GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone Install an OEM K04 (Golf R/S3)? (Not a kit turbo)

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys,

I have been doing some research on the possibility of installing an OEM K04 from a Golf R/S3 onto our cars. There is a lot of conflicting information on whether or not it will fit or not.

APR takes an OEM K04 and machines off the welded DV port, removes turbo muffler, and provides a cut port cover.

Diverter valve: this can be relocated without any issues; going around the machined port. I don't believe there are any negative implications of this aside from more plumbing and potential cause of leak if you install it incorrectly. I do think there are advantages to it, but I am still researching that.

Turbo muffler: it appears as though this needs to be hacked off to fit on the block. All indications point to this. HPA, APR, AWE, and CTS all remove the turbo muffler and fabricate a new 2.5" flange.

From HPA:
We also remove the turbo muffler to accomodate an HPA designed CNC machined fitting allowing the outlet pipe of the turbo to be rotated to clear the block, and to increase airflow out of the unit. This has the added side effect of a less muffled and smoother air stream exiting the turbo.

PCV Port cover: this needs to be blocked off as its not needed on the TSI motor.

Aside from replacement hardware, and oil/coolant, you will also need to source a silicone hose that attaches to the turbo outlet. APR provides one of these for you in the kit. Don't forget hose clamps to go with that.

I just wanted to get a discussion going to see if anyone has done this and how these difficulties were delt with.

Please do not come in here and say, "just buy APR's kit and be done with it." I am trying to explore other options.

Helpful Links:
*PDF on coolant configuration for the K04
*APR Stage 3 (stock) removal & install instructions - Worth noting they remove the turbo from the bottom which requires the drive shaft to be removed. All other guides suggest the top.

Last edited:

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
the turbo muffler has to be cut off, it hits the head /block apparently

Le Clue

Passed Driver's Ed
Here in South Africa a lot of guys are running the OEM K04 from a Golf R/S3.

The muffler is removed and a straight piece welded on (this allows it to clear the head) and also the PCV inlet is blocked off. Then the DV is relocated using either the OEM DV relocation kit or a Forge DV relocation kit.

It works out a lot cheaper & has the same performance as the APR/REVO K04's

I'm installing mine this weekend :)

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
..."apparently" killed it for me. Does the R K04 have a turbo muffler?

Looks like the golf r/s3 turbo has a muffler

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
Yes they absolutely have a turbo muffler. I don't know why so many people keep asking this same question lately, but ALL the tuners cut them off, and so do all the diy'ers. The above picture is technically correct, but it's an A4 turbo, so the outlet/muffler is in a different orientation

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Here in South Africa a lot of guys are running the OEM K04 from a Golf R/S3.

The muffler is removed and a straight piece welded on (this allows it to clear the head) and also the PCV inlet is blocked off. Then the DV is relocated using either the OEM DV relocation kit or a Forge DV relocation kit.

It works out a lot cheaper & has the same performance as the APR/REVO K04's

I'm installing mine this weekend :)

Perfect. That is what I was looking for. Could you elaborate more on the modifications needed? Can you remove the muffler w/o cutting? Do you weld on any type of metal fitting that you can attach a hose to?

How are you going to block the PCV inlet?

Regarding the DV relocation kit, I don't see one from Forge that is for the 2.0t. AWE has a relocation kit, but I am considering going a custom route.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Perfect. That is what I was looking for. Could you elaborate more on the modifications needed? Can you remove the muffler w/o cutting? Do you weld on any type of metal fitting that you can attach a hose to?

Regarding the DV relocation kit, I don't see one from Forge that is for the 2.0t. AWE has a relocation kit, but I am considering going a custom route.

IE sells the pcv block off plate. Muffler needs to be cut because it's the housing so to speak that won't clear. You are better off going custom for the dv relocate imo. There are threads on here that tell you everything that you need to buy and what to do with them. Basically just a piece of tubing needs to be welded on to extend it so the boost hose can be installed over it which is 2" if I remember right.

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion

There isn't any more to elaborate on.

Cut muffler off, weld on an outlet that will work with the stock TOP.
Block off PCV
Setup DV (relocate or machine a spot for it)

You can find very detailed information as to how APR achieves these three things if you just search. You can even find a picture of a k04 with a different outlet welded on, to show you exactly what you need to achieve.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Great, so I can source the block off from IE, thank you sir.

Does anyone know what size the turbo outlet pipe is? As long as something needs to get welded on, I wonder what's the cleanest way to do this.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Found out outlet is 2.5" -- same w/ intake side.

The muffler looks a little bit different in this pic of the R K04:

It doesn't look as bulky as the one pictured from APR. Wonder if it will fit.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Great, so I can source the block off from IE, thank you sir.

Does anyone know what size the turbo outlet pipe is? As long as something needs to get welded on, I wonder what's the cleanest way to do this.

wizz wheel if you are good with them band saw could work people like cutting with a grinder but I'm not good with the grinder a sawzall could work anything that cuts metal just use what ever you are most comfortable with.

Le Clue

Passed Driver's Ed
Like the guys said just search you'll see how it gets completely cut off.

I bought mine already machined to fit the TSI, and PCV already blocked off. And I have a 90 degree silicone bend which will attach to a Neuspeed discharge pipe for K04.

I have a Forge DV relocate pipe (That will run from a Pipercross stage 2 inatke pipe with DV bung) over the motor to the throttle pipe. From there I'm I'm using OEM VW parts (My DV, the DV holder and another small silicone pipe that goes to the throttle pipe) and the DV wiring harness will be rerouted from the original location through the coilpack wiring harness to the front of the motor so no cutting or splicing.

On REVO 3 on 95ron we are getting 330whp and 520nm on the wheels.

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
just make sure you separate the compressor housing from the center section before you cut that off.. you don't want aluminum jiblets in the impeller