GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Auto Dimming Mirror Install with Homelink

Justinjor

Ready to race!
Ugh, so I got my kit in and tried installing it this weekend and cannot get the unit to receive constant power. I think my ground is bad. I tried sanding down that screw to give it a good connection but it's still screwing into plastic and does not give a good ground. The unit will come on, but the green light will just flicker.

How should it look when plugged in? solid green? Also, anytime I try and hit a homelink button, the green light goes out for a second, then flickers very rapidly.

Ugh, why can't this be easy. lol

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
Ugh, so I got my kit in and tried installing it this weekend and cannot get the unit to receive constant power. I think my ground is bad. I tried sanding down that screw to give it a good connection but it's still screwing into plastic and does not give a good ground. The unit will come on, but the green light will just flicker.

How should it look when plugged in? solid green? Also, anytime I try and hit a homelink button, the green light goes out for a second, then flickers very rapidly.

Ugh, why can't this be easy. lol

The unit will light up solid green when powered and red when homelink is activated. You may have the wrong screw. The one I tapped is a metal screw into metal. Be sure to sand the metal panel and not just the screw.

Justinjor

Ready to race!
The screw in the picture is going into plastic, isn't it? I don't see any other screws that resemble the one in your picture.

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
The screw in the picture is going into plastic, isn't it? I don't see any other screws that resemble the one in your picture.

Yes and no. The screw goes through the plastic and into metal. Make sure the metal makes contact with metal. Also pull the wire taught to the side of the screw to ensure the screw is in contact with rhe metal.

Justinjor

Ready to race!
I had my test light out and it showed a good ground there but for whatever reason, the mirror isn't getting good power. I'll have to take another stab at it tomorrow.

Justinjor

Ready to race!
Hey jb, It was a bad ground after all. I just borrowed dremel and power drill from the in-laws and bought a self-tapping sheet metal screw. 20 mins later, she's green and amber just like she should be :) Now I'm waiting for the black paint to dry(i should have done that yesterday but forgot) so I can button her back up. I did a test fit and it really looks nice. Thanks again :)

Justinjor

Ready to race!
Yep, to anyone doing this install yourself, I'd recommend just grinding off the paint next to that screw in the picture and throwing a self-tapping sheet metal screw up there. Just my $.02.

jaydub1

Passed Driver's Ed
I finally got my mirror installed and I thought I'd share a few pics of the V1 mount I used.

After installing the mirror based on the directions in this thread, I used these directions for the V1 install: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...wire-and-concealed-display&highlight=hardwire

I will tell you this: Getting the A pillar trim off and subsequently back on was a nightmare. I could be doing it wrong but it seems fairly straightforward and it took me nearly an hour just to get it back on. :mad:

It was worth it in the end though.