GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hard to get into first gear

xnikita83x

Well I've tried my damnest to figure it out myself but alas, I need some help. So I have a hard time getting into first gear. I have to push the shifter hard to the left in order for it to slip in to position. I just replaced the short throw that was in prior which was an ECS cause it wobled like crazy (previous owner install). New short throw is good. It feels like the shifter itself is out of adjustment, like it's not lined up with the gate or something, when looking at the spindle that the short throw itself is sitting on, it's not going all the way down until u force the shifter itself hard to left. Every other gear is fine. Any thoughts?

GtiDom25

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I've tried my damnest to figure it out myself but alas, I need some help. So I have a hard time getting into first gear. I have to push the shifter hard to the left in order for it to slip in to position. I just replaced the short throw that was in prior which was an ECS cause it wobled like crazy (previous owner install). New short throw is good. It feels like the shifter itself is out of adjustment, like it's not lined up with the gate or something, when looking at the spindle that the short throw itself is sitting on, it's not going all the way down until u force the shifter itself hard to left. Every other gear is fine. Any thoughts?
Bad linkage or synchro maybe?

xnikita83x

Define bad linkage. And it's not a syncro I don't think cause I have no griding or getting into gear, it's just aligning with the gate.

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
I'm assuming you sent that so I can see how to adjust the cables. Well, that shows up to 2011. Mines a 13. In any case, I followed the instructions on the dfg shifter I just installed on cable adjustment....I don't know what other way to do it...or how I could've done it wrong.
When the pdf file was written it was back in 2011 but it will work with any year MK6 GTI vehicles. Mine did the same thing was hard to get in first gear and I went back to the adjustment procedure and has work flawlessly. If you adjusted the correct way then maybe something else is damage.

xnikita83x

When the pdf file was written it was back in 2011 but it will work with any year MK6 GTI vehicles. Mine did the same thing was hard to get in first gear and I went back to the adjustment procedure and has work flawlessly. If you adjusted the correct way then maybe something else is damage.

Gotcha, thanks man. I'll mess with it some more.