GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

wheel size

trueman

Passed Driver's Ed
hi all
first post for me
any opinions on 17" vs 18" on GTI
I am tending toward stock 17 Denvers but like the look of 18"detroits.
However I live and drive average roads so wondered if 17" is better. I am also getting ACC.

Thanks Fraser

jgs5607

Ready to race!
I have the 18" on mine and they can be a bit harsh at times, but not enough to bother me.

They are probably more responsive in turns due to the shorter sidewalls (all things being equal), but they are also easier to damage here in pothole land (my biggest concern)

Not sure about the weight difference between the 2, but more unsprung weight in general is harder to accelerate and to damp on rougher roads; if VW tuned the shock damping for the 18"s, that won't be a big issue and the ACC (which we can't get in the States) may also make that a non issue.

I did not order my car, so I did not give it a lot of thought, but the test drive did not lead me to believe that the 18's were something to avoid.

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
welcome aboard!

deciding factors:
handling: 18's > 17's
comfort: 17's > 18's
looks: detroits > denvers
money, now and when buying new tires: 18's are more $$$ than 17's
if you're interested in aftermarket rims, sell off the stock or wait for the tires to wear down, then get what you like after knowing the 17's handling.

trueman

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for great replies. I might get the stock 17 and see how I feel when the tyres need changing
Fraser