GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Younger GTI owners car payments

Veejster

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought my TDI right out of college at 23 and the stupidly traded it in after 7 months on a brand new GTI. I've had my car for a year now and I don't regret it as I love my GTI, but would not do it again. I had phenomenal credit at the time by paying off my credit cards in full and having a previous car payment when I turned 18, so I got near 0%. I had to put down another $2k out of savings to break even in the trade.

To the OP, won't moving from a 1.4tsi to a GTI also cause you to switch insurance groups? When I lived in the UK for a few years, this seemed to be a common concern. If there are added cost, this may be something to keep in mind.

ColesMk6

Ready to race!
I got my gti when i was 21(only 22 now) 2.99% with a cosigner and myself as the primary. I traded in a 2012 colorado for a 2013 gti. I've always made all my own payments, insurance, mods myself. Im very lucky to have a good job at such a young age and now be on my 5th vehicle and 2nd brand new car but im married to the gti for now but i enjoy every moment im driving it

jorlay

Passed Driver's Ed
When I read this thread's title, I was curious...
I come in and now I feel like I shouldn't be driving this car anymore... LOL damn i feel old.

If you're going to be paying for everything yourself including insurance, then my advice to you is get an older model. If the mk6 is your dream car and you know you'll keep it for a long time. Then go get a CPO and bargain the hell out of it... don't mod it until you get you at least have 5g saved up (for repairs).
My first car was a TSX and it wasn't my favorite car. It was automatic, fully loaded. The car maxxed out my budget. It wasn't long until I started modding it. Dumped 8g on it thinking I'd be satisfied with it. I loved how it looked but it just didn't work. I kept giving my excuses to change cars and within 2 years i sold it. I lost a ton of money which I could have used towards my next car.

At the end of the day, what I'm trying to say is... if you're doubting yourself on whether you can afford the payments, you probably can't or money will be mad tight. Take a step back and reassess how much you like the car. We're all car enthusiasts, there will always be new cars coming out every year that will tempt you in selling your car. Make sure you're more than satisfied with the speed / looks. If you love the shit out of it, bargain the hell out of it and save up a reserve for repairs when your mods kick in. Otherwise, if the car is only going to be a stepping stone and your "realisitic" dream car is not the mk6 gti, then just go with an older model or look for something else.
You'll thank me later.

afctom

Ready to race!
When I read this thread's title, I was curious...
I come in and now I feel like I shouldn't be driving this car anymore... LOL damn i feel old.

If you're going to be paying for everything yourself including insurance, then my advice to you is get an older model. If the mk6 is your dream car and you know you'll keep it for a long time. Then go get a CPO and bargain the hell out of it... don't mod it until you get you at least have 5g saved up (for repairs).
My first car was a TSX and it wasn't my favorite car. It was automatic, fully loaded. The car maxxed out my budget. It wasn't long until I started modding it. Dumped 8g on it thinking I'd be satisfied with it. I loved how it looked but it just didn't work. I kept giving my excuses to change cars and within 2 years i sold it. I lost a ton of money which I could have used towards my next car.

At the end of the day, what I'm trying to say is... if you're doubting yourself on whether you can afford the payments, you probably can't or money will be mad tight. Take a step back and reassess how much you like the car. We're all car enthusiasts, there will always be new cars coming out every year that will tempt you in selling your car. Make sure you're more than satisfied with the speed / looks. If you love the shit out of it, bargain the hell out of it and save up a reserve for repairs when your mods kick in. Otherwise, if the car is only going to be a stepping stone and your "realisitic" dream car is not the mk6 gti, then just go with an older model or look for something else.
You'll thank me later.

Thanks for the advice mate but the thread wasn't really meant to tail off into a 'can I afford it' type of thing. I'll be spending less than 25% of my part time income on the monthly payment/insurance so thats not a problem. I was just wondering how VW consider younger owners for finance and how the people of a similar age to me on here sorted out their purchase, whether it be through VW or parents. Cheers though

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
I'm 24 and I have 2 GTI's

mk5-367
mk6-392

needless to say, I work for what I want.

VicerRocks

Passed Driver's Ed
im 32, my first VW was a 92 mk2 golf....that i paid 500 cash for, engine seized 3 weeks later....got a 91 golf for 300 bucks...dumped motors in it and finally I got fed up with the BS....so i went and bought a MK4 with my dad as a cosigner...got hit with 7.24 apr ( for 2001 its not horrible and I had great credit then. I was 20 at the time) paid that car off 2 years early...now im am in a MK6 GTI Lease...no money down and great payment....(will be keeping the car) always had to pay my own insurance (high risk) and always my own gas....I always wanted a GTI and it took me almost 10 years to actually get it....sometimes you have to settle in the present to eventually get what you really want in the long run....

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
You saved 27gs? by 17? Ballin

Worked very hard. Saved when others were buying Beats headphones. I have an eBay business, detailing, all sorts of stuff I'm doing. Trust me; it's possible. I still had a life while doing it too.

afctom

Ready to race!
Worked very hard. Saved when others were buying Beats headphones. I have an eBay business, detailing, all sorts of stuff I'm doing. Trust me; it's possible. I still had a life while doing it too.

Damn saving 27k over a few years is impressive for a full time worker in a well paid job let alone a <17 year old. Fair play

zrickety

The Fixer
It's easier to save up living with your parents. That said, this car would be out of my league at 17. I'm 38 and still making payments on the 09...

Krog29

Ready to race!

^ This! I was 13 when I took over my brothers neighborhood business of cutting grass, racking and shoveling snow for 5 houses... First car was a 1990 Jeep YJ (paid in cash and I still have it. :D) Did that plus worked at a golf course and a manufacturing company and full time athletics till I was 19 then joined the military. Hard work pays off...

When I was 15 my dad brought me to a credit union got a personal loan and put it right back into the account so I could build credit.

I'm in the 790 range for credit (27 yrs old now). Should have seen the guys face when I walked in to get my car. The dealership wanted 3.5% for 60. Still went through my credit union though at 1.9%.

Azninvasion542

Ready to race!
Parents. Under the agreement that it is considered a family car until I go to my dad with the orange book value of the car. So my parents can drive it whenever they want.

phant0m

Ready to race!
Traded in my 2008 Mazda3, put a LARGE chunk of money down and financed the rest through my credit union. Got a $5000, 5 year loan at 1.9%apr. I've been working part time since i was 14 (21 now) so i had a decent amount of cash to put down. I didn't HAVE to take out the loan, I just figured I'd start building credit; plus it'll leave me some spare change for mod money. :)

phant0m

Ready to race!
Actually just bought a magnaflow exhaust with some of that leftover money. It's sitting on my doorstep but I have class for another few hours :'( it's getting installed tomorrow! :p