GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Timing Chain Tensioner issue? (P0011, P0300, P052A)

Pooley

Ready to race!
Dealer advised the screen on the camshaft broke in half and they couldn't find the screen so the verdict is this:

Replace Cam Shaft Cam Bridge, Tensioners, Timing Covers & Timing Chains. Quoted $4200... :(

I'm debating of having them fix it or possibly doing an engine swap....

$4200 to just replace those items, so that much to change out the timing chains and cam bridge? If so that's about $2000 too high even with the cost of a cam bridge factored in. There must be something extra they planned to do in that quote (I hope). That quote is closer to the cost of a head swap than a chain job.

Replacing chains and guides aren't much extra work over a standard tensioner replacement job and you need to remove the cam bridge to change the chains. I just did my chains recently and luckily found my cam bridge screen stuck against the side of the cylinder head. It's a tiny piece of screen. The attached photos show how small it is and the arrow points to where I found it on the head. I didn't realize it was there when I took the photo so it's not very clear. I chose to break the rest of the screen out of the cam bridge and reinstall the old bridge since they're known to pop them even after short mileage and that bit of screen floating around can lead to other issues. A new cam bridge costs over $200 online and has the same screen design as before, so I skipped it.

My concern would be how it lost 3+ quarts in 5kmi. If it wasn't from an obvious gasket leak then you may want to look into having a private shop swap in a used engine instead. Just have them check the used engine for the updated tensioner through the lower timing cover inspection hole or have them install an updated tensioner and a fresh rear main seal in the replacement engine before installation if you go that route.

Roctre

Ready to race!
This really makes me wanna get mine done asap. I've got a 2011 with 76k miles on it. Think I'm gonna have mine done when it's time for my next oil change....

Thats funny we both have a 2011 with 76k and i'm getting my tensioner replaced in a couple months for piece of mind since im keeping this car for awhile.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Thats funny we both have a 2011 with 76k and i'm getting my tensioner replaced in a couple months for piece of mind since im keeping this car for awhile.

Amennnnn. Now what I'm struggling with is if I should have the chains and guides replaced while I'm in there... most seem to say yes, just do it. But I'm thinking that chains/guides/tensioner would be a heavy bill to swallow (1500 or so) but I guess that's better than needing a new engine.

If I were to change out everything..... when should I do it all over again? Another 100k miles if I keep it that long? I do plan on hitting 200k with it... hopefully

Pooley

Ready to race!
I see why it's so expensive now, they want to replace everything that that the cam bridge screen could've gotten lodged into. So that means the cam bridge, intake cam, and the special bolt on the end of the intake cam. By opening the cam bridge for the cam replacement they also need the special VW sealant which is crazy expensive. So much added cost and labor to chase down bits of cam bridge screen.

This is an odd one- part 06H103269H which is the upper timing chain cover. That isn't typically replaced since it has a removable gasket that can be purchased independently. Never heard anyone mention a need to replace this before unless they somehow damaged it when they removed it to diagnose the problem. Considering that's about $200 ($135 online) compared to $10 for the gasket (06H-103-483-C) and $7 for the cam adjuster gasket (06H-103-483-D) it's worth asking them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GTIguy30

Passed Driver's Ed
I see why it's so expensive now, they want to replace everything that that the cam bridge screen could've gotten lodged into. So that means the cam bridge, intake cam, and the special bolt on the end of the intake cam. By opening the cam bridge for the cam replacement they also need the special VW sealant which is crazy expensive. So much added cost and labor to chase down bits of cam bridge screen.

This is an odd one- part 06H103269H which is the upper timing chain cover. That isn't typically replaced since it has a removable gasket that can be purchased independently. Never heard anyone mention a need to replace this before unless they somehow damaged it when they removed it to diagnose the problem. Considering that's about $200 ($135 online) compared to $10 for the gasket (06H-103-483-C) and $7 for the cam adjuster gasket (06H-103-483-D) it's worth asking them.

right... Isnt it the lower one that is super easily damaged? (06H 109 210 AG)

I am pretty sure I didn't have the upper cover replaced when I did mine. I cannot even find the gasket on my parts list for my job, I think they re-used both.

Pooley

Ready to race!
right... Isnt it the lower one that is super easily damaged? (06H 109 210 AG)

Yup, almost no chance of removing the lower cover without bending it. Have had mine off twice and both times it bent as soon as I pried on it at all since it has liquid gasket material around the entire edge. The upper cover is reusable.

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
i have a 10 gti with 96k on the clock. im going in for the tensioner update in a week. from anyone that went though the tensioner update. did you guys updated the tensioner only? or did your do the complete update with the chains,guide, tensione? im asking because im in college so forking out 1000 will be hard unless i use my credit card. reason why im asking is because i also have a faulty intake manifold that needs to be replaced and im due for a carbon cleaning.
will i be fine if i just update the tensioner, get the intake manifold replaced and a carbon cleaning? or go in debt and do everything at one?
thank you

GTIguy30

Passed Driver's Ed
i have a 10 gti with 96k on the clock. im going in for the tensioner update in a week. from anyone that went though the tensioner update. did you guys updated the tensioner only? or did your do the complete update with the chains,guide, tensione? im asking because im in college so forking out 1000 will be hard unless i use my credit card. reason why im asking is because i also have a faulty intake manifold that needs to be replaced and im due for a carbon cleaning.
will i be fine if i just update the tensioner, get the intake manifold replaced and a carbon cleaning? or go in debt and do everything at one?
thank you

There will never be a good time to fork out $1000+ for a car repair, even once youre out of college. Most of the cost is tied up in the labor to get in there. As you see with the intake manifold, while it is off you may as well perform a carbon cleaning. As long as they are in replacing the tensioner, why wouldn't you spend the extra money ($300 in "other" parts?) to replace everything and feel better about it.

I've said it several times; I had over an inch of chain stretch and exhaust had skipped a tooth already and my old tensioner was still "in-tact". Had I not had them replace everything, I could've had bigger issues. Get a new chain, guides, rollers, etc. and a new cover because your old one will be toast taking it off.

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
There will never be a good time to fork out $1000+ for a car repair, even once youre out of college. Most of the cost is tied up in the labor to get in there. As you see with the intake manifold, while it is off you may as well perform a carbon cleaning. As long as they are in replacing the tensioner, why wouldn't you spend the extra money ($300 in "other" parts?) to replace everything and feel better about it.

I've said it several times; I had over an inch of chain stretch and exhaust had skipped a tooth already and my old tensioner was still "in-tact". Had I not had them replace everything, I could've had bigger issues. Get a new chain, guides, rollers, etc. and a new cover because your old one will be toast taking it off.

THANKS MAN, yeah sounds like im going to bit the bullet and do the the whole lot at one. i already have a replacement intake manifold on order. ill be holding off on parts and mods for the time being,

Pooley

Ready to race!
thank you
I'd have to agree with GTIguy30 and just pay the extra few hundred for the cam and balance shaft chains, new upper timing cover gasket, and the chain guides. If the tensioner is being changed out then a little of the labor is already being done. If you had more like 75kmi or less I'd just do tensioner, but at close to 100kmi it would be better to do both while it's already open. VW also changed the design of the chain so you would be getting the latest version if that as well.

I changed my tensioner myself at around 108kmi and ended up opening it all up again 20kmi later to change the chains and guides, plus my original upper timing cover gasket started leaking which I took care of at the same time. Some time after I did the tensioner the car started feeling "off" and it was due to the chain stretch. Car feels awesome now with the new chain, like I got a new tune on it. My car hasn't been running a stock tune since it had 25kmi or so which may have put a hurting on it, but by doing the chains now you shouldn't have to worry about it at all for as long as you'll have the car (or another 100-150kmi).

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
I'd have to agree with GTIguy30 and just pay the extra few hundred for the cam and balance shaft chains, new upper timing cover gasket, and the chain guides. If the tensioner is being changed out then a little of the labor is already being done. If you had more like 75kmi or less I'd just do tensioner, but at close to 100kmi it would be better to do both while it's already open. VW also changed the design of the chain so you would be getting the latest version if that as well.

I changed my tensioner myself at around 108kmi and ended up opening it all up again 20kmi later to change the chains and guides, plus my original upper timing cover gasket started leaking which I took care of at the same time. Some time after I did the tensioner the car started feeling "off" and it was due to the chain stretch. Car feels awesome now with the new chain, like I got a new tune on it. My car hasn't been running a stock tune since it had 25kmi or so which may have put a hurting on it, but by doing the chains now you shouldn't have to worry about it at all for as long as you'll have the car (or another 100-150kmi).

yeah im defiantly going to do it at once, im in corona,ca and i message a guy on the forum(giacuser who's building a 500whp gti) and he recommend a guy in riverside,ca who he has worked with for 9years. he quoated me 1200 for the entire timing chain, tensioner, seals, chain guide, and covers, and also include a carbon cleaning, so that an amazing deal. granded that im providing the new intake manifold. :happyanim:

GTIguy30

Passed Driver's Ed
If he is only charging you $1,200 to replace all that, and the only thing you are providing is the intake manifold that is a STEAL.

The parts alone for the timing chain (including cover) are about $700. And I paid about $900 in labor. That didn't include anything with the intake manifold or carbon cleaning, and that is no small job either.