GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Technical Understanding of the IHI (Why does my Power FALL off?)

Peteriroc

Ready to race!
cant help with pictures, i just remember it because i was having my Skoda Yeti mapped at MTM Taiwan and they had tons of MK5 gti K03 turbos that were broken and there was a MK6 gti which was having a K04 swap installed, thats how i saw the IHI.

Ok Smelly :thumbsup:

Don´t worry, little by little we´ll see more IHI upgrades to K04, Garrets...etc...someone could take a pic for us :w00t:

Charlie22911

Ready to race!
Ok Smelly :thumbsup:

Don´t worry, little by little we´ll see more IHI upgrades to K04, Garrets...etc...someone could take a pic for us :w00t:

Today is the first I have heard of IHI, when did people find out that the TSI uses IHI and not ko3?

I have my old turbo that I can snap pics of as soon as I get back from deployment. Right now the only photos I have of it are a side by side shot with my new ko4 but will have to post that once I get to MWR if you wish (Military network blocks photobucket among other things :mad0259:).

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
When the TSIs first came out there was a lot of speculation as to power delivery. The TSI has more midrange power and yet died even more so than the FSI after 5.5K RPM. Once Big turbo guys came into the scene they began noticing the differences in turbos and eventually just put two and two together.

I'll take pictures of the two turbos side by side tomorrow during my K04 install.

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
Today is the first I have heard of IHI, when did people find out that the TSI uses IHI and not ko3?

I have my old turbo that I can snap pics of as soon as I get back from deployment. Right now the only photos I have of it are a side by side shot with my new ko4 but will have to post that once I get to MWR if you wish (Military network blocks photobucket among other things :mad0259:).

Looking at the compressor side of the turbo just visible begin the heat shield near the oil dipstick you can make out the lettering IHI on the aluminum casting.

Peteriroc

Ready to race!
When the TSIs first came out there was a lot of speculation as to power delivery. The TSI has more midrange power and yet died even more so than the FSI after 5.5K RPM. Once Big turbo guys came into the scene they began noticing the differences in turbos and eventually just put two and two together.

I'll take pictures of the two turbos side by side tomorrow during my K04 install.

It could be great if you can take pics of both turbos: IHI vs K04 in order to compare them.

Having a k03 in my hands (see pic attached in this thread), I´d expected a bigger turbine than IHI, right now I could not firmly say what turbo is bigger, I would say at least they are the same, in terms of turbine size.

I agree the TSI has better midrange torque due to a better HPFP, but I also think the TSI has a better TOP END than the FSI. Confirmed in the dyno and road.

Anyway in almost every rpm range IHI flows 0,1 bars less than the k03 but performs better in terms of whp, that could means two things: a better engine managament EA888 > EA133 or a bigger turbo IHI > K03, more power with less air flow.

Regards :w00t:

Charlie22911

Ready to race!

Haha, this is what happens when you fall out of the loop :thumbdown:.
I don't have any detailed photos of the two, just one of the two sorta hanging out :rolleyes:
Looking forward to a detailed comparison of the two.

Looking at the compressor side of the turbo just visible begin the heat shield near the oil dipstick you can make out the lettering IHI on the aluminum casting.

To be honest I never paid much attention to it during its short marriage to my motor, I had all the APR\ko4 goodies within 1K miles :iono:.

It could be great if you can take pics of both turbos: IHI vs K04 in order to compare them.

Having a k03 in my hands (see pic attached in this thread), I´d expected a bigger turbine than IHI, right now I could not firmly say what turbo is bigger, I would say at least they are the same, in terms of turbine size.

I agree the TSI has better midrange torque due to a better HPFP, but I also think the TSI has a better TOP END than the FSI. Confirmed in the dyno and road.

Anyway in almost every rpm range IHI flows 0,1 bars less than the k03 but performs better in terms of whp, that could means two things: a better engine managament EA888 > EA133 or a bigger turbo IHI > K03, more power with less air flow.

Regards :w00t:

Someone with a MK5, MK6 and some ingenuity should bolt up the ko3 and IHI and do dyno pulls with each turbo on each car in the name of science; practicality be damned :bonk:.
Maybe it's a little crazy but it would make one hell of an interesting read.

:yikes:

Peteriroc

Ready to race!
Someone with a MK5, MK6 and some ingenuity should bolt up the ko3 and IHI and do dyno pulls with each turbo on each car in the name of science; practicality be damned :bonk:.
Maybe it's a little crazy but it would make one hell of an interesting read.
:yikes:

Jaja Ok, we are discussing here the performance of the IHI Turbo.

Do you have any tech data about it? We´d appreciate it.

Regards :thumbsup:

Charlie22911

Ready to race!
Jaja Ok, we are discussing here the performance of the IHI Turbo.

Do you have any tech data about it? We´d appreciate it.

Regards :thumbsup:

I'm afraid that from my present location I can only post this pic and assume the role of a spectator... :(

It's a crappy cellphone shot but maybe it can give something to look over while awaiting much better photos.

Peteriroc

Ready to race!
I'm afraid that from my present location I can only post this pic and assume the role of a spectator... :(

It's a crappy cellphone shot but maybe it can give something to look over while awaiting much better photos.

Thanks man :w00t:

I assume is your old IHI vs APR K04??

It´s clearly larger the K04 :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Deaks2

Ready to race!
Without the compressor maps this entire conversation is useless. The newer turbo is similar to the IHI units in modern Subaru's, good mid-range with moderate spool, but they fall flat up top.

Peteriroc

Ready to race!
Without the compressor maps this entire conversation is useless. The newer turbo is similar to the IHI units in modern Subaru's, good mid-range with moderate spool, but they fall flat up top.

The OP post it the compressor maps at the beginning of this tread...

After my last tests I think the k03 and the IHI are almost the same...I will update this info with some data not only opinions....:w00t:

You are right IHI is a mid-range turbo :thumbsup:

Regards Deaks

Peteriroc

Ready to race!
Thanks Arin......GREAT APR INFO!!!!!

I´ve looking for this info long time ago :happyanim:

Borg Warner K04 Compressor Wheel:
Inducer: 46.32 mm
Exducer: 59.57 mm
Big Blades: 6
Small Blades: 6
Construction: Machined

IHI K03 Compressor Wheel:
Inducer: 39.27 mm
Exducer: 52.50 mm
Big Blades: 6
Small Blades: 6
Construction: Cast

Borg Warner K04 Turbine Wheel:
Inducer: 49.94 mm
Exducer: 44.40 mm
Blades: 12

IHI K03 Turbine Wheel:
Inducer: Didn't measure
Exducer: Didn't measure
Blades: 7

Source: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...4-A5-amp-Q5-S3-K04-Turbocharger-System!/page4 -alegria

Deaks2

Ready to race!
The OP post it the compressor maps at the beginning of this tread...

After my last tests I think the k03 and the IHI are almost the same...I will update this info with some data not only opinions....:w00t:

You are right IHI is a mid-range turbo :thumbsup:

Regards Deaks
Apologies, at work the images do not show up. Damn you Internet filters!