GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driver Gear springs + Koni Yellow Review

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Well I'm not sure where to begin other than holly shit this is the best setup you could ever run! So before I dive in, a little back story on my scenario for deciding to go with this setup.

This car is my daily driver and I originally was all stock for suspension parts. I live in Michigan and the roads are absolutely terrible. Noticed my front struts starting to leak just before 80k and decided it was time. I wanted something a bit firmer than stock, and slightly lower so those gaps in the wheel wells would get filled up just a bit. We get lots of snow here and have lots of bumps and holes so I didn't want to go too low. After much research, I found the Koni yellows to be the perfect choice for me. The adjustable dampening and the reliability of these konis was enough to sell me, and then ecs had them on sale so it was a done deal.

Next was the springs. Suspension was all new to me so I looked around a lot for something that won't make me drag thru the snow or bottom out on a speed bump, but would lower me just enough to tickle me right. Noticed lots of talk about these "DG" springs, and after some research, ordered these on ecs, also on sale.

So before installing the rear shocks, I set them to 1/2 turn from the softest setting. Fronts were set initially to 1/2 from softest setting as well. After some driving around and hitting the rough roads and winding turns, I felt the fronts could benefit from being a bit firmer. Went from 1/2 turn from softest to 1 full turn from softest. This was a bit too stiff. The car would really shake when hitting a bump in the road and didn't feel quite right. So I dialed it back a bit and have been running the last 700 miles on 3/4 turn form the softest setting on the fronts. This is the best setting so far I have found for my driving conditions. I mostly drive in the city with small amounts of highway mixed in, and this seems to perform well in both scenarios. If I could, I'd tighten the rears to 3/4 turn from softest also, but I'm not that unhappy with how they ride at 1/2 from softest enough to take them off and readjust them

Now for how the ride feels. Its like riding along on a cloud. Bumps and patches feel like nothing now. I can feel the car ride over them, but the feedback the car gets from the undulations is very minimal compared to stock. The car doesn't get that bounciness it used to when hitting several bumps in a row either. Also, body roll has significantly decreased. I did replace the sway bar links, but am still on oem sway bars. I don't know what else to say about this setup other than it was absolutely well worth the investment, and I encourage anyone who is looking at this setup to just do it. You will not regret it!

Pics to come!

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
How much do the DG springs end up lowering the car? What size tires are you running on that setup? I'm considering this setup as well but would like to run at least 235s on 18x8 ET45 wheels.

kerp

Ready to race!
I've been thinking about running this exact set-up. Have a brand new set tires so I may do it all at once. Did you DIY the install?

kbrett11

Ready to race!
How much do the DG springs end up lowering the car? What size tires are you running on that setup? I'm considering this setup as well but would like to run at least 235s on 18x8 ET45 wheels.

Springs lowered me about 1". Very nice amount of drop but not too much for a static setup. Tires are stock size. I believe 225 but I'll check in a minute when I leave the house lol. My wheel size is 18x8.5 ET 43 and I have no rub. Fits like a dream

kbrett11

Ready to race!
I've been thinking about running this exact set-up. Have a brand new set tires so I may do it all at once. Did you DIY the install?

Yes I did the install myself with a friend who has worked on cars midriff his life. I'm fairly new to the DIY car world but it still was a fairly simple install.