GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 10-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
GTIAPR87
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI
CV Axle Bolts came loose...

So I lifted the car tonight planning on replacing the turbo pancake plastic pipe and BAM this appears before my eyes...4 of 6 the CV Joint bolts were just sitting there not even one thread in and the other 2 were threaded all the way in but loose enough to just turn by hand. I don't even want to think about what could have happened... there was heavy grease splatter on the guard and im sure I have lost a significant amount of grease within the joint itself. I know they sell rebuild kits for these, so I guess I have one more project added to the endless list...son of a...Anyone ever seen this? You can see the current list of mods in my signature
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CV JOINT 1.JPG (102.3 KB, 1472 views)
APR KO4 V3.1, APR TCU DQ250 V1.5, APR Carbonio Stg.1+2, APR IC, Fluidampr Pulley, Spulen Boost Pipe kit, Solo-werks Coilovers, BFI STG2 Motor and Trans Mounts, APR 27mm Rear Sway & H&R 28mm front sway bar, HPA Dog Bone Mount, Whiteline anti lift kit, Whiteline adjustable end links,Whiteline polyurethane control arm bushings, Tyrolsport Brake Kit, 18" RS4 Reps, Noise Pipe Delete, EuroJet Turboback Exhaust, NGK PFR7B, R8 Coil Packs
GTIAPR87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
DBESTGTI
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 Stage 2 GTI
That is not a significant amount of grease lost. Replace the bolts and retorque them, everything else is fine.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
Blaznjoe
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 MK6 GTI 2-D CSG
That sux dude! Have the CV axles been removed for any reason? New clutch or major DSG repairs? (Your sig doesn't tell us if you're DSG or Manual.)

Would be informative to know so the community is aware. Thanks!
GIAC Stage 2e40|SPM Street DP|SACHS Performance Coilovers|VOLK ZE40's|Neuspeed BBK,Pulley,P-Flo,TOP,FMIC,CBE,SS brakelines,& ShortShifter|Whiteline ALK|Hotchkis F & R Swaybars|Autotech Rotors|Hawk Pads|EuroSport X-Brace|TyrolSport DS SF C Kits|GFB DV+|SB.S2.SMFW|Wavetrac|Michelin PSS|Podi|ECS CatchCan www.kopropo.com/america/
Blaznjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:10 AM   #4
Fleron230
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Audi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaznjoe View Post
That sux dude! Have the CV axles been removed for any reason? New clutch or major DSG repairs? (Your sig doesn't tell us if you're DSG or Manual.)

If he's K04, he'd have an aftermarket clutch, so I assume DSG.
Fleron230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
GTIAPR87
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaznjoe View Post

First off yes I'm DSG. I actually had that whole cv axle and joint replaced when some asshole hit me a few months ago. So yes it has been removed and repaired and replaced with a brand new one. So could it have not been torqued down to specs or what could be the cause? I know this isn't a huge deal but I just want to know what would cause this to happen?

Maybe something else could be out of alignment or wrong somewhere else causing additional strain on the joint itself thus causing the bolts to brake free?

I'm really lost to what could cause this odd thing to happen? So any suggestions or help would be much appreciated. The car is not tracked, only pretty aggressive driving around town at times.
APR KO4 V3.1, APR TCU DQ250 V1.5, APR Carbonio Stg.1+2, APR IC, Fluidampr Pulley, Spulen Boost Pipe kit, Solo-werks Coilovers, BFI STG2 Motor and Trans Mounts, APR 27mm Rear Sway & H&R 28mm front sway bar, HPA Dog Bone Mount, Whiteline anti lift kit, Whiteline adjustable end links,Whiteline polyurethane control arm bushings, Tyrolsport Brake Kit, 18" RS4 Reps, Noise Pipe Delete, EuroJet Turboback Exhaust, NGK PFR7B, R8 Coil Packs
Old 10-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
Modshack
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: '13 Beetle TDi Conv., '14 C7 Chebby
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIAPR87 View Post
I actually had that whole cv axle and joint replaced when some asshole hit me a few months ago. So could it have not been torqued down to specs

/\ This....
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
2013R
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: 2015 Subaru WRX
not torqued properly, or brand new bolts were not used per requirement. also i would prob locktite mine if i ever changed them.
2013R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
Cryptic1911
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2008.5 GTI TSI
gotta torque those down good.. if a bolt comes out, the c clip swings out and acts as a blade and will smash a hole in your transmission case
2008.5 GTI 2.0 TSI 6MT / APR K04 V3.1, APR IC, CTS 3" turboback, Carbonio full intake, R8 coilpacks, PFR7B plugs @.028, GFB DV+, BSH TB pipe, SB Stg2 Endurance clutch, BSH mounts, DG Shortshifter, FFM bracket bushings, Forge big knob, Koni coils, Coolingmist CMGS Meth injection, USRT spacer (DO3 & Snow 100 nozzles), Centric rotors, Stoptech pads, TyrolSport bushings, 19" Miro stp3's
Cryptic1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
GTIAPR87
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013R View Post
not torqued properly, or brand new bolts were not used per requirement. also i would prob locktite mine if i ever changed them.
Yup, I agree completely. I think they used the same bolts.

So I went my local VW stealership and I go a manager to look at it with me and we both agreed that

1. It probably wast torqued to specs .

2. New bolts were not used with the replacement if the CV axle itself.

Resolution: they are going to replace the entire CV axle and bolts. I wasn't going to argue with that so I just agreed. I also got a $50 gift card out of the deal. Sweet!