GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB Intake review

JS12

Ready to race!
Yeah, Treadstone is the one I'm using. 3" - part #ACCH30 Shipping was a bit high, but it does what it's designed to do.

http://www.treadstoneperformance.co...yComb+MAF+Mass+Air+Meter+Airflow+Straightener

Bad pic in low lighting...the weird pattern making it look bent/uneven is just from the camera flash.

It's a tight fit but will eventually slide in. If you have a vacuum handy I'd suggest vacuuming around the intake tube once it's installed as I noticed a few tiny metal shavings on the bottom tray.

TRBO FRK

Ready to race!
Yeah, Treadstone is the one I'm using. 3" - part #ACCH30 Shipping was a bit high, but it does what it's designed to do.

http://www.treadstoneperformance.co...yComb+MAF+Mass+Air+Meter+Airflow+Straightener

Bad pic in low lighting...the weird pattern making it look bent/uneven is just from the camera flash.

It's a tight fit but will eventually slide in. If you have a vacuum handy I'd suggest vacuuming around the intake tube once it's installed as I noticed a few tiny metal shavings on the bottom tray.

Thanks for the pic. Did you end up glueing it down or just stuck it in there.

Last edited:

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
JS12 to do have any updates on your testing with the MAF straightener?

JS12

Ready to race!
JS12 to do have any updates on your testing with the MAF straightener?

Unfortunately, I could never get the fuel trims to stabilize with the COBB intake so I ended up returning it and replacing it with the IE intake instead. My issues went away after that swap. I also replaced the PCV at the same time as I noticed a tiny bit of oil on it, but it was running fine with the old PCV and stock airbox so I really can't pinpoint the issue.

I still have the slightly dinged up straightener lying around somewhere if you want it. I think you are local in DFW?

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
If it is not to badly damaged I would like to test it against the make shift one I have now.

ironskillet

Passed Driver's Ed
I did the same as above with the MAF airflow straightener. Before, I was throwing MAF codes and clearing them with the Accessport. I've had it in for about a week now and my fuel trims are stable now and no MAF codes. Just wanted to include that it seems to be working for me too.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Anybody know if this intake will fit with the APR OPS?

It doesn't look like it will. Fitting the OPS is more important to me than what intake I run, but I would like more than one option.

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
Hey Guys, Does anyone use the cobb intake with a non cobb tune? I would like to use the intake with my K04 GIAC tune. do you think that would cause any issues?

Thanks!

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Hey Guys, Does anyone use the cobb intake with a non cobb tune? I would like to use the intake with my K04 GIAC tune. do you think that would cause any issues?

Thanks!

As long as the tune accounts for the larger than normal MAF housing it should be alright. I have this intake and once I get my clutch and other supporting mods i'm, gonna go stratified and just let them know about the larger MAF housing.

Theocdgamer

Intake: COBB
Price: $395
Tune: COBB Stage 1+, Stage 2

Review:
I am very impressed with overall build quality, fit, and finish is excellent and on par with all the Unitronics intakes I have seen. You can see in the photos that the intake has a very even flow and a lack of any hard bends. The air flow from filter housing to turbo inlet is very smooth. I had the APR Carbonio stage 1 prior and I didn't like the fact that I had to buy the rear section separately. As cool as the carbon fiber look is, the cost of stage 1 with the stage 2 was just too much. I also wanted to see the benefits of using the 3” MAF housing. This also required me to change from Unitronic Stage 2 to the COBB AcessPort (I will cover this in a separate review). As you can see in the photos below the effort they put into the mount alone shows the time spent in design.

Sound:
It sounds very similar to the APR (without the darth vadar noise) but turned up 3 levels. This intake vs. stock is a big difference. You can hear the DV and has a subtle blow off sound, when off throttle.

Power:
As we all know the intakes don’t make a ton of power standalone, but when running a specific tune for that setup it works great. I don’t have dyno pulls with just the intake, but the power band feels a lot smoother and stronger.

Intake by Walkert., on Flickr

Filter by Walkert., on Flickr

Intake mount by Walkert., on Flickr

MAF mount by Walkert., on Flickr

[URL='https://flic.kr/p/FYc3Dj']Turbo intake by Walkert., on Flickr[/URL]
Thanks for the info and pictures think this is what I am going to go with .. just looks clean thank you

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the info and pictures think this is what I am going to go with .. just looks clean thank you
Sorry I have not updated this review. Cobb has discontinued this intake and sense released one the is similar to other intakes on the market that utilize the OEM maf housing.