GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Issue

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
FFAC40 - finally someone who understands, thank you

For the rest of you, i'm in CT for school and work 9 months out of the year. Connecticut has LOTS of hills. If i drove the car in houston for its whole life i think the clutch would last 2x as long due to no hill starts.

Back to the question at hand though, are there any adjustments for the clutch?

FFAC

Ready to race!
I am not sure if it has something to do with where I live. In order to get to the nearest freeway, which I have to do every day, I have to go through 4 stop signs and 6 lights. It is terrible for mpg's but I don't think that should kill the clutch...should it?

Maybe the newness of the clutch just wore off and this is how it is supposed to be reelknead1. I am thinking of taking it to the dealership and having them take a look at it. Or maybe I just need someone to drive it and tell me to stop worrying...

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
I actually get honked at in Boston whenever I reach a stop sign.. cause I actually STOP and look both ways before I go :thumbsup:
maybe your problem is shifting into 2nd gear when you're close to a stop? I try to never let my rpms go lower than 1k in 2nd gear

FFAC

Ready to race!
I have to stop at every stop sign, in Pacific Beach there are cops everywhere just waiting to ruin someone's day. I start out in 1st every time and shift at about 2000 rpms into 2nd...does this sound right?

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
I am not sure if it has something to do with where I live. In order to get to the nearest freeway, which I have to do every day, I have to go through 4 stop signs and 6 lights. It is terrible for mpg's but I don't think that should kill the clutch...should it?

Maybe the newness of the clutch just wore off and this is how it is supposed to be reelknead1. I am thinking of taking it to the dealership and having them take a look at it. Or maybe I just need someone to drive it and tell me to stop worrying...

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. I just don't know if this is the way its supposed to be or if something is wrong. I guess I just worry about these things.

emkay5

Ready to race!
My car has just under 10k miles and my clutch makes a funky groaning/chewbacca noise starting in 1st. The VW tech heard it but doesn't know what the hell it is either. He did tell me that he's already replaced the clutch on a 2010 GTI that had even less mileage

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
My car has just under 10k miles and my clutch makes a funky groaning/chewbacca noise starting in 1st. The VW tech heard it but doesn't know what the hell it is either. He did tell me that he's already replaced the clutch on a 2010 GTI that had even less mileage

seriously?! :lol: make a video!

McQueen77

Banned
truth. Who in the US fuggin stops completely at a STOP sign?

i don't think i've stopped completely at a stop sign in my 18 years of driving. big fan of the 'california stop'

emkay5

Ready to race!
Its intermittent, but maybe I will let the GF drive it around and try to record it. It usually happens when you stop after driving hard, then start again in first

5thgear

I have read, not necessarily in relation to our cars but manual transmissions in general if your coming to nearly a stop that if your depressing the clutch to prevent it from stalling that it puts far more exertion on the pressure plate than it would if you threw it into neutral and then selected the appropriate gear. I am no expert on transmissions, but it may stand to reason that if this how you have been approaching a rolling stop that it may have put extra stress on the pressure plates than needed... I would try throwing it into neutral more for a while and see if it works anything out

5thgear

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. I just don't know if this is the way its supposed to be or if something is wrong. I guess I just worry about these things.

My previous car was a 2004 Mazda 3 and my daily drive was a lot like this and when I traded it in for the GTI the clutch was still going strong. It's all in how you drive the car... Someone who is just learning stick is liable the burn through a clutch... But if you have experience and are not and idiot and don't do heavy first gear pulls you clutch and transmission can last just as long as an automatic... The Mazda i traded in had 83,000 miles on it with the original clutch and transmission... And vw transmissions are generally strong. My mother bought one of the first new turbo beetles when the came out, she still has the car and hasn't had any transmission problems and it has 120,000 miles on it... By the way it's for sale, lime green turbo if anyone is interested lol:w00t:

emkay5

Ready to race!
I have read, not necessarily in relation to our cars but manual transmissions in general if your coming to nearly a stop that if your depressing the clutch to prevent it from stalling that it puts far more exertion on the pressure plate than it would if you threw it into neutral and then selected the appropriate gear. I am no expert on transmissions, but it may stand to reason that if this how you have been approaching a rolling stop that it may have put extra stress on the pressure plates than needed... I would try throwing it into neutral more for a while and see if it works anything out

True story, I've just started paying a lot more attention to actually putting the car in neutral and not just standing on the clutch. I read that doing so is a lot less hard on the clutch for the reason you stated :thumbsup:

McQueen77

Banned
True story, I've just started paying a lot more attention to actually putting the car in neutral and not just standing on the clutch. I read that doing so is a lot less hard on the clutch for the reason you stated :thumbsup:

Yeah, good rule of thumb. Have done that for years and years and have never replaced a clutch on any of my cars, the last of which was a toyota tacoma that had over 100k on the original.

x_paradoxal_x

Ready to race!

The way I was taught to drive manual was to keep off the clutch as much as possible unless you are shifting gears. Don't roll around with the clutch depressed, but don't throw it into neutral early and coast up to a stop. I usually let the engine slow down in 4th, depress the clutch at 20-25mph (before any engine lugging), then smoothly stop, then shift to neutral and wait. I was taught that as long as you do that your clutch will be fine. I never, ever wait in first. Even in stop and go motorway traffic I try to keep it in neutral and coast. All of my friends who I have known that drive manual, keep their foot planted on the clutch, in 1st at lights or when stopped. I tried to tell them, but habits are hard to break. My friend who was thought he was really cool at driving manual, didn't drive it properly, and good god, that clutch/transmission is horrible.