GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 07-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
JhnR
Banned

Drives: Lemon mk6 GTI
btw OP i want the same CBE...
JhnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #16
thez99
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Carbon Grey MKVII GTI 4-dr
I have a stock dp with the muffler middle section spm and track rear and the only time I hear any drone is at first start up around 2100 rpm. Otherwise on the highway she purrs in almost silence but really growls at WOT. Ideally I would also have the catted spm dp with the resonated J-pipe for the perfect opened up setup, just dont have the money atm.
Mods::: Modshack VDTA Intake Carbon pwdcoat ./. Apr Stage 1 fully loaded ./. SPM Custom Polished Full TBE ./. 18x8 et45 Alzor 621's (winter)./. 17x7.5 et42 Focal X's, Michelin PSS (summer) ./. NewSouth Ventpod Boost gauge ./. BFI 70a Torque arm insert ./. StopTech ST-41 BBK ./. ECS F-R swaybars ./. Unibrace red UB/XB ./. GFB DV+
thez99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #17
vwrabid
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 11' GTI 2 dr TR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball9298 View Post
Yes it does! Does it have 4" tips on it or 3"? I also assume it really opens up under WOT and is then very distinguishable over stock OEM?....

Love the feedback in this thread.

I just received my custom tbe. Still in the box for now. Install next week!
vwrabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #18
jmul54
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '13 CW GTI
No drone here. I run the highway everyday and even at 80 stays nice and quite. Nice growl to it in full WOT. Highly recommend!
Unitronics 1+ | CTS turbo intake | SPM street cat-back | NSP boost gauge | BC Racing coilovers | Whiteline rear sway | Yellow Lamin-X fogs | Vinyl wrapped roof, mirrors, and side markers | Ed's dark cherry led tails | Soundakator delete | Poor man's trunk pop | Various Vag coding | Nik's uber stealth sub and amp boxes
jmul54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #19
truuuuuuuuu
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 6SPD Shadow Blue GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
I have a stock dp with the muffler middle section spm and track rear and the only time I hear any drone is at first start up around 2100 rpm. Otherwise on the highway she purrs in almost silence but really growls at WOT. Ideally I would also have the catted spm dp with the resonated J-pipe for the perfect opened up setup, just dont have the money atm.
I'm sure that's a sick set up. I want to swap my street mid muffler for the track mid pipe and I think that would be sick too
Old 07-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
dbizzle22
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmikeyd View Post
Cruising anything below 70 mph you should be fine, going up a hill at 60 you will hear drone. More load = more drone. But doing normal driving meaning 0-50ish around town there is close to zero drone. Best of both worlds
Second this. If you're cruising along and not climbing a hill or accelerating, there is no drone. When it's under acceleration it will drone a bit.

I've also heard removing the resonated section of downpipe helps with the above. That idea seems backwards and even though the vendor support says its true .. This is something subjective and I'd want to hear it in person before investing more $

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
dbizzle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #21
project92raddoslc
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2016 GOLF R
No drone with my TBE

Service Writer--North Penn VW Colmar, PA
project92raddoslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #22
thez99
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Carbon Grey MKVII GTI 4-dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by truuuuuuuuu View Post
I'm sure that's a sick set up. I want to swap my street mid muffler for the track mid pipe and I think that would be sick too
All track would be pretty droney I would think. What i have with a resonated catted dp I think would rock. Just no monies
Mods::: Modshack VDTA Intake Carbon pwdcoat ./. Apr Stage 1 fully loaded ./. SPM Custom Polished Full TBE ./. 18x8 et45 Alzor 621's (winter)./. 17x7.5 et42 Focal X's, Michelin PSS (summer) ./. NewSouth Ventpod Boost gauge ./. BFI 70a Torque arm insert ./. StopTech ST-41 BBK ./. ECS F-R swaybars ./. Unibrace red UB/XB ./. GFB DV+
thez99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #23
VDuBNIT
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2017 GTI Autobahn LP/DA
Sound is subjective

In my opinion SPM makes one of the best sounding exhaust systems out there. Like I said, sound is subjective. I'm the guy who passed up a MS3 back in 2010 because the exhaust note at 60mph would have driven me crazy.

I'm alos the guy who finds this setup to have too much drone...no offence Erwen:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=229

Here is a clip of the SPM TBE:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=302
Old 07-29-2013, 02:31 AM   #24
McFuzz
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
I have the Street CBE but with a track j-pipe. I've done some tests at different RPM ranges in 5th and 6th gear, and aside from during acceleration, it's very subtle and civilized. Step on it, though, and it's like ass-n-titties blasting on full bass.
McFuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:48 AM   #25
VDuBNIT
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2017 GTI Autobahn LP/DA
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFuzz View Post
I have the Street CBE but with a track j-pipe. I've done some tests at different RPM ranges in 5th and 6th gear, and aside from during acceleration, it's very subtle and civilized. Step on it, though, and it's like ass-n-titties blasting on full bass.
Any video clips? I've got a UR with cat and resonator so I think the SPM will be perfect for what I like.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:12 AM   #26
McFuzz
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDuBNIT View Post
Any video clips? I've got a UR with cat and resonator so I think the SPM will be perfect for what I like.
Unfortunately I don't have an easy camera to do it with... I'll try with my little Samsung hand-cam...
McFuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:48 AM   #27
Hwcn
Oval Champion

Drives: 2015 Golf R
I have an SPM street turbo back exhaust. The drone on the highway is significant. I'm also K04.
Former K04 Member #51

IMPEACH OBAMA!
Hwcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #28
motodude310
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 gti dsg
Have the SPM track DP (catless) mated to stock catbacks. Stock noise except when you get on it. Cop free, and my 7 year old daughter tells me how much she "loves the sounds my car makes" lol. F*ck the tbe and make more power with the DP!!