so I wouldn't have it any other way ;-)

Got this originally along with the GTI:

Replaced it with this:

It sounds like you want the OEM+ options.
Stage 1 tune or stage 1+ if u have access to 93 octane. I'd go with the recommendation of a tuner that's closest to you.

With stage 1 you can generally just swipe ur cc and be done. However I'd at the very least get r8 red top coils and a better intercooler especially if u live somewhere that gets hot. The golf r ic is a nice upgrade comparable to the s3 ic and is a direct swap no extra bits needed.

Besides that good tires are always needed.

Some other upgrades to consider is 034 motorsports rear sway bar that is designed to be paired with stock front sway bar or H&R sways 22 rear and 26 front are popular for DDs if you want to go bigger as well as the 24/28 combo these claim to be maintenance free. Also I'd get 034 motorsports engine, tranny and dogbone mount to help reign in the extra power ur adding. As well a spring/strut combo would feel great with a bigger rsb. Or you could shell out for coilovers.

You could put in a cai but if you live anywhere where carb is a factor you're only real option is a p-flo which has a carb number and will pass inspection.

As you can see once u start it's a hole that's hard to get out of. I've got a butt ton of links in my build thread if u want to look.

I don't want to get in to the modding with this car. Just looking to unlock some of that hidden power.

Funny thing you mention 034. A track buddy of mine work there. He just texted me earlier today that he can hook me up on a tune from them. I assume that would be an equivalent tune to APR?

Last edited:

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
e30 turbo sounds bad ass as well. I had a E30 M3 with an S52 swap. That was my first dedicated track car, but because the S52 proved unreliable and the values of the e30 M3's kept going up, I ended up selling it for an offer too good to refuse. With the proceeds I easily bought a low mileage e46 M3 and had enough left over to do most of the mods I needed/wanted for the track. As it sits, I probably got $35-40k in to it and it's pretty clean 43k mile car. Almost too nice to track, but I'm OCD, so I wouldn't have it any other way ;-)

Got this originally along with the GTI:

Replaced it with this:

I don't want to get in to the modding with this car. Just looking to unlock some of that hidden power.

Funny thing you mention 034. A track buddy of mine work there. He just texted me earlier today that he can hook me up on a tune from them. I assume that would be an equivalent tune to APR?
Yes about 45 bhp and 70 ft lbs torque like any stage 1 tune. If you go that route I still recommend R8 red top coil pack at the very least else you might be prone to misfires.

034 motorsports offer tons of parts that are great and on my wishlist. Not sure about their tune but I'd trust it just from their track record with other parts they engineer.

nasieg

Yes about 45 bhp and 70 ft lbs torque like any stage 1 tune. If you go that route I still recommend R8 red top coil pack at the very least else you might be prone to misfires.

034 motorsports offer tons of parts that are great and on my wishlist. Not sure about their tune but I'd trust it just from their track record with other parts they engineer.

Good to know. Thanks for the input.

I guess with having a connection and possible access to good deals from 034, I might go with them. I totally had forgotten about them.

Last edited:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
In CA going Cat less is not an option, nor do I care to become a gross polluter :thumbdown:.
You can kindly Leave. Catless FTW lol JK.

If you go that route I still recommend R8 red top coil pack at the very least else you might be prone to misfires.
I x2 this for any tune get some R8 coils and change your sparkplugs too just for funsies.

nasieg

You can kindly Leave. Catless FTW lol JK.

I x2 this for any tune get some R8 coils and change your sparkplugs too just for funsies.

I called it "Gross polluter" for lack of better term. I am by no means a tree huger, but I do feel the need to run cats.

Sounds like the R8 coils are a must. Thanks for confirming that.