GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any common problems?

hifichip76

Hello. I am seriously considering buying a Golf R, having test driven it recently. I'm also looking at the WRX and a few other hot hatches.

I had a 2008 GTI that I loved. Now, we have a MS3 and a 350Z. Due to changing commutes, we can't get by with the Z on winter tires anymore.

Are their any common problems with the R?

My GTI and many others were unusually prone to tire bubbles. Anyone having that with the R?

How's the reliability?

Anyone else in New York?

Thanks!

illDub6

Ready to race!
just your everyday common VW problems ,

Deezz_Nuttz

What's a User Title?
saw your post on the other board, I've had zero problems with mine, and I drive a lot! I'm at 20k miles.
No major or minor issues at all, chipped since 1k miles, and currently on APR Stage 2. I do have to say though the WRX has better aftermarket support.
My bud has a '12 STI and he's at 12k running stage 2 tune, and has had a couple CEL's thrown at him and gone into limp mode a couple times. And there's always that ringland issue.
I think both are great cars, you can't go wrong with either.

hifichip76

saw your post on the other board, I've had zero problems with mine, and I drive a lot! I'm at 20k miles.
No major or minor issues at all, chipped since 1k miles, and currently on APR Stage 2. I do have to say though the WRX has better aftermarket support.
My bud has a '12 STI and he's at 12k running stage 2 tune, and has had a couple CEL's thrown at him and gone into limp mode a couple times. And there's always that ringland issue.
I think both are great cars, you can't go wrong with either.

Hi! Yeah, thanks.

I think, especially with the R, I'd leave it stock. I've done lots of aftermarket stuff on my Z, just to try to be happy with it. This time, I want the right car from day one.

What's ringland?

Deezz_Nuttz

What's a User Title?
Hi! Yeah, thanks.

I think, especially with the R, I'd leave it stock. I've done lots of aftermarket stuff on my Z, just to try to be happy with it. This time, I want the right car from day one.

What's ringland?

Apparently it's a common issue with the subbies, something about failing pistons? I'm not quite sure, but my buddy is terrified of it.

Also, I highly suggest at least getting it chipped. Stock, the R has been heavily neutered.

tman1

Ready to race!
Reliablity, I'd go with the WRX. If you want a luxurious ride, the Golf R.

Had a SUbaru Legacy for 5 years and wanted the Impreza STi, but the interior was shite compared to the GTI and the price was outrageous. If I had the choice back then, I'd go with the STI, but since I got the GTI, I''d pick the R and tune, not keep it stock.

r1eater

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a 2008 modded STI and I never ever had problems with that car. It was a great car and one of my fav cars I have owned. Having said that the R is just so much nicer than the STI. Side by side its not quite as fast but it doesnt feel slow either.

I also like that the R is very unassuming. It doesnt draw a lot of attention from non enthusiasts but car junkies really smile when they see it.

DummyBear

Ready to race!
there haven't been any major issues with R so far except for certain ppl having problem early (2-3k miles) with their clutches and it was replaced under warranty. as for the reinforced "FSI" engine goes, it doesn't seem like we are having any problems at all like the mk5 gti....

brett_duenas

Ready to race!
anyone have oddball tires?

I have 3 Pirelli's and 1 Bridgestone... I just noticed after about a month of ownership. Does anyone know if I can get them matched correctly (tire replaced) through the dealership? or do I have to bite the bullet/deal with it since I already accepted the vehicle?

DummyBear

Ready to race!
doesnt hurt to give ur dealer a call? or VWOA.

I have 3 Pirelli's and 1 Bridgestone... I just noticed after about a month of ownership. Does anyone know if I can get them matched correctly (tire replaced) through the dealership? or do I have to bite the bullet/deal with it since I already accepted the vehicle?

rj45

Passed Driver's Ed

Absolutely notify the dealer. Tires should not be mismatched because handling may be affected. VW will likely want to replace the non-matching Bridgestone tire asap.

brett_duenas

Ready to race!
Absolutely notify the dealer. Tires should not be mismatched because handling may be affected. VW will likely want to replace the non-matching Bridgestone tire asap.

Went to the dealer today during my lunch break. I showed them my oddball tire and they are going to replace it with a new one that matches tomorrow at 2:00pm!

:thumbsup: Larson VW of Tacoma!

purefx

Passed Driver's Ed
Seems like this water pump issue is affecting quite a few. Mine has no issues but I only have 1200 miles on it.

ATC2

Ready to race!
Hello. I am seriously considering buying a Golf R, having test driven it recently. I'm also looking at the WRX and a few other hot hatches.

I had a 2008 GTI that I loved. Now, we have a MS3 and a 350Z. Due to changing commutes, we can't get by with the Z on winter tires anymore.

Are their any common problems with the R?

My GTI and many others were unusually prone to tire bubbles. Anyone having that with the R?

How's the reliability?

Anyone else in New York?

Thanks!

So far they've had problems with:

Clutch, this is after upgrades if you tune it the factory clutch slips, needs upgrade.

Transmissions, something to do with the fly wheel.

Water pumps seem to be malfunctioning often, this one would concern me if I had an R, it can lead to other damage.