GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

awe downpipe vs other brand 3 in downpipe

siupo1281

Ready to race!
I am planning to buy a downpipe or tbe for my mk6. it seem like awe has the best of the deal, however it is only 2.5 in. I want to know will it make a big difference on performance or tuning? because like apr and unitronic ots tuning are base on 3 in pipe.

Pakman332

Ready to race!
I believe the claim is that the smaller diameter provides more low end torque than the other 3 inch options. Not sure how true it is, but it makes sense.

Sent from my Pocket Computer 6000

siupo1281

Ready to race!
thats what they claim too. and i talked to the vendor, he said it wont make a big difference because the car computer will adjust it itself. dont know if it true too.

spegheddy

Can an expert in fluid dynamics shed light on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Do you plan on going larger turbo than stock? k04/F23T? Stage 3 or custom?
Do you need a cat?

When you say AWE is the "best of the deal" what do you mean? From what i remember they are one of the most expensive

siupo1281

Ready to race!
i plan to go on k04 with catted. the vendor is selling about $1280 for awe tbe.

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
When you say "AWE has the best of the deal" what do you mean? It is catted, but there are other catted downpipes on the market that are cheaper.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i plan to go on k04 with catted. the vendor is selling about $1280 for awe tbe.

Anything above the stock turbo i would personally do a 3" downpipe and then let the catback tapper to 2.5"
Bigger turbo = more flow
More flow = bigger pipes(IMO) so not to build to much back pressure

I think the best combo is a 3" downpipe reduced to a 2.5" catback.

Yeah you can buy a lot of other turbo-backs for cheaper than that... that being said though AWE makes a solid product though

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
If he is offering you AWE turbo back for 1280 thats about $100-$160 off their website.

dAT_Sloth

Ready to race!
Anything above the stock turbo i would personally do a 3" downpipe and then let the catback tapper to 2.5"
Bigger turbo = more flow
More flow = bigger pipes(IMO) so not to build to much back pressure

I think the best combo is a 3" downpipe reduced to a 2.5" catback.

He's right though. The only down side to a 3" dp is the tq that is stolen from you in the low end. You'll notice it for a while...but the car will be noticeably more responsive as you build boost. There's a trade off for everything! :23:

phuccer1

Ready to race!

He's right though. The only down side to a 3" dp is the tq that is stolen from you in the low end. You'll notice it for a while...but the car will be noticeably more responsive as you build boost. There's a trade off for everything! :23:

So you are also recommending 2.5" dp for someone who intends to stay k03?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
So you are also recommending 2.5" dp for someone who intends to stay k03?

I mean you can do a 3" downpipe it isn't gonna be a huge difference down low but will open up on the top end compared to a 2.5".

Also if you are CCTA and dont care for a cat you can get a 3" downpipe for less than 200 shipped.

jedred1

jedred1
when I see this question I always send this link. Might be a bit dated now doe

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
when I see this question I always send this link. Might be a bit dated now doe
Pricing wise thats dated. And i think a few of those companies stopped selling. But sizes and whether or not it is mating to stock catback is still valuable info for people.