GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 10-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #29
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: into shit
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk6medic View Post
Irregardless is not a word.

Boom, roasted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
Sorry but...lol I had to point that out
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGC75 View Post
I would summarize it this way. The motor is fundamentally very strong and takes power very well as others have said. But regardless of the power added, there are some weak points that fail intermittently. The water pump, intake manifold flappers, coil packs and the timing chain tensioner tend to fail. Only the last is catastrophic. The others require immediate attention but are $250, $250 and $80 to replace, respectively (and without installation, if that's your thing).
Eat me
XGC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #30
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by visceralsoup View Post
Your warranty stayed with a k04 swap?! I figured it'd be out of the question if I went that far!
Yep. Just have to find a dealer that isn't a doushebag. I've been good for 2/3 dealers.
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #31
visceralsoup
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 VW GTI (sold), 2012 Golf Arrrr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
yeah the clutch will need to be replaced for you at some point, but the engine is plenty durable - good oil, smart intervals - maintenance up to date - you will be fine.
Sounds good. Thanks.
visceralsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #32
GTI2.0
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI 6SM
I agree, because I beat the piss out of mine sometimes. Only had a cracked intake manifold replaced under warranty. I didn't even have a cel and my dealership just replaced it because they noticed it.
These engines do seem to be able to support a lot of hp. The weak part is the clutch. Many people have slip issues w/ only stage I. That is what I worry about the most.
GTI2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #33
zrickety
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
Quote:
Ive heard at 50k things go south with even a mild tune.
I don't know where you are finding this misinformation, the TSI is a good motor. There are some common problems, but regular maintenance mitigates most of them. I'm stage 1 at 80k, only the original intake manifold was replaced at 48k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #34
McQueen77
Banned

Drives: "We only make one thing..."
whole lot of nothing floating around on this thread. yeah great, DSG can take a whole lot more abuse, in theory, until it can't and the dealer laughs at you with your K04 or whatever and it costs you half the value of your car to replace that marvel of modern technology. for $1500 or so you can upgrade clutch, flywheel, etc. and hold whatever power you throw at it. if you notice, the majority of the videos APR posts testing stage2, k04, stage III etc. are on MT equipped cars. stock may not hold it but a relatively cheap upgrade will put down that power all day long. there are also guys on here who have had some major problems upgrading k04 and beyond.. the one guy who bent a rod comes to mind.. there are others.
McQueen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #35
FL_GTI
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_W View Post
Power with FWD car with shitty tires is a bitch. It's great that fortunately torque steer does not find us. I'm stage one and have trouble not spinning the tires around an easily manageable corner. I'm not saying I have the power that some of these K04, and Stage 3 guys have, but it goes to show how quickly you run upon the wall when you don't have appropriate tires.
This, Bender..

Honestly, when I was first tuned, I was baffled at the amount of power the car actually had and how easily it reached it's limitations on the factory Dunlop's. Just switched to Pilot Sport A/S 3 and what a world of difference.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #36
pjung23551
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: the black hole
Quote:
So I've been doing a bit of digging and I read that the 2.0T isn't a very tough motor when it comes to adding power. My question is what exactly is the weak point in the motor?
Ive been running a k04 for 35000 mi. Ive had a hpfp go out at 2000 mi, waterpump at 26000 and a 2 coilpacks. The car does sip oil, about a quart per 5000 mi. Beyond that im putting down 315 whp on cali 91 octane with giac. Ive ripped the car in the snow, in 115 degree nevada heat and ive had no issues really other than turbo lag. In my opinion this motor is very strong.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #37
rs999
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjung23551 View Post
Ive been running a k04 for 35000 mi. Ive had a hpfp go out at 2000 mi, waterpump at 26000 and a 2 coilpacks. The car does sip oil, about a quart per 5000 mi. Beyond that im putting down 315 whp on cali 91 octane with giac. Ive ripped the car in the snow, in 115 degree nevada heat and ive had no issues really other than turbo lag. In my opinion this motor is very strong.
25K miles on APR Stage 3, a few track days, and this car is my daily driver.

I must be an anomaly because I've had zero issues with the car after going Stage 3.

I guess I'm on good tires, Kumho Ecsta 4Xs, because I'm not having the bucking bronco/tire shredding issues that other GTI drivers have.

Also, I can't tell if I'm burning oil. I check my oil, air, and washer fluid monthly and sometimes I top off oil and sometimes I don't. And I use whatever 5w30 or 5w40 I can get at Wal-Mart.

In terms of fueling, I am on my 93 octane tune, and I fill up with whatever is convenient, WaWa 92 octane, 7-Eleven, Citgo, Shell, etc.

However, there is one thing that I do not do that other GTI owners do, I don't go to the dealer for anything.

All my maintenance, since 5k miles, has been done by the same shop, Europros Yorktown, who installed my Stage 3 kit, I've had them do all the 10K maintenance points, and occasionally I'll do the 5K oil changes with my Wal-Mart oil.